"Mulder, it's me." - The Truth is Back Out There.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The X-Files reboot is officially on, as if any x-phile didn't know.

Gillian Anderson twitted, "Mulder, it's me, are you ready?"

I can't even.

I have no idea what CC has in store, but I'm desperately, desperately hoping we're all, as a collective, from CC down, going to retcon that several things just didn't happen. Among them:

- the second film.

- the thing that happened to the Lone Gunmen.

- Moronica.

- The entire fucking clusterfuck of a finale save the last 2 minutes (the motel shot).

- William. He's at the Kents; lets just go with they found him in a field after a meteor strike and forget the entire damn storyline.

Things I would like answered:

- What happened to the clone kids/bee farm?

- What *actually* happened to Samantha? I refuse to acknowledge that inane child predator nonsense, though I like Paper Hearts.

- Where the hell is Kryceck? What was his relation to anyone, if anything, and did he kill William sr.?

- Can someone go find Marita and the damn kid? I don't care about Gibson, but Crispy Spender and Krycek both left Marita just wandering the hospital, and her hair was a mess and it was just not right.

- Can we ever get a clarification of the differentiation and why it exists, between shapeshifters and healers, and greys? I mean are they from different places? Are shapeshifters and healers the same, just some are pissy? What?

There are like a dozen more questions I'd like answered, some to do with mytharc, some to do with the overarching allegory, some to do with longstanding threads that were just left in the bong water at 10:13 prod.

What say you?

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I am so, so excited I can't tell you! I LOVE the X-Files. I was totally obsessed with it for years and years.

Although, I'm so over the Samantha storyline. Alive, dead, alien puppet, shallow grave, I don't give a shit. Just give me more Scully, more creepy monsters and keep Carter away from the purple prose and we're golden.

And yes, bring back the Lone Gunmen! And Skinner. It's not X-Files without Skinner.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I am so, so excited I can't tell you! I LOVE the X-Files. I was totally obsessed with it for years and years.

Although, I'm so over the Samantha storyline. Alive, dead, alien puppet, shallow grave, I don't give a shit. Just give me more Scully, more creepy monsters and keep Carter away from the purple prose and we're golden.

And yes, bring back the Lone Gunmen! And Skinner. It's not X-Files without Skinner.

I'm not even considering a world without Skinner. That's not up for discussion. Much as I love MP, it's not as if he's been super busy, so one would think...

I've grown weirdly nostalgic for CC's lumbering, laconic monologues. They were so irritating at the time, but now? Oh, I'm really excited to hear Scully intoning senselessly for minutes about the universe and whatnot.

I haven't heard anything but... if he could drag Vince Gilligan back for one, just even one. They should let DD write one too; his were really good.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be the X-Files without at least one wandering, half-incomprehensible monologue. :D

I'd like to see Darin Morgan write one of the episodes. And if they can come up with something as gruesomely disturbing as "Home" I shall be absolutely delighted.

Six episodes. We need to prepare a drinking game. "Drink the whole bottle when Scully gets ditched." (You know it's going to happen at least once.)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me they can just forget the entire mytharc thing. Just give us monsters of the week.

My fave ep of all time was "The Post-Modern Prometheus".

MM

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It would be nice if they put a little distance between them again. Near the end it was like they were of one mind, which actually didn't lead to them talking out the problem. Scully questioning his logic forced Mulder to say stuff out loud, which was part of the chemistry.

But that said, I'll still watch whatever they do! :D

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'm tentatively thrilled.

I cut my writing chops on XF fanfiction along with gaining a husband who sent me a fan letter about said stories...

But I'm leery about CC coming through with good stories. The second movie was a clustermess that shouldn't have made it for a single episode never mind a whole movie. Even though it's only for six episodes I hope it's a strong MOTW theme and less mytharggggh.

And does GA look faboo or what???

:D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm thrilled. Personally, I just want a few monster-of-the-week episodes, not too much of the tangled, deep conspiracy stuff to lead off with.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Shows don't exist in a vacuum. Esp cult shows – they are so intertwined with the times in which they are being written and aired that doing a reboot years later, even with all the same actors and writers, seldom strikes the right note.

I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm prepared to be disappointed. Of course, getting to spend some more time with Scully and Mulder not to mention Skinner will still be great fun, even if objectively the shows themselves are a little off.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm skeptical.

The mytharc should have ended at season 6.

Though season 7 still had some good monster-of-the-week episodes.

