Avengers: Age of Ultron

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's the final trailer, though, just a sneak peek. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A semi-geek interpretation of the trailer. (Much speculation, and therefore spoilers, abound):

The first voice-over: Ultron, admonishing the humans that while they want to protect the world, they don't want it to change. He's an AI, and like Skynet and the Borg before him, he's determined that the only way to achieve order is through chaos. So long as humans are in control of the world, it's going to keep being awful. And to make it worse, this dude's got just enough of Tony's personality to manifest his arrogance. This is Ultron's "I am Iron Man," moment.

We get glimpses of bad things. Cap's in shock. Bruce looks like a shell rocking on the floor - Ultron's pushing buttons. He knows their moves and counter moves, and he can't be reasoned with, threatened, or seduced in the way a flesh and blood enemy can.

The "puppet" version of Ultron appears, and everyone's got a Oh $%*& look on their faces -- They killed him, but being that he's Tony's creation, he doesn't die easily, and he's put himself back together. It's no prettier than Tony's cobbled together tin can from the first Iron Man, but it's got him on his feet, and out of "the system" Tony had to control him. But the biggest thing to take away, is that he's now self-aware. The head-crushing of the other robot is sentient, self-built Ultron destroying one of the drones that were his original form. He was basically the next incarnation of Tony's legion of super-suits, and now he's condensed himself into a single body.

The creepy Pinocchio voice over of the singing boy - pure Disney, as P is a Disney film - and it's a beautifully creepy juxtaposition. Ultron is "real" now, and he's a real threat. Here's where we'll see the team fracture, likely in preparation for a "type" of Civil War (licensing restrictions prevent a fully loyal version). Nick Fury's "hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned" speech will come into play, as will the council's fears about the Avengers being allowed out. New people will enter the fray, ushering in "the age of miracles" from the post-credits scene of the last Captain America movie. The gov't will want to lock them down so they can pretend to be in control. Others will say that the world is safer when the "good" guys are free to roam. The war will start over who gets to decide which ones are good.

Enter Pete and Wanda a.k.a. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. (And they'd better be prepared to up the ante from slo-mo Pentagon kitchen scene in Days of Future Past, or their Quicksilver's going to become a nerd pariah.) My guess is that Ultron will "rescue" them from their cages, convince them that he's on the side of those who don't want to be controlled, and get them to help him in his quest to destroy pretty much everything under guise of them seeking vengeance or justice.

They'll figure him out and switch sides, bringing two more Avengers on board, but totally freaking out the government contingent.

Tony's "end of the road" speech likely isn't at the end of the movie. I'd bet it's at the beginning, when they first get a glimpse of the Ultron-bots and things are still seemingly going good.

Someone's upset Wanda, and that is really - really - bad. In the comics, the last time she had a break-down, she depowered like 95% of the supers in the Marvel-verse. No one wants to face a ticked off Scarlet Witch, and I'm guessing that's where the Hulk buster armor comes in. She's using the Hulk as her own personal shock troop of one; Tony has to devise a way to put him down, and rather than kill Banner, I'll go ahead and wager that he sends the jolly green giant into space. (Where he'll meet up with Peter Quill and the rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy in Phase Three.)

In conclusion, the Avengers have unleashed Chaos onto the world. Remember, this is a bridge movie, so things won't end well. (Think of this like the Marvel version of Han Solo going into the carbonite.) They'll win the day, at high cost, gain some allies, but still be broken. They'll be almost at rock bottom, so that once they hit it act three can begin and we'll start the climb through phase three, culminating in the face off with Thanos over the Infinity Gauntlet.

We didn't see the Vision, but given that he's voiced by the same actor who plays JARVIS, I'd also guess that he's built in response to Ultron's awakening and defection. Tony will do what Tony does and that's try to push forward by pure stubbornness, meaning that he'll keep combating one AI with another until he gets it right.

And that is why the geeks are freaking out. Marvel's about to light the fuse on a universe-wide explosion that will feed into the remaining franchises from here on out.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there will likely be 2-3 more trailers released over the next few months. Just a taste!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
How did you get all that from a couple flashes of scenes that looked like something culled from the last movie? I"m in agreement with Toothpaste:
This must be a trailer for the fans of the comics who understand the characters etc because for folks like me all I saw was misery and yet more fighting in another big city setting like the first one. I found this trailer terribly dull and nothing new or inspiring about it. But all the fans are going nuts over it and I enjoyed the first one. So I guess I have to wait for a trailer that gives a bit more information to us non-fans and hope I too get to get excited about it.

