Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone works at their own pace. It's one of the fun things about writing--as long as you don't get in the bad habit of comparing what's right for you with what's right for someone else.

Me--I'm lucky to write 1000 words in a month lately, and that's right for me and what my life is right now. One way isn't better than the other, as long as it's better for YOU.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Good lord PD, another one? How many WIP do you have going right now? You put the rest of us to shame.

Ah - I have about 20 WIPs that I cycle between yearly. There are about 7 I work on regularly.

I'm up to 6k on the newest project. It's really taking on a life of its own. LOL.

Tell me about it.

Recently, I had about 4 things going...

Now I'm concentrating on the Gerry Fisch book.

I just love to write, and I get ideas for one story from another story I've written - and it snowballs. :/

Everyone works at their own pace. It's one of the fun things about writing--as long as you don't get in the bad habit of comparing what's right for you with what's right for someone else...

Thank you, I'm always concerned that I write too much - but I can't stop myself.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
There's no such thing as writing too much, and like Del said everyone has their own way. Hell, one author might write one book fully outlined and the next just wing it. What matters is their end product.

I just knew I wanted to write something outside of the Vision series. I needed a break. Although # 3 went so well. I wanted to get into that groove with something different. But I just was having a hard time getting to that point where it just clicked, so I kept moving back and forth between projects and finally, it clicked. I've got the feeling of the new one. Goofy yet sweet.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Me, I think too much and write too little.

Too many ideas floating around, getting lost in the folds of my brain, not enough words on the page.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I get ideas for story concepts up my wazzu. I should work as a series creator for tv shows because I'm great with concepts for a series. But then when I decide to write and I need the story plot i can run into trouble in seeing that part.

Right now, in terms of ideas for novels, I've got about 9 different one's floating around in my head. That's not including the Vision series, or the big Dragon book I wrote. Or any ideas older than the last year or so.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I write them down as soon as they formulate -- it relieves tension ;)

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Sometimes I do that, but not always. I figure if the concept is good enough, it'll keep playing in my head.And once I write it down, I feel less inclined to change what I wrote if it grows from there.

I start writing when I've got more than just, "A story about a haunted house, where the house is the good guy and protects the women and her children from the abusive husband" stage.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not me - that's about the stage I start writing, and then the story takes me along for the ride, LOL ;)

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I used to do that, but then I'd have a cool opening to a story and would hit a wall and wouldn't know how to get around or over it. So now I need to have at least a basic outline.

Start here, end there and the basic steps in-between.

I still do a lot of discovering on the way.

My current wip is fun for me because it's such a hoot in and of itself. But also because I've got so used to writing from the POV of Bristol in the Vision series and using her voice, now I'm using the POV and voice of Gerry who is very different.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do that, but then I'd have a cool opening to a story and would hit a wall and wouldn't know how to get around or over it. So now I need to have at least a basic outline.

Start here, end there and the basic steps in-between.

I still do a lot of discovering on the way.

My current wip is fun for me because it's such a hoot in and of itself. But also because I've got so used to writing from the POV of Bristol in the Vision series and using her voice, now I'm using the POV and voice of Gerry who is very different.

To each his own, Vince ;)

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Exactly. What works for you may not work for me.

I used to write songs back in High School & College.

Sometimes I'd write the lyrics with the melody in my head while in class (Yes, my grades sucked) and then when I'd get home I'd grab my guitar and figure out the music. Other times I'd have my guitar and figure out the music and then I'd have to write the lyrics to fit. Sometimes I sat down with pen, paper and a guitar and figure it out together. And there were a few songs where I'd literally just work it out in my head, no paper, no guitar, I'd just hear it. Then I'd have to write it down, but I really did do everything in my head. Some of those were the best ones.

So what works for one writer may not work for another, and what works for one project may not work for a different project even if it's from the same writer.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My only amusement for the day:

In 2004, I finished a short novel I knew needed work. As normal, I archived it for the ages: Printed out a hard copy and saved the final file and the book's entire folder and placed it all in a binder.

Since I'm looking at self-publishing (well, letting Housemate "self"-publish it for me) and she says it would be best if I had at least a couple of books up, I pulled out the binder for this book.

The file is on a floppy disk.

I didn't have a CD burner in 2004 and USB drives weren't available yet (or, at least, not for a price I was going to afford), y'see. I couldn't imagine there never being floppy drives on computers.

At least I didn't save it on a zip disk.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
That is definitely an 'amusing' moment, Del. I hope it all works out!

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks, Del. When I was cobbling together a working computer from the guts of a few non-working computers my family-in-law gave me, I found (and tucked away safely, just in case) a floppy drive with exactly that type of situation in mind. I hope you can figure something out.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was typing it back in, since that way I could "read" it again.

Then my computer died. Dead.

I'm mooching Housemate's to let everyone know that there's zero ETA on when I can afford to get it together and be back.

Good writing, everyone!

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Anyone want to venture a good name for a secret oganization that hunts ghosts, demons, gremlins run by a woman named Lou with the cover of cleaning messes and sewers?

Status
Not open for further replies.