But I'm tentatively holding my breath.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be the X-Files without at least one wandering, half-incomprehensible monologue. :D

I'd like to see Darin Morgan write one of the episodes. And if they can come up with something as gruesomely disturbing as "Home" I shall be absolutely delighted.

Six episodes. We need to prepare a drinking game. "Drink the whole bottle when Scully gets ditched." (You know it's going to happen at least once.)

There is no Morgan without Wong!

X-F drinking games would put people on the floor so fast...

Drink when Scully uses a gloved hand during an autopsy to answer the phone.

Drink when Scully randomly performs an autopsy.

Drink when Mulder eats sunflower seeds.

Drink when you see the fish.

Drink when CC forgets something...

which I think was really more what happened than an M. Night Shamawhatever thing, though I think that was much more a one-trick pony situation. He had a good idea, made a good movie, then thought all his other 'surprises' were just as good, except they not only weren't as good, they weren't even mostly surprising.

Carter just sort of wandered off, high as a kite, thinking 'oh, this'll be cool,' and lost track of things he shouldn't, and thought he could drop things he couldn't. The LG thing was just flat wrong.

I think the second movie was meant as an apology to fans - like I think he really did it for fans, trying to give us what he thought we truly wanted, as an apology for Truth or something, but it was just so horrific (though I was pro-bee, so...). It seemed more like the president, amazed at the existence of supermarket scanners when let loose in the real world, than someone running wild with puffery, to me. I think he was trying and had no idea how far off the mark he was.

Same with Doggett and Moronica, kind of. Doggett was feared and turned out great, so he threw her at us like, 'oh, they'll accept someone else just fine, so we can stick a substitute Scully to the substitute Mulder.' Except no; so desperately no.

I'm all for MoTW, but I do want some kind of mytharch nods, or SOME kind of resolution of some damn thing. Just anything. I didn't care at the time, if we got any resolution, but at this point, after having promised resolution and never delivering, and then the second movie, just throw me a bone and explain some shit. Put it in a letter from CSM, find X's diary, whatever, I don't care. Bring back Michael McKean and have him explain everything in five minutes. Have Kryceck explain it while saying he's now running everything because Marita offed CSM and Crispy and Cassandra were taken by the healers. I don't care, just something. Answer some questions. Find Frohike's notes. Whatever.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Favourite episode is so hard...

I can't pick one, but I love:

Bad Blood

Syzygy

War of the Coprohages

Beyond the Sea (GA is so phenomenal in it)

Arcadia (it's not good as a MoTW but the M/S is so funny)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I am SOOOOOOOOO waiting on this!

Not that I've ever been a fan of either GA or DD, but they did work well together and the show was a blast.

I'm also wondering if they'll give some hints or closure to Mulder's sister's disappearance. Or if certain happenings will be revealed. And yes, if they get rid of ANY mention of that rotten second flick, then the world will be better for it. (Loved the first movie, left the theater during the middle of the second flick).

Gotta watch this. One of the best episodes: 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space'.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I am SOOOOOOOOO waiting on this!

Not that I've ever been a fan of either GA or DD, but they did work well together and the show was a blast.

I'm also wondering if they'll give some hints or closure to Mulder's sister's disappearance. Or if certain happenings will be revealed. And yes, if they get rid of ANY mention of that rotten second flick, then the world will be better for it. (Loved the first movie, left the theater during the middle of the second flick).

Gotta watch this. One of the best episodes: 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space'.

I didn't like the first movie - felt like it was 90% for non-x-phs, but the second one made me appreciate it more, I admit, heh.

Wither the bee farm Samanthas! It bugs me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
And now millions of Hunger Games fans will finally realize that Rue's "song" is actually made of the sound cue notes for the X-files. The truth indeed. :D

One of these days, I think I'll get a fishing boat, and christen it The Truth. Then I'll lend it out so can tell people "The Truth" is out there, and point mysteriously to the water.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I want to believe...

Unfortunately, the more I look at it, the more skeptical I find myself becoming.

First off, as rugcat mentioned, the lightning's out of the bottle; it's not the 90's anymore, and the magical chemistry of time and place and talent and storylines just can't be recreated. Especially after they irretrievably destroyed any hint of logic in their great mytharc with those later seasons. (IMHO, it happened the moment Carter decided to bag the invasion... after that, they had to scramble to come up with another point of the whole thing, and then they stayed on too long and wound up tripping over their own feet. Anyone who claims they can actually make sense of The Truth now has to conveniently omit several episodes' worth of revelations to do it. And this doesn't even count whatever they did in the "10th season" comics... are those canon? Yes? No? Anyone but a true die-hard phile know or care?)

