The Flash (CW) - Possible Spoilers

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, that was fun! They moved the major story arc a lot further than I thought they would. The Trickster(s) were great. Loved the SW line from Hamill. Loved the Harrison Wells backstory. And loved that reveal at the end of the episode...I totally did not expect that.

Lot's of fun.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Yeah, a fantastic episode. I loved Mark Hamill's blend of his earlier trickster, his years voicing the Joker, and a decent dose of Hannibal Lechter.

The Reverse Flash subplot was also great, and I loved the way it was revealed intercut with the rest of this episode.

One little touch I noticed: If in the original timeline the Flash comes to be in 2020 (with the creation of the reactor), then he would have been about the right age for the original Barry Allen Flash who was decidedly an older man than this Barry Allen.

One thing I wonder: How much of original Well's mind is in Thawne now?

Too much to hope for: That Barry not only saves his mother, but saves the real Wells so we can have Tom Cavanagh in later seasons playing the not evil version of that character.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wells: "Barry, run at a wall and get rid of the highly explosive incendiary device on your arm!"

Barry: "Okie dokie!"

*charges tanker truck while wired to highly explosive incendiary device*

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wells: "Barry, run at a wall and get rid of the highly explosive incendiary device on your arm!"

Barry: "Okie dokie!"

*charges tanker truck while wired to highly explosive incendiary device*

Okay, I was like..."In what universe is a tanker truck a wall?"

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
And what's up with Thawne/Wells, the man who lectures at length against fouling the timeline, moving a word-changing / paradigm-shifting event like the reactor explosion up 20 years?

He created a friggin' paradox.

If Eobard-prime, who wasn't Wells, was the one who killed Barry's mom, then Eobard-prime's timeline has to remain intact for that event to occur. By altering when and how Barry got his powers, he's altered the timeline.

He's also removed people from the timeline - by killing them in the reactor explosion and exposing them to people who were changed by the reactor, and added new people who never would have been born - by virtue of different couples having different children. He's also altered who gets what abilities and how they use them. No one in Eobard-prime's original timeline would have the same powers, because the reactor went off 20 years early and affected different people.

Bad time-traveller! Bad! Go sit in the 5th corner of a tesseract, right now!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Maybe the Speed Force lowers a person's IQ. The faster the legs, the slower the brain.

A lot of problems would be easily solved if Reverse Flash could get back to the future early enough to stop himself from leaving. By now he must have figured out he never had to kill Barry. There's no reason to believe a Wells-constructed reactor would have blown up. The only reason the Flash exists is because Reverse Flash had to create him in order to get home. Bad time-traveler indeed. Did he learn nothing from The Terminator?

Best line of the night: "I am your father."

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Eobard Thawne, what's that power you have on?
Could it be a stolen pose from days gone by?
And when I hear you cry "Little Barry's got to die!"
There is red and yellow lightning in the sky.

(tune: "Delta Dawn" by Tanya Tucker)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
That was a ton of fun, all because of Mark Hamill. Oh, so much fun!

But agreed about the problems with Thawne saying he needed to move events up. **shakes head** Especially with his constant checking in to see if the future has been altered, it makes zero sense that he'd so blatantly change the future by A) killing Wells and his wife and B) moving up the particle accelerator explosion by five years. I want there to be a way to make this work, but I'm blanking.

Gawd, I wish the showrunners would do an AMA.

That all being said, I'm torn about how I feel with the Wells/Thawne reveal. Sort of glad, because I want to like Wells. Sort of meh, because why?

And oh, if only there were a way for Tom Cavanaugh to stay on after the Wells/RF arc runs its course. Absolutely love him.

Last thing: For the love of all things superhero, can the men please, with sugar on top, let Iris in on the big secret? It's sort of getting ridiculous how many people know except for her.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hamill was AWESOME as the Trickster. My favorite line of the night wasn't the Star Wars flavored one. I liked his response to the quick-inoculation by the Flash when he said "that doesn't seem sanitary."

My problem with the show was the bit with Barry's dad being taken hostage. How did that happen?

The Trickster was in an isolated cell beneath the prison. Barry's dad is in the regular cell block, but it seemed like no one saw the kidnappers or tried to stop them. They explained why he chose Barry's dad, but not how he got passed all of the guards to get to him.

I also expected Trickster #1 to confess that he wasn't Trickster #2's dad with a flippant "Tricked you!!!"

