Better Call Saul

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn and I agreed that the Mike episode was every bit as good as Breaking Bad. In fact, we wished Mike had been the spin-off character rather than Saul.

Maryn, glad to see Mike again

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Sure am. My wife is hooked on Empire but I prefer Better Call Saul. The "Five-O" episode telling the tale of how Mike ended up in Albuquerque was superb. If you haven't watched it, whatsamatta wit'cha?

However, some dude who wrote his college thesis on Breaking Bad says Mike is the worst character on Better Call Saul.

I say thee nay! :rant:

Emphatically agree! I didn't want that episode to end.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Sure am. My wife is hooked on Empire but I prefer Better Call Saul. The "Five-O" episode telling the tale of how Mike ended up in Albuquerque was superb. If you haven't watched it, whatsamatta wit'cha?

Ditto that. It was a terrific piece of storytelling, and daring, I thought, to spend so much of the episode away from the show's main character.

I was ambivalent about the show in the beginning, but I'm completely hooked now. The story keeps taking unexpected turns. And oh, my goodness, Betsy Kettleman. That character is just the best kind of nuts.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Agreed. The Mike episode was phenomenal.

Still watching. Quietly enjoying it; hoping it will soon become loudly enjoying it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

However, some dude who wrote his college thesis on Breaking Bad says Mike is the worst character on Better Call Saul.

I say thee nay! :rant:

What the WHA!???!!! I love Mike. The only way this show could be better is if Jesse were on it, but then again, he'd be like...5 if he was even born yet.

I read an interview on NPR with the guy who plays Mike, and I like him too. I just wish I'd heard the interview, because I love Mike's voice.

He is in no way the worst character on the show!!!

I was ambivalent about the show in the beginning, but I'm completely hooked now. The story keeps taking unexpected turns. And oh, my goodness, Betsy Kettleman. That character is just the best kind of nuts.

Oh my goodness. She's insane. Definitely made for a good laugh. LOL

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching and enjoying. My husband wasn't keen on the first episode - too slow - but he's caught up in it now too.

Seeing Mike working at that ticket booth - knowing what he's really capable of - is wild.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No spoilers from this weeks episode "Pimento" but let's just say you must watch the last ten minutes without interruption.

It was so good I had to back up the DVR and do it all again. :fistpump

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we'll get to watch it until tomorrow...but can't wait!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I watched it. Great episode! I so love Mike. <3

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
No spoilers from this weeks episode "Pimento" but let's just say you must watch the last ten minutes without interruption.

It was utterly brilliant. The show is getting better and better -- and until that last fantastic scene, I thought that it was Mike carrying it. No; no. This is Saul's show.

Kudos to all the talent involved; it was a slow burn in the beginning, but now we're really on fire. Ready for the season finale tonight!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts on the finale?

Hubs wasn't a fan of the end. He thought (Spoilers in case anyone isn't caught up) Jimmy had his chance to go straight and no excuse for missing it. I saw it differently, though. I saw a guy who did everything to please his brother finally realize that nothing would ever do that. No matter what he did, his brother wouldn't respect him, so he might as well do what he does best: play dirty. He kept getting those Bs at the bingo place, all blue (good in the show's color scheme), and was just reminded that being good doesn't matter. I thought the whole thing was great. (Even the mention of B for Belize!). I'll still watch next season.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts on the finale?

"Marco" didn't grab me as much as "Pimento" did, but any show that has lines like, "Sorry I called you a pig fucker" and "It’s like watching Miles Davis give up the trumpet. It’s just a waste, that’s all I’m saying” is the kind of funny and smart television I can't give up on too quickly.

The bingo hall monologue was both protracted and painful. It's Bob Odenkirk baring Slippin' Jimmy's soul and I felt as uncomfortably weirded-out by his meltdown as the geezers watching him. The way they play with time on Better Call Saul is really daring for TV where every moment someone is speaking or doing something. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould are willing to risk boring the audience with extended periods of silence and speechifying.

