Arrow

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The TV shows are tinkering with a lot of canon anyway. I would love to see them put a spin on Stewart. Look, Diggle should have been a minor character. But the way fans have attached to him is important. I think there's room in a TV series for a character that maybe doesn't play quite so well in comics.

I don't want them to remake him into Stewart, because I like him a lot just as he is (as a person). But I think there's room to make this happen, and to play out very well.

I think production costs will skyrocket with a Green Lantern. I'm not setting a high bar for the special effects. But we'll see if this comes about.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Even if they make him the Lantern on the show, it doesn't mean he'll be the Lantern in the films. The guy who plays Oliver has already voiced his annoyance that the films aren't using the TV actors in the main roles. Diggle as Lantern would add a bit of superhero diversity to the small screen, and that's something sorely needed.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think turning Diggle into Green Lantern would go way off the rails. Suddenly, here are an alien race in a television universe that's been pretty human-based. Nobody has supernatural powers. It's all science-based at this point. I realize Green Lantern stuff could fit, yes, but Arrow has been pretty low-fantastic--even in regard to the superheroes and villains we've seen so far. Boosted strength, super speed (the Flash), super-healing. Many have just been trained to kick ass with no science/supernatural help: Canary(s), Dark Archer, Green Arrow, Red Arrow, and Thea to some extent.

It would change the entire tone of the television series. Could it work? Possibly, but it would require fans suddenly going from human-centric (with help from science in some cases), to alien-technology. That's a pretty dang big jump.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
If they did it on the show, I'd be fine with it, because I like Ramsey (dude playing Diggle) and I like his character. The John Stewart of the comics and the Justice League cartoon was just a smug dick with no personality.

For it to work in the films, at least for me, they'd have to totally change the character by...you know...actually giving him a personality other than "cardboard dick" and casting Idris Elba.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they're intending to ret-con the Lantern lore itself. Make it technology based, rather than of alien-origin.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm waiting to see how they handle Ray becoming the Atom and how they tackle Atom scenes. If that works, and works well, I might be on board with Dig as GL.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Loved the latest ep. Thea makes up for three years of not getting a clue, and the show is back to its earlier form in that all the women in Ollie's life get to call him out on being wrong, and they're always right about it. That used to be my favorite thing in most of season 1.

I'm waiting to see how they handle Ray becoming the Atom and how they tackle Atom scenes. If that works, and works well, I might be on board with Dig as GL.

My sentiment exactly. They already seem to be way off the comic book version with Ray (I don't recall the comic book Atom using an armored suit to turn small), so if they can pull that off, they might find a good spin on the Lantern, too.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Well now. Interesting turn(s) of events!

Spoilers...
<<< Felicity got some. About time! I'm warming to Fel-Ray more and more.

I'm liking that Ray got a solid first run in his suit. Yes, he's just like Ironman, but come on. It's awesome. I want him to go do something heroic now. And with Felicity in the middle, she'll know who Arrow is AND who ATOM is and whoah... girl's going to keep a lot of secrets from two men she cares about.

And the final deal, of course, Ra's al Ghul asking Ollie what he did. Whoooaaaaah moment. That's going to put a a big wrench into things.
<<<<

Solid episode. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of look for Felicity to drag the boys into the same room and out them both to each other so they can avoid another round of "Felicity knows too much."

The ending was very, very interesting. There's no telling how long Ra's will live, and I doubt he's mentioned the offer to his daughter. This also seems like the kind of deal that's only asked as a courtesy. Ollie may not have an actual say in the matter. On the other hand, if he actually does have a choice, I can see him accepting because it's a viable, bloodless bargaining chip to save his sister. (No way is Nyssa going to kill her.) He'd probably save Malcolm, too, which might alter the balance in Malcolm's life. Without the threat of death-by-League hanging over him, he might become a different kind of character.

It was a great episode.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I guess Bruce Wayne was busy? Or maybe Ras felt intimidated because Bruce was actually able to beat him in a fight? There weren't any Green Arrow stories left from the comic books left to mine, so they had to go after classic Batman stories? I'm at a loss.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read the comics, so pfft.. this is all cool to me.