Secondly, this is FOX, home of the rabid right-wing fearmongering birther bigots since Obama's first term (at least.) They always were a little off, but these days, I'm honestly not sure I can bring myself to tune in to the channel at all anymore. The only reason they green-lighted this was to play the nostalgia card in order to lure back viewers: Hey, remember when we used to run good programming? Unfortunately, many in the X-Files original demographic probably do not align with the network's current reputation. (Save the guvmint conspiracy crowd... but The X-Files tried to create an intelligent conspiracy, not ridiculous crud about chem-trails and raw hatred over the elected president. If the scripts measure up to the original run, it'll go right over their heads.)

And thirdly, this really reeks of testing the waters for a reboot... which, frankly, is the only way they'll ever make sense out of the Gordian knot that is the series mytharc. And, given the state of the country today and the stance of the network it's airing on, I'm almost afraid to see what a FOX show will pin on the government Conspiracy this time around...

What I think will happen is this: DD and GA return, probably doing a good job stepping back into their iconic roles because they're competent actors who have good chemistry. There may be a nod to Doggett and Reyes, but only a cameo, because so many of the rabid philes FOX is hoping to attract blame the duo for the show crashing and burning (which isn't fair at all, IMHO, when they really should've been given a spinoff instead of being expected to carry a self-destructing franchise. But I digress...) Likewise, there will be cameos/nods involving Skinner and other series staples, basically there to wave and smile to the audience with a "doesn't this bring back fond memories?" wink. There will be mytharc episodes, which will basically wipe the slate clean and establish Conspiracy 2.0, a new and "improved" version without all the impossible-to-reconcile contradictions and logic holes that appeared in the original series. And there will be a pair of new, younger FBI agents - possibly including William (a.k.a the baby they dropped faster than a hot potato when they couldn't figure out what to really do with him), all grown up now and ready to step into his parents' shoes, possibly without knowing who his real mom and dad are. Depending on audience reactions to the new agents, FOX may or may not order a whole new series, which will only involve DD and GA in cameos, if then. (I could see them killing off Mulder and/or Scully as a catalyst to the new series, especially if Baby William's one of the new-blood agents to pick up the torch.)

And somehow FOX will find a way to blame Obamacare for the aliens.

That said, I expect I may try one or two episodes... more out of fond memories of my days as an X-phile than out of any genuine hope that the magic can be recaptured in 2015.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
And now millions of Hunger Games fans will finally realize that Rue's "song" is actually made of the sound cue notes for the X-files. The truth indeed. :D

One of these days, I think I'll get a fishing boat, and christen it The Truth. Then I'll lend it out so can tell people "The Truth" is out there, and point mysteriously to the water.

Really? Most of them will probably scream about how The X-Files is ripping off the hunger games.

I'm definitely excited to see it back and see what they do. The sci-fi/horror angles were a great influence on my writing back then, though I never crossed into the realms of fan fiction.

I think as long as they accept in the new episodes that a lot of time has passed, they'll be off to a good start. Just don't jump back into the new episodes like the last season or movie just ended.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Duchovny is on Letterman and said that Mitch Pileggi and CSM will both be on the new eps. Dave tragically did not ask after Frohike, Langley, and Beyers.

:snoopy:

:partyguy:

:snoopy:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
There are a lot of ways this can go wrong. Bringing back Reyes and Dogget isn't one of them. (One of them could run the FBI by now.)

I liked most of the characters they brought in later. My favorite was Leyla Harrison. (Now, that would have been a spin-off I'd have loved to see. Leyla coming across accounting irregularities that keep leading to uncanny mysteries? Writes itself.) Actually, thinking about it, she should be running the FBI now.

Ways it could get wrong: They could give into the Zeitgeist of dragging one case out over six episodes, True Detective style. (Yes, I realize I'm probably alone in hating that kind of stuff.) Unless they really did it True Detective style, interviewing present-day Mulder and Scully about some of the stuff that didn't make sense in the Nineties, in which case I'd accept it as a trade-off.

But, really, I for one want Monsters of the week, embedded in an arc that connects it beck to when the show ended. X-Files was best when they toyed with their own premise, alternating between MOTW and mythology as well as horror and sheer silly fun.

