Fortitude

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Was wondering if anybody else is watching a tv show called Fortitude. It's on a new cable channel called Pivot.

A British/Norwegian production, filmed in Iceland, it's set in a fictional town (Fortitude) on a real island. Svalbard, about halfway between Norway and the North Pole. More polar bears than people. (The bears are a significant part of the story, including an opening scene in the first episode you might see when you close your eyes at night.)

It's explained early on that, since everybody in Fortitude lives up there for a specific legitimate purpose -- many involved in the main business, a coal mine (which is closing, with the town's economy counting on a planned "glacier hotel") -- there's almost no serious crime and not much for the police to do. That changes in the first episode, and while we learn more about the place and its people, some things become clear while other things get darker and weirder.

The international cast is great, including Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccleston, and Stanley Tucci. The scenery is amazing and almost overwhelmingly harsh -- the kind of environment where you're very aware Mother Nature doesn't care whether you live or die.

Seven episodes have aired so far (I just got caught up with On Demand), and the seventh ends with a horrific scene that opens up a new level of disturbing strangeness. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo good.

Yeah. I'm surprised more people here aren't watching, the writing is fantastic. Nearly every episode takes things in a new and unexpected direction, lots of great characters, a beautiful setting (sure it's filmed in Iceland, not Svalbard, but it's still amazing) and a mystery within a mystery with a spec-fic twist.

Can't say too much for fear of spoilers.

But yeah, if you're not watching it, you should!

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I've been watching it - I think in Australia we're at least three weeks behind UK/US, though, so I've been hiding from spoilers.

I like it so far, but I'm a bit worried it's going to be one of those shows where the writers bite off more than they can chew and we either get a rushed conclusion or no conclusion at all. There are just so many little hints of things going on at the moment.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
What episode are you at Siana? I know what you mean about the conclusion, but where I'm at, I don't think the writers will have a problem there. Each episode has done a great job of ratcheting up the tension, while taking the plot in a new and often unexpected direction.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving it.

Richard Dormer (Sheriff Dan) deserves an Emmy. Fantastic acting.

Watched episode 11 last night and all I can say is:

:Jaw:

I'm torn because I can't wait to see the final episode but I don't want it to end. It's been gripping, beautifully written, gorgeous scenery....

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, don't tell me, I'm just on Ep 10.

Blown away by the writing and how they manage to keep a taut feeling of otherworldly suspense going for so long while showing so little.