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
My problem with the show was the bit with Barry's dad being taken hostage. How did that happen?
I totally rolled with that one for the sheer joy of having the original Trickster and original Flash share a delicious scene. :D

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Bad time-traveller! Bad! Go sit in the 5th corner of a tesseract, right now!
Yeah, honestly, the show's just... it's not doing well with time travel. I do hope they pick it up as the show goes on.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
If Flash goes back and stops the real Wells from getting killed, then doesn't the real Wells not do the whole particle accelerator and create Flash?

I loved the moment where Barry showed Eddie he's the Flash, but felt cheated because I wanted to hear Eddie's reaction.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Yeah, the best part about those reveals is to see the characters react to it. They made the same mistake a day later on Arrow.

Hamill was AWESOME as the Trickster. My favorite line of the night wasn't the Star Wars flavored one. I liked his response to the quick-inoculation by the Flash when he said "that doesn't seem sanitary."

Agreed 100%. The SW line was fun, but it made me wonder how often Hamill had to do something like that in the last 30 years. The "sanitary" line was so off-beat, it just rocked.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I had a weird dream last night where Flash had to save his father in prison from a bunch of inmate who wanted to kill him. He did, but the fight opened something buried in a wall that sent out these creatures and Flash had to stop them. By the time he did he was hurt and was going to get killed by the inmates himself until The Vision showed up and saved him. How weird is that? Flash is DC, and Vision is Marvel!

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I hated last nights episode!!!!! Hated it!!!!

Great story. Wonderful performances. Some cool plot twists.

Hated the episode!!!!

Loved how we got to see Eddie interact with Flash, the opening was fantastic!

Hated the episode!! Despised it!!!

Great that they're bringing Cisco and Caitlin in on the Wells conspiracy.

I hated the show!!!

Ray was cool and love the homage pun to Superman when he arrived.

But the episode was pure evil! Why you ask?

I HATE BEES!!!!!!!!!!

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Did they explain in-episode why Barry couldn't (literally or figuratively, your pick) run circles around those bees? I may have missed it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did they explain in-episode why Barry couldn't (literally or figuratively, your pick) run circles around those bees? I may have missed it.

No, they did not. Kinda big plot hole. He could have whirlwinded those bees, or phased through them.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. One minute, he's flying through the streets, sweeping up record breaking numbers of criminals, and the next, he's all "HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE?!!!!" even though the screen clearly showed him zigging and zagging through parts of the building not infested with cyber-bees.

I did like how they handled Cisco's memory flashes.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Carlos Valdes is doing a good job conveying a very thoughtful person beginning to have worrying thoughts. I like how he is sort of remembering the original, altered timeline where Dr. Wells killed him.

But the bees, sheesh. My youngest and I were watching together and at that point we turned to each other and said Wait, the Flash can't outrun bees?

The Flash can outrun lightning! Bees, to him, should be fat little goldfish floating in the air lazily waving their little fins in figure-8s.

That was ridiculous.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to make a guess about what happened.

I'd bet that the night of 1000 arrests scene with Eddie (the opening scene) was shot last / tacked on. Before that, I'd also bet that there was a moment where Barry voiced his reluctance to run at top speed because he's afraid of breaking the time barrier again, but it got scrapped so they could have the madcap-cop opener.

I could be completely wrong, but it would at least explain his inability to outrun the swarm.

And I forgot how much I loved EVERY line Felicity had in this episode (especially the nemesis one), and the "It's a bird! No, it's a plane!" intro for the Atom, considering Brandon Routh's past role of Superman! :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. One minute, he's flying through the streets, sweeping up record breaking numbers of criminals, and the next, he's all "HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE?!!!!" even though the screen clearly showed him zigging and zagging through parts of the building not infested with cyber-bees.

I did like how they handled Cisco's memory flashes.

Highlight of the episode. I'm wondering if the real HW could regain life by means of such memory flashes. I like Tom Cavanagh too much...and after all someone has to remain Barry's Starlabs contact/helper. We know that sooner or later the other two have different destinies: Killer Frost and Vibe.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Highlight of the episode. I'm wondering if the real HW could regain life by means of such memory flashes. I like Tom Cavanagh too much...and after all someone has to remain Barry's Starlabs contact/helper. We know that sooner or later the other two have different destinies: Killer Frost and Vibe.

I'm kind of hoping that Barry can rescue real Wells in the past, but I suspect they are setting up to have Tina McGee take over next season.

<Ship Ahoy>
They might even have a relationship start with her and Henry Allen, thus increasing the flashback risk for those of us who liked the '90s series.
</Ship Ahoy>