I wonder, though, if <<< Merlin might end up taking over instead. We know Ollie won't do this. He belongs in Starling. Merlin with all that power would be pretty scary. And what if this was Merlin's plan all along? >>>

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm WAY behind in both series. However, something just occurred to me.

Don't Merlin and Wells look similar?

Hmm...

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I've been wondering about the apparent lack of Batmen in DC's TV unverse since the first time anybody mentioned Ra's, way back in Season 1. Maybe they wanted to make a point that this is a bat-free version of the universe. Just to set it apart from the cinematic universe that's so Bat-Centric that the producers officially ruled out jokes, and also has a different Flash.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the apparent lack of Batmen in DC's TV unverse since the first time anybody mentioned Ra's, way back in Season 1. Maybe they wanted to make a point that this is a bat-free version of the universe. Just to set it apart from the cinematic universe that's so Bat-Centric that the producers officially ruled out jokes, and also has a different Flash.

I'm not sure. Hmmm. Maybe something to do with certain rights? One never knows.

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the Arrow/Flash producers said there would be no mention of Batman or Superman on the shows. So maybe Arrow is their Batman analogue and Atom will be the substitute for Superman?

Also, I don't think Metropolis or Gotham have ever been mentioned on either show, and Bludhaven seems to be very close to Starling City (in the West), whereas in the comics, I think Bludhaven was near Gotham, on the East coast.

Oldborne

Registered
Reaction score
Supes is arguably my favourite DC hero (controversial), but I'm really glad that CW aren't including him or Batman. They're show stealers. You can't include these powerhouses without having the show become about them.

I do feel they should be perhaps mentioned, maybe just in passing, but no more than that. We'll see where the writers take it, though.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think Diggle's comment to Ray at the wedding may be one of my favorite lines of all time.

"Hurt her, and they'll never find your body."

And yet, Ray thinks Ollie is the dangerous one.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think Diggle's comment to Ray at the wedding may be one of my favorite lines of all time.

"Hurt her, and they'll never find your body."

And yet, Ray thinks Ollie is the dangerous one.

Heh. Yeah. One of my friends said something similar to my husband at our wedding. I think Ray just shrugged it off as a "friends do that" thing.

Really liked the episode. Going to miss Deadshot, though.

Hey - when did Laurel officially dub herself "Black Canary"? Sara was just "Canary," and of course, the comics have Dinah as "Black Canary." Just wondering how Ray came to the moniker. Or was he just waxing poetic?

TheEchelon

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, that was a hilarious part. It sucks they missed their honeymoon for a crooked Congressman's plot :(

Yeah I know! That pissed me off! I hope Deadshot somehow survived. I've liked him since his introduction in season one.

I'm not too sure when she got coined that name. It must have been a short scene we overlooked?

Question: What do you guys think of Ollie being persuaded to take the place of Ras? I think it would give him an enormous amount of resources to do far more than what he can do presently. Why focus on one city when you could try to save the world? And, come on, a fountain that makes you almost immortal? That's quite the offer.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But it's a Faustian offer. Yes, the pits make you immortal, but they also strip your humanity every time you use them. The longer Oliver lived, the colder and more like the current Ras he would become.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I do feel they should be perhaps mentioned, maybe just in passing, but no more than that. We'll see where the writers take it, though.

You know, when Brick mentioned a certain red blur, for a few minutes there, I thought they had. Then I remembered another red blur a bit "closer to home."

Dammit.

TomMcClaren

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just stoked for the last episodes of the season. But, even if there's a re-match between a certain main villain and Olly, I just keep thinking about the Lazarus Pit from the comics. Either way, I love the show. The action is on point, the romance (Though I'll take Felicity over Laurel any day of the week), and while the dialogue can be cheesy at times, the flashbacks to the island are so good. I loved season 2 with Deathstroke!

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so we know they're (probably) doing a spin-off show with Ray, Martin Stein and a few others from Arrow/Flash, plus they said there'd be three never-before-seen (on TV) heroes; I think they already announced Hawkgirl, but in tonight's Arrow episode there was a prominent mention of Opal City...so could one of the new heroes on the spin-off be Starman? Or would that be too much to hope for?