And as I said, I'm a Silver Age Marvel fan boy. Captain America to me, is among the greatest comic heroes ever, but this just looks more of the same, Avengers facing some monstrous power, this time a robot-like thing instead of the alien invaders we saw last time. I've geeked out over each new Marvel movie release, and each one has been better than the last. Marvel kept improving and upping the ante, but this time it seems they've plateaued. Maybe once they begin releasing real trailers instead of this leaked sneak peak, I'll be able to get onboard. At least I hope so. I'd hate to think the superhero movie genre already hit its peak and is on the downward slide. I'll have nothing to watch then.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
And that is why the geeks are freaking out. Marvel's about to light the fuse on a universe-wide explosion that will feed into the remaining franchises from here on out.

A great resounding YESSSSSSSSSSSS to everything you said here. I SO CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE. :D

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
How did you get all that from a couple flashes of scenes that looked like something culled from the last movie?

What wasn't culled from the last movie - a giant, creepy-voiced robot quoting Pinocchio and making the Avengers quiver like scared children. That right there is what's making us geek out - the glimpses we get of the danger presented by a sentient AI that can leave Hulk a broken mess huddled in the fetal position, that can break Cap's unbreakable shield in half, and that can bring the Scarlet Witch to her knees while she screams in either agony or rage. It's the idea that there will be no quick fix this time - no blowing up one space ship and every alien powering down. No Hulk smashy-smashy, because this AI is more powerful than him. This trailer so heavily implies that this movie is going to break the Avengers apart and change the game forever.

Seriously, how does that bore you guys? IT'S SO EXCITING!!! :p

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All I saw were flashes of broken streets and cars being hurled around. Just like the last movie. I did see Hulk smashing a car against Optimus Prime. I saw some girl screaming, but had no idea who it was or what it meant. And the Cap shield thing just made me think, "I thought that was indestructible."

As I said, there wasn't anything there that left an impression on me because it all happened too fast. I'm hoping they release a more cohesive trailer soon.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they will. This is the "fan trailer," which was supposed to be released next week during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Someone leaked it, so Disney rolled with it and went ahead and did a wide release.

It's like a comicon trailer. It's made with the assumption that most of the people seeing it will get the references.

Some of the speculation is also based off bits of what's already been released or leaked about the movie - like the scene of the Avengers playing "Let's Lift the Hammer" in Tony's living room that was released earlier.

Semi-spoiler, mostly conjecture:

A scene like that indicates to me that Thor's going to be taken out of the fight at some point and one of the others will have to lift the hammer. Likely Cap, since he's done it in the books and he'd be the only one of the Avengers truly "worthy" by Odin's standards. Tony's too full of himself, Black Widow and Hawkeye are out of the running due to their pasts, and the Hulk is "a monster," so it has to be Cap. His shield will get broken, so he'll grab the next best thing, which is Thor's hammer. (If you look at the video, the arm next to the busted shield is wearing Thor's armor.) Cap is victorious, but also toast (as the actor is ready to hang up his tights) so that Bucky can step in to replace him. Heroic death fitting Mr. Star-Spangled.

There's also a second scene that's been released in name only. (It's been screened, but not put out for public consumption) involving Tony's nightmares. It's an early scene that has him dreaming of them all dying, and that's why he creates Ultron. The cracked shield could be from that scene, too.

Just remember this is a Whedon movie, not just a Disney one. He WILL kill your favorites at some point. He might bring them back later, but someone you like is going to die.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure they will. This is the "fan trailer," which was supposed to be released next week during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Someone leaked it, so Disney rolled with it and went ahead and did a wide release.

It's like a comicon trailer. It's made with the assumption that most of the people seeing it will get the references.

Some of the speculation is also based off bits of what's already been released or leaked about the movie - like the scene of the Avengers playing "Let's Lift the Hammer" in Tony's living room that was released earlier.

Semi-spoiler, mostly conjecture:

A scene like that indicates to me that Thor's going to be taken out of the fight at some point and one of the others will have to lift the hammer. Likely Cap, since he's done it in the books and he'd be the only one of the Avengers truly "worthy" by Odin's standards. Tony's too full of himself, Black Widow and Hawkeye are out of the running due to their pasts, and the Hulk is "a monster," so it has to be Cap. His shield will get broken, so he'll grab the next best thing, which is Thor's hammer. (If you look at the video, the arm next to the busted shield is wearing Thor's armor.) Cap is victorious, but also toast (as the actor is ready to hang up his tights) so that Bucky can step in to replace him. Heroic death fitting Mr. Star-Spangled.