Also problematic: Conspiracy theories aren't as innocent as they used to be, now that Fox News are spouting them. (Not to be confused with Fox's fiction department, btw, although they try real hard.) Unless they have an episode where they're ALL real in an over-the-top, hilarious way, there may be some dangerous territory there.

They could also be TOO careful about all that, which in my book is what was wrong about the second movie. (Which was alright and underrated, but it just wasn't an X-File.)

There is no Morgan without Wong!

Yes, there is. His name is Darin.

I heard an interview with X-Files Files host Kumail Nanjiani that confirmed they're bringing on a lot of seasoned writers including Darin Morgan. So at least one episode will be worth watching the whole run.

I cut my writing chops on XF fanfiction along with gaining a husband who sent me a fan letter about said stories...

Okay, forget about the reboot news. This just made my day.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways this can go wrong. Bringing back Reyes and Dogget isn't one of them. (One of them could run the FBI by now.)

Doggett, I'd maybe be ok with if they found some reason for him to still be hanging around, as his natural arc would seem to me to get out of dodge and head back to actual police work.

Any storyline involving Moronica save her being shipped off to, say, Kenya, or being tragically killed in some sort of filing cabinet accident I am decidedly not on board with. She was beyond awful. A drag on the show like a sixth-season sitcom baby.

I liked most of the characters they brought in later. My favorite was Leyla Harrison. (Now, that would have been a spin-off I'd have loved to see. Leyla coming across accounting irregularities that keep leading to uncanny mysteries? Writes itself.) Actually, thinking about it, she should be running the FBI now.

Oh, she irked the ever-living hell out of me. I did not think that shit was funny, and did not think CC was being tributory with it; I thought he was biting the hand that had fed him.

Ways it could get wrong: They could give into the Zeitgeist of dragging one case out over six episodes, True Detective style. (Yes, I realize I'm probably alone in hating that kind of stuff.) Unless they really did it True Detective style, interviewing present-day Mulder and Scully about some of the stuff that didn't make sense in the Nineties, in which case I'd accept it as a trade-off.

I wouldn't think they'd recycle the Albert Whatsisname deal just with Mulder and Scully as the old agents. Too much backstory and retcon combined and meh, imo.

They could also be TOO careful about all that, which in my book is what was wrong about the second movie. (Which was alright and underrated, but it just wasn't an X-File.)

I could only fully articulate my hatred of the mess that is the second movie given a large bottle of tequila and six or seven hours, heh.

Yes, there is. His name is Darin.

I heard an interview with X-Files Files host Kumail Nanjiani that confirmed they're bringing on a lot of seasoned writers including Darin Morgan. So at least one episode will be worth watching the whole run.

I meant Morgan and Wong generally cowrote, so I was saying they should write together.

I want Gilligan, goddamnit. He's not busy right this second, presumably. I would also like to see what DD would do. I got the feeling more than once that past about S5, he was the only one amongst him, GA and CC who actually tracked what the hell was going on.

Last edited:

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I meant Morgan and Wong generally cowrote, so I was saying they should write together.

No, there were two Morgans writing for the X-Files. Glen Morgan usually wrote with Wong, you're right. But younger brother Darin - he of Humbug, Clyde Bruckman, etc. - tended to write alone, IIRC, and he wasn't as prolific.

I was always guaranteed to love a Darin Morgan episode.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
It'll be interesting to see what might be done with the characters after the passage of years.

I found the stand-alone episodes good, sometimes great; but the overall mythology was tedious.

But it had one really clever aspect that wasn't often remarked upon -- the show exists in a topsy-turvy mirror-image of our world, in which "skeptics" are people who willfully ignore abundant evidence, and the burden of proof is on the person who doubts an extraordinary claim. (This was laid out in some dialogue early in the show, when the CSM asks Mulder something like "Why, in spite of all the evidence against it [alien contact concealed by a huge conspiracy], do you still believe?", and Mulder says, "Because the evidence is not entirely dissuasive.")

Last edited:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Just make it awesome. Is that too much to ask for?

I'll probably be disappointed, but I want to believe...

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm guessing

2 mythology episodes
3 monster-of-the-week
1 silly/absurd episode

Just to give people a taste of the whole gamut the show runs, since we've all pretty much agreed this is likely a tease to see how much interest there would be in restarting the show.

I think it would be a mistake to hinge more than two episodes on the mythology, since newer viewers wouldn't be aware of it all. I also think the mythology episodes were better spaced out, unless they were something like a three-part episode, ala Anasazi-The Blessing Way-Paper Clip.