For me it works. It works brilliantly.

Slippin' Jimmy took a giant step to becoming Saul Goodman and I for one am all-in for the journey.
:Clap:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
"Marco" didn't grab me as much as "Pimento" did, but any show that has lines like, "Sorry I called you a pig fucker" and "It’s like watching Miles Davis give up the trumpet. It’s just a waste, that’s all I’m saying” is the kind of funny and smart television I can't give up on too quickly.

The bingo hall monologue was both protracted and painful. It's Bob Odenkirk baring Slippin' Jimmy's soul and I felt as uncomfortably weirded-out by his meltdown as the geezers watching him. The way they play with time on Better Call Saul is really daring for TV where every moment someone is speaking or doing something. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould are willing to risk boring the audience with extended periods of silence and speechifying.

For me it works. It works brilliantly.

Slippin' Jimmy took a giant step to becoming Saul Goodman and I for one am all-in for the journey.
:Clap:

Ditto to everything here. :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I love a back story, always have, but the first episodes were not hooking me like I wanted. I ended up watching out of order but could hardly tell. I was slipping in and out for a while, using the show as a background for grading papers. But slowly the characters and especially the actors playing them, began to catch my attention.

Mike coming back was a great "Huh?" moment. The Kettlemans, the doofus twins, Lenny from our LaVerne's show were pulling me in. Bless Me Ultima as Abuelita pretty much sealed it for me. And Patrick Fabian, what a great twist.

The B bingo had me in tears. Poor Jimmy. The kids in my school are reading Gatsby now and I am seeing Jimmy as Jimmy Gatz. He keeps remaking himself but his new self is never quite good enough.

Fingers crossed that Gus-- a younger, shinier Gus-- shows up next season--s6

Last edited:

ldiego08

Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching this show and enjoying it. Vince Gilligan is a genius, BCS drags you in in the same fashion Breaking Bad used to do it, but is a complete different story.

Also, the episode featuring Steven Ogg, who plays Trevor Phillips in GTA V, was awesome. I needed a couple minutes to realize it was him.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Season 4 started this week. Episode 1 was quiet and offered a lot of time for introspection over Chuck's death, and then there's still much to speculate when it comes to the future Cinnabon annexed (post Breaking Bad) Jimmy. This show is slow, but I love it, especially Mike because he's prickly, smart and always ahead of the game.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Season 4 started this week. Episode 1 was quiet and offered a lot of time for introspection over Chuck's death, and then there's still much to speculate when it comes to the future Cinnabon annexed (post Breaking Bad) Jimmy. This show is slow, but I love it, especially Mike because he's prickly, smart and always ahead of the game.

This show...

What Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould realize is sometimes silence is golden. The sequence where Kim and Jimmy are killing a bottle of tequila and as time passes she falls asleep, but Jimmy never moves, never changes expression, never speaks. Bob Odenkirk is killin' it as is the entire cast. It's been 14 looooong months since the last season ended and it's been a long wait. I can power-watch the previous seasons on Netflix, but Better Call Saul enjoys how it plays with scenes and what the camera is showing the viewer.
This, along with the brilliant Killing Eve are the two best reasons I have to watch TV. :hooray:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I heard it was gonna be back soon. Know what I'll be doing tonight (after watching the season finale for Claws, bcuz srsly, no Claws love? It's amazing!) I'm one of the few people who's kind of meh on the BB backstory element, like the show best when it's its own thing. And I look forward to the spin-off of the spin-off, where Kim Wexler ditches lawyering and become a tough-talking PI who talks to ghosts. Or does whatever, but <3 <3 <3 Kim.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I never watch until I can binge the entire season on Netflix, but just have to say I adore this show. Freaking brilliant.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, hats off to the makeup people. These actors are all a few years older than when Breaking Bad ended, yet in makeup they all pass for characters whose paths have not yet crossed that of Walter White. (And anybody who doesn't love Mike is dead inside.)

Maryn, Mark Margolis fan for decades

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Still maintaining the high quality. Great show.