• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering...did Sarah LaPolla ask for an exclusive on a full for anyone?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sarah LaPolla, email rejection on June 28 for a query sent on June 17.

Nathan Bransford, query and email rejection same day, July 15

Both had personal comments before form macros. Too bad, but I'll keep
CB in mind for the next project.

Filigree

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Goldfish! Congratulations on signing with her :)

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's really fast :D

ETA: Oh wait, I thought you meant you only queried for 2 weeks, lol. That's what I get for reading too fast and replying before my brain catches up with my fingers, haha.

mairi

E-pubbed author
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Jaimie.

Be sure to keep blogging about your publishing journey, Goldfish, so we'll be able to stay updated. :)

No request for an exclusive with my full either. Did she ask one for yours, Loquacis? I'd probably take that as a good sign, but that's just me.

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she did. I couldn't give it to her, but I sent her the ms anyway and said I hoped she'd still take a look. She hasn't sent me a confirmation of receipt yet, though. She had one for my partial within hours, so I hope this doesn't mean my email fell through the cracks, haha. Though honestly, I'm probably just being paranoid. She sounds great, and I hope she likes my ms :)

Good luck on your full! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Goldfish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felizadavid.com
@ Loquacis - I felt the same way! I didn't get an email confirmation at first and was kind of freaking out, but I did get one eventually.

If you feel weird, maybe give it a week. If you still haven't heard anything, it probably wouldn't hurt to send a quick note asking if she received it. I did that, and Sarah was really nice about it. I was kind of scared about looking like a typical, nervous writer, but it was cool.

@ Mairi - I will! At the moment, I'm in revisionland, which isn't terribly exciting, but it's a nice place to be. :)

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Goldfish :)

Revision notes from an agent must be exciting, though, right? :D

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah did not ask for an exclusive on my full or on my R & R. Maybe yours is so amazing that she didn't want anyone else to see it first. :)

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha >.<

I sent my partial about the same time you sent your revisions, so maybe you'll hear back soon!

(PS Dear powers that be, please give us a blushing smilie!)

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got a rejection today on my R & R. So I'm bummed. She did tell me what wasn't working for her and told me that if I wanted to revise it again, she'd love to see another revision.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Just an FYI -- Ginger Clark tweeted earlier today.

"Authors: I am caught up on emailed slush as of August 14th. Thank you."

So anyone who queried before then and didn't receive a response, it's safe to say it's a pass. :(

mairi

E-pubbed author
Registered
Reaction score
At least you have another chance to resubmit, Marika. You can do it. :)

Goldfish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felizadavid.com
Oh, Marika. That's so discouraging. But at least it's a conditional rejection, not a total shut-down. And getting details about the reasons behind it is nice. Still sorry to hear, though.

But in the words of Mairi (and Adam Sandler), "You can do it!"

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got a rejection today on my R & R. So I'm bummed. She did tell me what wasn't working for her and told me that if I wanted to revise it again, she'd love to see another revision.

Sorry about that, Marika :( Do you think you'll give it another go?

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard from Nathan Bransford recently? He's normally scary fast on queries (replies in minutes, if not hours) but he's had mine for a while now. Wondering if it slipped through the cracks...

Hi Kristoff (or anyone who has queried Nathan Bransford lately),

Did you ever get a response to your query? I sent mine several days ago and haven't heard back...(I'm only getting twitchy because his site says that he usually responds within 24 hours)

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm going to throw myself into the R & R. When I re-read the letter, she gave me very specific ideas about what to change and said a lot of positive things, including that she'd love to look at another revision.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kristoff (or anyone who has queried Nathan Bransford lately),

Did you ever get a response to your query? I sent mine several days ago and haven't heard back...(I'm only getting twitchy because his site says that he usually responds within 24 hours)

That's a negative. I tried resending from a different account in case it was a gmail issue, and still nada.

He's posted on twitter recently too, so it's not like he's been struck down by the hand of lupus or anything. Not sure what to make of it, given his legendary speed on responses.

Glad I'm not the only one to have issues though. Maybe both our queries are in the "omg, these are so good I need to put them down and respond later, lest I soil my britches" pile. XD

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Rejected by Sarah yesterday, query sent out late July. Got a full request from another agent the same day, so it's not a total loss. :D