There's also a second scene that's been released in name only. (It's been screened, but not put out for public consumption) involving Tony's nightmares. It's an early scene that has him dreaming of them all dying, and that's why he creates Ultron. The cracked shield could be from that scene, too.

Just remember this is a Whedon movie, not just a Disney one. He WILL kill your favorites at some point. He might bring them back later, but someone you like is going to die.

Can't be Cap or Iron Man since both are going to be in Captain America 3, supposedly dealing with the Civil War storyline. Evans is still contractually obligated for two more movies as Cap after Age of Ultron is released (his contract is for 6 movies. He had to talk them down from the 9 they originally wanted to sign him to).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Can't be Cap or Iron Man since both are going to be in Captain America 3, supposedly dealing with the Civil War storyline. Evans is still contractually obligated for two more movies as Cap after Age of Ultron is released (his contract is for 6 movies. He had to talk them down from the 9 they originally wanted to sign him to).

It could still be Cap. He could either be critically wounded in this one and bow out in CA3, or his role in CA3 could be flashbacks with Bucky and Tony. He doesn't even have to die in Avengers 2, but I still think they'll replace him with Bucky by #3.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
What wasn't culled from the last movie - a giant, creepy-voiced robot quoting Pinocchio and making the Avengers quiver like scared children. That right there is what's making us geek out - the glimpses we get of the danger presented by a sentient AI that can leave Hulk a broken mess huddled in the fetal position, that can break Cap's unbreakable shield in half, and that can bring the Scarlet Witch to her knees while she screams in either agony or rage. It's the idea that there will be no quick fix this time - no blowing up one space ship and every alien powering down. No Hulk smashy-smashy, because this AI is more powerful than him. This trailer so heavily implies that this movie is going to break the Avengers apart and change the game forever.

Seriously, how does that bore you guys? IT'S SO EXCITING!!! :p

But, I mean, they will still win. I mean, it might not be a "Okay everything is back to normal" victory, but that's the nature of family friendly superhero movies. The good guys will win, so I just don't see the stakes as being a big deal. Nor do I really care about the Avengers being broken apart as for me, someone who only knows them through the films, they've only just gotten together as a team. So it's not a big deal that they are broken apart because I'm more familiar with them as their independent selves in their respective independent films. I know how these kinds of movies pan out so what I want to see in a trailer is character stuff, is original stuff, and some sense of who the bad guy is this time (which I REALLY didn't get from this trailer).

I get the trailer is for the fans (which I don't fully understand because wouldn't any trailer for the movie be exciting for the fans?), but we non-fans are going to see this trailer, regardless of if it was leaked early or not, because everyone (not just comic book geeks) are on the net. Most people watch trailers this way now and some consideration for other viewers might be nice. I mean, remember the teaser for GODZILLA? That one didn't tell you much either, but it was so visually stunning and the scope of the destruction once you saw it awe inspiring. This trailer was the same old same old.

It's not a big deal, I'll still see it. I just saw everyone so excited about the trailer and then I watched it and I was all "That was kind of boring and I've seen it before." And it disappointed me. And I feel since everyone is talking about the trailer it might be interesting to hear the perspective of someone who only knows about these stories through the films.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
It could still be Cap. He could either be critically wounded in this one and bow out in CA3, or his role in CA3 could be flashbacks with Bucky and Tony. He doesn't even have to die in Avengers 2, but I still think they'll replace him with Bucky by #3.

No, it won't be. The writing and directing team of Cap 3 have already said that Evans will be Cap in Cap 3 and that they have no intention of changing to the Bucky or Falcon versions of Cap in the foreseeable future.

In Evans' own words:
Evans has recently been up at the Toronto International Film Festival promoting his directorial debut Before We Go, but while speaking to MTV he assured his fans that it will still be a while before he will be willing to give up his most notable superhero character. Asked if there was a chance he would soon be handing the shield of Captain America over to another actor, Evans replied,

"Who’s handing off the shield? Don’t take my job from me prematurely, dude. I’m sure it’ll happen at some point, all good things have to come to an end. But I’m really happy playing the character."

Evans is contractually obligated to play Cap through Avengers 3. Cap 3 takes place after Age of Ultron.

Sebastian Stan (Bucky) is signed up for I think 7 or 9 movies (can't remember), so I wouldn't be surprised if Evan's character dies in Avengers 3 and it switches to Bucky.

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score

I know everyone deifies Joss Whedon, but I doubt he has all that much freedom on these movies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The writing and directing team of Cap 3 have already said that Evans will be Cap in Cap 3 and that they have no intention of changing to the Bucky or Falcon versions of Cap in the foreseeable future.

