The Walking Dead - AMC

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Good question. I'd probably take sober Herschel, but if there's no alternative, drunk Pete is better than nothing. They have to run out of booze at some point, right?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
They have to run out of booze at some point, right?
One of the most important questions in any apocalypse scenario. Fortunately, hard liquor doesn't go bad, so it'll be worth scavenging runs for years. And, people will find a way to make booze.

Come to think of it, one thing I'd want for any permanent settlement is a distillery producing ethanol -- both for drinkin', and for running vehicles (gasoline goes bad). Also biodiesel.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hershel was never much of a vet. He didn't even put one of those cone thingies on Carl.
That would be hilarious. There are so many movie and tv scenes where somebody gets emergency patching-up from a veterinarian -- why have I never seen a comedy where the patient wakes up with a cone?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something struck me about Pete. Alexandria needs him, but he needs Alexandria too. They could have separated him from Jessie, which he'd probably get mad over, but what's he gonna do about it, threaten to leave? Get him to spend one night outside the walls and he'll realize he is as much at the town's mercy as they are at his. Admittedly this is a bit of a risk as the guy might just be crazy enough to self-sabotage.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
They should put all the booze a mile outside the walls and tell Pete to go get it himself if he wants it. Good luck and away ya go!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I realize that Rick has begun to lose some of his oratory skills these past few seasons, but I was angry at the screen for the way this whole Pete things was handled.

I mean, yes, he went to Deanna like I wanted, but then it's all, "I'll kill him. We get to decide who lives and dies." It would have been much more successful, I think, if he'd suggested the separation idea or appealed to Deanna's need for ideal civilization. Like, what's civilized about forcing a woman to stay with an abusive husband.

She was just so scared, I guess, that upsetting the balance in any way would be devastating that maybe even that wouldn't have made a difference. And that's something I see in Deanna... terror that as much as she's tried to build this community, the slightest misstep is going to tear it all down, so much so, that they're all stuck in a stagnant dynamic that's going to get them all killed.

I mean, they could tell Pete he can't live with his wife anymore... They could have an intervention and make him sober up... but that would upset the status quo.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched a preview of the finale where Maggie is trying to explain that the group has lost so much and Deanna's response is to say "What you've lost?" as if Aiden's death supersedes everything. I want Maggie to start listing the atrocities they have been through for her- that woman needs a reality check. The apocalypse is no place for a politician.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I just watched a preview of the finale where Maggie is trying to explain that the group has lost so much and Deanna's response is to say "What you've lost?" as if Aiden's death supersedes everything. I want Maggie to start listing the atrocities they have been through for her- that woman needs a reality check.

I can see how, for Deanna, no other loss is as great as hers. She's a mother... however, the lack of this kind of empathy (I mean, how many family members did Maggie lose?) does not bode well for someone who is supposed to be a leader and responsible for keeping a disparate group of people together. Rick's much better at that, at seeing things from others' points of view, imo.

But she does need a reality check. On the one hand, I'm annoyed with her because she really does have no clue what's going on outside. She lacks the empathy she need to not only deal with her own people but also with the PTSD that's undoubtedly going to accompany anyone new she brings into the fold. I feel like she should defer in matters of survival to people who have actually survived. At the same time, though, I can understand this sudden, self-centered shock. This is the first very personal loss she has endured in the apocalypse. It's understandable she'd need a period of mourning where she can't see anything but her own pain.

It's not a time, though, when I feel she should be making big decisions.

The apocalypse is no place for a politician.
Some would argue any place is no place for a politician, but yeah, it's especially difficult to spin the apocalypse.

ETA:

Has anyone seen the sneak-peek trailer with Carol and Pete? Wow. [Eventually, she'll have secretly threatened to kill every person in Alexandria... all the while, baking her casseroles.]

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the sneak-peek trailer with Carol and Pete? Wow.

Bwahahaha! :D I love Carol. The best part about the character is that the writers were apparently planning to kill her off and McBride made a case for how the character could develop and got them to keep her on.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Bwahahaha! :D I love Carol. The best part about the character is that the writers were apparently planning to kill her off and McBride made a case for how the character could develop and got them to keep her on.

I want to be just like Carol when I grow up in a zombie apocalypse.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It's an amazing turn around for her.

When she started, she was a fairly timid character. I wasn't crazy about her arc from when her daughter was killed until the banishment because I felt like she really made bad choices at the prison.

Yet now, I feel like she's one of the most together people from the group. Her, Glen and Daryl.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Something struck me about Pete. Alexandria needs him, but he needs Alexandria too. They could have separated him from Jessie, which he'd probably get mad over, but what's he gonna do about it, threaten to leave? Get him to spend one night outside the walls and he'll realize he is as much at the town's mercy as they are at his. Admittedly this is a bit of a risk as the guy might just be crazy enough to self-sabotage.
That... is a FANTASTIC point.

I don't think Rick is perfect enough to think of that and enact it. He's good at being strong, but IMO he's not a great leader. I great leader isn't just someone to rally around, it's someone who's persuasive and level-headed who knows how to control their emotions.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
That... is a FANTASTIC point.

