The Legend of Korra

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
The episodes just keep getting better. I'm really impressed. Great story, stunning animation and I love the characters.
I too am officially a fangirl.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving it. However... I had to watch it with 3 teen-age boys, who kept pointing out all the inconsistencies between the rules of bending now vs. the old show. For example, in the pro-bending matches, the fighters "run out of juice." Back in the battles against the firebenders under Zuko, nobody every ran out of anything! So... what gives?

It kind of takes away from the story when you have 3 critics in the room. *sigh*

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I'm loving it. However... I had to watch it with 3 teen-age boys, who kept pointing out all the inconsistencies between the rules of bending now vs. the old show. For example, in the pro-bending matches, the fighters "run out of juice." Back in the battles against the firebenders under Zuko, nobody every ran out of anything! So... what gives?

I'm sure this has something to do with personal energy waning and it effecting their bending, rather than the bending itself.

Besides, war does things to psyches to push personal stamina beyond normal control.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Lots of comments on the OMG wonderful show.

- the polar bear dog is a unique twist. I guess every Avatar has an animal companion, though they never suggested such with the original series.
- I like how they're linking the previous series with related characters. (police chief Lynn Bafong.) Though sometimes, I wonder about the intervening years. Did they keep Bafong for the power of the name or did Toph not marry?
- What relation does Amon have to Zuko or Osai? Could this somehow relate to what Aang did to the Phoenix King?
- Pro Bending Matches seems interesting. Would love to know why and how they came about.
- Are the only air benders those on the island of Republic city?

So much awesomeness to this show. So many questions to be answered...

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Lots of comments on the OMG wonderful show.

- the polar bear dog is a unique twist. I guess every Avatar has an animal companion, though they never suggested such with the original series.
- I like how they're linking the previous series with related characters. (police chief Lynn Bafong.) Though sometimes, I wonder about the intervening years. Did they keep Bafong for the power of the name or did Toph not marry?
- What relation does Amon have to Zuko or Osai? Could this somehow relate to what Aang did to the Phoenix King?
- Pro Bending Matches seems interesting. Would love to know why and how they came about.
- Are the only air benders those on the island of Republic city?

So much awesomeness to this show. So many questions to be answered...

Good questions. I have yet to see the latest episode. Crossing my fingers that I'll enjoy it. I'm still peeved about the finale of the original series, but the promo ep's were pretty good.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has something to do with personal energy waning and it effecting their bending, rather than the bending itself.

I think it was more that bending is, at it's heart, a martial arts. Pushing a martial arts for an extended period is TIRING. Most of the battles we saw in the previous show didn't last for hours and hours, they were relatively quick skirmishes.

Pro-Bending matches, from what I can tell, are...quite long.

Lord Hierarch

Registered
Reaction score
Does Anon's backstory make sense? Maybe its me... but it sounds, I don't know what the word is - convoluted?

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Watched the last ep. Probably my fav out of the three. Love the animation, though I can't say I'm crazy about the "benders can do no wrong" vibe I've been getting. I'd like to know what happened to the monarchical societies and how they're going to play into the rebellion. Also, it'd be cool if Koh and the "firenation's worst nightmare" thing somehow all factored into Amon's plan. As long as there's no rush to master the elements and defeat a big bad (boring) boss. I'm sick of ticking clocks to tell the truth.

And I'd really like to know what happened to Azula and Toph. Couldn't care less about Katara/Sokka/Zuko, though. I imagine that they got married and had families, which is a huge yawn for me as I never cared for the people they hooked up with.

At the very least, I might get my Zutara this time around. Mako's kind of a dick, but I like him.

As for the Amon thing? I've never cared for Bryke's villains. They can't do real villains justice. I'm imagining a Magneto-esque reveal with this dude. Nothing too deep. Some connection to either Tenzin or Toph's daughter. I'm surprised they aren't leaning more on previous characters, or their descendants. I think that's for the best.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been getting a "benders can do no wrong" angle. So far, I've been thinking that they've been subtly setting up the idea that the Equalists are actually right. I mean, Korra roughs up a guy whose just practicing his freedom of speech using her powers!

And, it even makes sense for a more hotheaded character like Korra to have her REAL challenge to be...growing up and realizing that just because you CAN solve things with bending (I.E, force), it does not mean you SHOULD.

My favorite rejoinder to Stalin's quote: "Violence is the solution to all problems, but it is rarely the best."

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I haven't been getting a "benders can do no wrong" angle. So far, I've been thinking that they've been subtly setting up the idea that the Equalists are actually right. I mean, Korra roughs up a guy whose just practicing his freedom of speech using her powers!

And, it even makes sense for a more hotheaded character like Korra to have her REAL challenge to be...growing up and realizing that just because you CAN solve things with bending (I.E, force), it does not mean you SHOULD.

My favorite rejoinder to Stalin's quote: "Violence is the solution to all problems, but it is rarely the best."

I hope you're right. Bryke has been pretty dense in the past with their messages. Well, their co-writers have. I despised the end of Jet, That Bloodbending Ep, and that ep where Aang got on his soapbox about Katara and her mother.

Are they writing all of these eps, or do they still have the same team from TLoA?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, but I thiiiiiink that they are. I have this weird idea that...if Avatar was their "Proof" show, like, "Hey, look, kids REALLY can take it", then Korra is their "All right, lets see what we can DO!"

Imagine it!

An entire show on par with Season 2 of Avatar...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the series and can't wait to see where it goes.