They also said that neither Pietro nor Wanda Maximoff were going to be in Avengers 2. ;)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
No, it won't be. The writing and directing team of Cap 3 have already said that Evans will be Cap in Cap 3 and that they have no intention of changing to the Bucky or Falcon versions of Cap in the foreseeable future.

But that's what they WOULD say... ;)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My issue, and I fully admit its my issue, is these movies are trying to compress 50 years of comic history into just a few movies. For most of us, Bucky was dead, and considered the only safe death in comics, for most of the 60s and all the way until he was stupidly resurrected in 2005. So we had 40 years of Cap and his angst and grief over the belief he caused his partner's death. None of that was really dealt with in the movies. No time. And we had 3 years of Bucky as Winter Soldier being found, rediscovering who he is, becoming trustworthy, until Cap was idiotically killed and Bucky/Winter Soldier took his place. So far, we've only got his being found. He has yet to establish himself as reliable and trustworthy. So the odds of Bucky becoming Cap seem remote to me, unless all that is compressed into Cap3.

I hope not. We're losing 50 years of wonderful story arcs looking into character's souls. As a fan, I'm feeling cheated.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, the Distinguished Competition follows Marvel again. I can't wait for A:AoU, but I have to admit the the prospect of seeing the two greatest, most iconic ccomic book characters having at it, with appearances by most of the JL has me positively giddy for BvS: DoJ. It's a great time to be a comic book fan.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll be adding Coulson or any of the other SHIELD agents back to the mix. He and Tony were friendlyish, as were he and Pepper. I can see him getting a shock reveal at some point in the movie. Maybe a cavalry save.

And has anything else been said about the show-runners adding Angela to the next Thor movie? She'd be an awful lot to shoehorn in with what's already going on, unless they're intending to combine her character with one we've already seen: Sif, Lorelai (via Agents of SHIELD), or Jane. Combining her with Jane could solve the immortal / mortal love angle, but if Angela's history remains in tact, that could be ...eww. The same goes for combining her with Sif. Lorelai on the other hand could be an asset for Loki, so there's some possibilities there. They even look similar in the comics.

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll be adding Coulson or any of the other SHIELD agents back to the mix. He and Tony were friendlyish, as were he and Pepper. I can see him getting a shock reveal at some point in the movie. Maybe a cavalry save.

I hope not. But I'm one of the few people who don't like Coulson.

And has anything else been said about the show-runners adding Angela to the next Thor movie? She'd be an awful lot to shoehorn in with what's already going on, unless they're intending to combine her character with one we've already seen: Sif, Lorelai (via Agents of SHIELD), or Jane. Combining her with Jane could solve the immortal / mortal love angle, but if Angela's history remains in tact, that could be ...eww. The same goes for combining her with Sif. Lorelai on the other hand could be an asset for Loki, so there's some possibilities there. They even look similar in the comics.

I'm more interested in Valkyrie joining the movies. I mean, bring on Angela too. But if I had to choose, I'd prefer Valkyrie. :p

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I put it off, thinking I'd try to make the 6 month wait blind, no spoilers, no trailers.

Two days, folks. That's my Avengers willpower.

Hulkbuster Hulkbuster Hulkbuster Hulkbuster Hulkbuster Hulkbuster

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
"There are no strings on me."

No more Pinocchio.

I cannot WAIT for this flick...and I'm probably the biggest DC geek around. That Hulkbuster suit looks friggin' awesome! I just hope they don't kill Cap. It looks like they will, but I hope not. And Scarlet Witch and her brother (?) will be in this as well, so all in all, it should rock.

Also very much hoping that the DC Superman/Batman flick will be good...but unless the script is solid, then it'll probably get the same reception MOS did. (I still liked that movie, though)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"There are no strings on me."

No more Pinocchio.

I cannot WAIT for this flick...and I'm probably the biggest DC geek around. That Hulkbuster suit looks friggin' awesome! I just hope they don't kill Cap. It looks like they will, but I hope not. And Scarlet Witch and her brother (?) will be in this as well, so all in all, it should rock.

Also very much hoping that the DC Superman/Batman flick will be good...but unless the script is solid, then it'll probably get the same reception MOS did. (I still liked that movie, though)

They won't kill Cap, as Evan is signed for Cap 3.

And as for BvS, Batfleck has recruited his Argo writing buddy to rework the original Goyer script, if I recall correctly.

Let much Rejoicing Ring Forth from all Comic Book fans...both Houses should be giving us solid films (and frankly, I'm almost more excited by David Ayer's Suicide Squad--I love me some Deadshot-- in the works at DC/WB and over at Marvel, Cap3 which looks to have the Civil War Storyline threaded throughout.) Woot!