I don't think Rick is perfect enough to think of that and enact it. He's good at being strong, but IMO he's not a great leader. I great leader isn't just someone to rally around, it's someone who's persuasive and level-headed who knows how to control their emotions.

In all fairness Deanna apparently didn't think of it either. She was just hoping the abuse would go away on its own as best as I can tell.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
In all fairness Deanna apparently didn't think of it either. She was just hoping the abuse would go away on its own as best as I can tell.

That's pretty much the status quo for the whole town, though, isn't it? They're pretty much pretending nothing's changed, even though they're confronted with the changes every time they leave the walls. Then if something bad happens, they cut their losses, repaint reality, and go back to singing camp songs and hosting pot lucks.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The apocalypse is no place for a politician.
I have to disagree. A community of survivors needs people who can forge compromises between differing parties in order to get important things done. (That's what politicians used to do, even in the U.S. Congress. Our younger American members may never have witnessed this, but it used to happen.)

They really needed a compromise, somewhere between: A) doing nothing; and B) dragging Pete out of his house and publicly beating him to death. Rick is used to deciding things on his own; he didn't give nearly enough of a try at getting an agreement for community action.

Deanna must have some skills in this area, but, agreed, she's been needing a dose of reality. When she thanked Glenn for putting Aiden on his ass, I thought, "The world outside is gonna put Aiden on his ass in the form of horribly killing him." The Alexandrians really have been incredibly lucky up 'til now.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
How in the world did Gabriel manage to use a noose to pull the head off of one walker, smash the heads of 2 more walkers, and roll around on the ground crying without his glowing white shirt getting dirty???

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
How in the world did Gabriel manage to use a noose to pull the head off of one walker, smash the heads of 2 more walkers, and roll around on the ground crying without his glowing white shirt getting dirty???

Yeah, I did wonder about that. Miraculous.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
That was an epic finale. Favorite line? Carol: "Oh, sunshine. You don't get to have both."

I vote for: "I want my dish back--clean--when you're done." It must be such fun to write Carol's lines.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Great show last night.

I wasn't surprised Glen survived simply because I figured he's such an important character that I couldn't see the producers not giving him an on screen death.

The whole Father Gabriel thing annoyed me. The yea though I walk through the valley part was interesting, but the shirt part annoyed me. So does the whole scene with Sasha what he said to Deanna. Someone really needs to slap him. I didn't like that Deanna brought it up knowing she had no specifics of what he was saying or talking about. She's going to use that to try and oust Rick when for all she knows he's coo coo for cocoa puffs? And why didn't Maggie or someone else step up and say, "Well this is a priest who locked himself in his church and kept everyone out while they were being gobbled up."

In terms of Morgan, he seems to have gone all Mr. Miyagi. He could have killed those two and didn't and now red poncho guy bought it. But I'm a little disappointed with the whole Wolves thing. Seems like those 2 schmoos aren't all that deadly if they couldn't take on Morgan alone. Not that I don't see them being able to kill, but how did Bill and Ted take out Noah's community?

Lots to wonder about in terms of how certain conversations are going to go.

Rick and Deanna. (You were right)
Glen about Nicholas to Deanna
Daryl to everyone. (I can't leave you guys alone for a few days?)
Daryl & Aaron to Deanna (Well there are these dudes really into the letter W)

I also thought Abraham gave the most eloquent speech about Rick.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Best season finale to the best season of The Walking Dead since season 1. Really, really great, I thought.

I gasped and clasped my palm to my mouth about every 10 to 15 minutes. So gripping, surprising and suspenseful. That said, here are the problems I had with it.

Instant night. What was up with that? One minute it's afternoon and Rick knows that the door was open and walkers are streaming in, the next it's pitch dark and he's still running up and down the street looking for zombies. How much time passed? He didn't tell anyone in his own group and enlist their help?

What someone else already said about Gabriel's shirt. What up with that?

At the canning plant, even I noticed all the strings with cans hanging off them. Surely the extremely cautious and world weary Daryl and Aaron would have noticed that something was amiss with these trucks just sitting there with their doors closed. Why not bang on them first and listen to make sure there were no noises?

Sometimes zombies are all growly and noisy, and sometimes they're silent and stealthy. Sometimes they disintegrate when you touch them and sometimes they have unexplained Herculean strength. Like the one on top of Rick that he squeezed until its head popped off. (Great exploding head, btw.)

Why didn't Carl protest when Rick told him he wasn't allowed to go to the meeting? In the past, Carl has had real (teen) problems with Rick's fatherly protection, almost coming to blows (maybe actually coming to blows) with him over it. I found Carl's character arc stagnant this season. He's just following them all around carrying Judith. Granted, there are so many more characters, it's hard to focus much on every member of our core group.

LOVE Carol, but I'm surprised, given what Pete does later that night, that he didn't go for Carol right then and let her kill him. I did LOVE the fact that Rick looked to Deanna for guidance and she gave him the thumbs up to blow his g-d head off. Wahoo!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score

seriously. I get more crap on me when I eat spaghetti.