Anon could be Ozai but that would make him roughly 120 years old. True, Bumi has 112 and still a powerhouse. Ozai may have been released from prison later in life and had more kids so maybe a son or grandson of his. Another thought I had was he could be Azula's.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't want Amon to be related to any of the old characters. It just strikes me as a little too obvious, even for Bryke. I like the theory that Koh has something to do with it. Spirits, no face, big grudge with the Avatar ... makes sense to me.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I took Amon's backstory at face value--firebenders attacked his family and they couldn't defend themselves. That, plus the Triads that extort by using their bending, really gives the anti-bending movement some validity.

One of the things I loved best about Avatar was Zuko. A villain with a very good reason for being a villain, who over time evolved into a hero.

I hope they're going to give the new series the same kind of complexity.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Let's be fair. We only know a handful of Avatars (i.e., the two incarnations of the Avatar who have been the protagonists of the two series, and then Aang's four predecessors).

• Yangchen: female Air Nomad, and we don't know much about her; she might have had an animal companion.
  • Kuruk: male from the Northern Water Tribe, and the Avatar who first came into conflict with Koh the Face-Stealer. Don't know much else about him; he might've had an animal companion.
  • Kyoshi: Earth Kingdom woman. We know more about her than any of the earlier Avatar incarnations, and there's no evidence she had an animal companion (but no direct evidence she didn't, either).
  • Roku: Man from the Fire Nation. We know more about Roku than any but Aang or Korra, and here we *have* seen his animal companion. (Fang, a red dragon.)
  • Aang: Male Air Nomad, who had Appa.
  • Korra: Female Water Tribe, who has Naga.

It's possible that Kiyoshi, Kuruk and Yangchen had animal companions that we never saw in the limited bits of their lives that we've seen. But it could also be that Roku's close bond with Fang was formative enough that even in later incarnations, the Avatar seeks out an animal companion to fill that role in his or her life.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw Voices in the night!

THOUGHTS!

Who else thinks Sokka gave Ford Motors...er...I mean Future Industries their first payment? It's just the kind of crazy plan that Sokka would go for!

The Equalists keep seeming like...not that bad. Frankly, if I were a non-bender, I'd want to learn chi-blocking just in case I needed to use it. I mean, Aman is clearly a megalomaniac, but the scariest kinds of bad guys are the ones who have a really good point.

OH MY GOD THE OUTFITS IN THIS SHOW ARE AMAZING.

1920 big band and jazz! GLEE!

Asami Sato is SO VERY SEXY.

Flashbacks!

OLD SOKKA! OLD TOPH! OLD AANG! They all look immediately recognizable, and yet aged! Old Sokka looks so humorless...I'm so nostalgic!

*rewatches the old show*

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Just saw Voices in the Night as well!

Adult Sokka looked so serious, I didn't recognize him at first.

And, okay, I confess, it's driving me crazy that we haven't seen either any images of Zuko beyond his teenage years or any of his kids. (Who, since they'd be part of the royal family back in the Fire Nation, you'd kinda think would be important.) I feel like they're going to set up Korra with the firebender in the group just to appease the Zutara fans.

I also want to know who besides Katara is still alive. (She's careful to say most, not all, of her friends are gone.) I'm placing my bets on Suki.

I think Amon is a descendent of someone from the old series, and I think his backstory is only half true. I just have no idea which half. (Hmm, maybe he's Zuko's kid? His age sounds about right, and it would be accurate for him to say that his father was attacked by a firebender.) I don't think he's old enough to be Ozai, and that would feel really cheap to me, recycling the same villain for another show.)

I'm always impressed with the writing on this show. Even in the old show, when they tried to drive the message a little too hard, it's still way above the writing of most shows aimed at that age group.

Last edited:

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Just watched voices. The animation keeps getting better and better.

The jazz just seemed out of place, imo, though. I do like the change in tone from the former show. I wish they'd get to developing Bolin and Mako, though, before they start introducing other characters. I like that they're working on Korra actually fearing shit (unlike the other "fearless" Katniss wannabe heroines I've seen).

Still siding with the equalists. Finally, a good explanation for why a villain doesn't just kill the hero when they've got the prime opportunity.

And I second that Asami is hot. Seems like they're following up the (lack of) Jin romance from season 2. Perhaps we can get a decent love triangle this time around. I really don't care who ends up with who as long as it's not rushed and cringe worthy.

And, I don't know if you guys read the miniseries comic (I haven't, but I read the summary). Dante Basco signed on to voice Zuko, but perhaps he died young? Perhaps Aang had to kill him? Maybe that's connected to Amon? Anything but him being Ozai.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Finally, a good explanation for why a villain doesn't just kill the hero when they've got the prime opportunity.

He-he, I thought the exact same thing while I was watching it. ^_^

Me: Okay, what's his lame excuse for not killing her when he has the... oh. Fine, then. That's a good reason. Carry on.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I feel like they're going to set up Korra with the firebender in the group just to appease the Zutara fans.

Done tastefully, I have no problem with it. But I was a Zutarian, so... :yessmiley

Seriously, though, if you include romance in your show, I think it should be done just as well as the other elements. Give it due attention without turning it into a romantic plot tumor, or making it seem like an add on. That's my problem with Young Justice.

Lady Goddess

*insert something epic here*
Registered
Reaction score
Done tastefully, I have no problem with it. But I was a Zutarian, so... :yessmiley

Seriously, though, if you include romance in your show, I think it should be done just as well as the other elements. Give it due attention without turning it into a romantic plot tumor, or making it seem like an add on. That's my problem with Young Justice.

I swear to God I thought I was the only person who hated the romance in Young Justice. It was doing fine without it.

But I agree. As long as it's done tastefully and not forced like Young Justice was then I've got no problem with it either.

I've already decided I'm gonna buy this show when it comes out on DVD. :3 I watched the first Avatar and I was a fan, but Korra is my type of girl. I'm hanging on the edge of every ep.