The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Para, I love that you and Ms Coffee are moving forward and that you're excited (which is what I took from *afeared*) :D
This really confused me. What is The Talk? Birth control? Uh no. STDs? Maybe. How many children they plan on having? When she gets a key to Para's?
Blue, who apparently is out of touch with dating, straight or gay.

I actually wondered that myself. What is The Talk? Am I out of touch with dating too? :tongue

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I thought the Talk was a "State of the Relationship" discussion. Mine went like this, "So, I don't date anyone unless we consider marriage the goal." "Oh. Um, okay." "Good, that's settled." (I'm so romantic.)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
For pete's sake, is there some way I can block someone on FB from seeing my posts without actually unfriending them? My husband has this friend who always feels he needs to drop in and give his expert opinion on everything. I've already removed him from MY feed, but clearly I'm still in his. Argh.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
For pete's sake, is there some way I can block someone on FB from seeing my posts without actually unfriending them? My husband has this friend who always feels he needs to drop in and give his expert opinion on everything. I've already removed him from MY feed, but clearly I'm still in his. Argh.
Yes.

Go to the gear sign > Privacy settings and tools > custom > don't share this with people or lists

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Jo, I just blocked someone from tagging me, because them trying to broadcast their Tupperware business on my timeline annoyed the crap out of me. At least I think I effectively blocked their business (since it's a separate site), but I'm still friends with their personal account (I think).

There was other stuff I meant to comment on. Repped a little, but my brain is kind of fuzzy today to the extend of almost passing out on my students at the library. Which would have been slightly awkward. Staying hydrated is kind of on top of my personal agenda for the day.

Also, Downton Abbey. Just because.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Amazon are such a law unto themselves that I genuinely fear that some day they might pull the entire Kindle project overnight, decimating my income.
Won't happen in the imminent future. A good 30% of their income is derived from Kindles, supposedly. They both sell the devices at a profit and encourage people to stay within their ecosystem.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Dys, please please take care of yourself! Youth =/= invincibility!

My next-door neighbor sells Mary Kay and Lia Sophia. I can't block her because... she's my next-door neighbor and I like her. *shrug*

We're off to the Gaelic Storm concert! Might Tweet a pic or two!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Cindy, thanks! That's really helpful!

And yeah, not sure what's going on with my immune system today, but I get these ridiculous dizzy spells. They aren't fun.

Clearly, this means some serious vegging on the couch is in order before work tonight. *nod*

Lily, have fun! I'm envious! :D

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Evening Purgies!

Caleb and Lily - safe travels!

LW - Yay! for random Facebook conversations. (That would get me in trouble with the Mrs.)

Blue - muted WOOT! for your stilted computerized review!

Jo - good luck with the new kid's book project!

(((Snappy)))

(((Trinza's girlfriend)))

(((Kell))) (((Haupe))) and (((Blue))) for an unfriendly week

(((Dys))) Drink up!

My laptop was running on fumes tonight and I figured I better try to repair the charger cord that Bunny chewed through. (2nd charger, BTW.) So I retrieved the necessary tools from the basement, sat down and turned on the lamp, and no light. Damn bunny chewed through the power cord to both lamps in the living room too. And not just in one spot either. So I dragged everything to the kitchen, and 8 splices and 2 feet of electrical tape later, all is repaired, although with some limitations. I lost 2 feet of my laptop power cord and I now have one lamp with 4 splices and 8 patches of electrical tape, and a second lamp with a 1 foot cord. Luckily I had an extension cord available.

It's a good thing the lamps were turned off. If Bunny had chewed through the cords with power going through them, we would've had a roasted bunny to deal with. Not much meat on them bones, I can tell ya.

Rick, oddly proud his last name has two L's in it (and who should stop copying Maryn)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention... (smacks forehead)

I finished reading Red's book last night - L@st Will. When I started reading it the other day, in similar fashion to Phoenix's book, I knew within the first few pages it was Not.For.Me. I have a very limited attention span and like fast moving plots, and Red's book is more on the literary side (I don't really know what genre it is - I'm crappy at that sort of thing.)

But like Phoenix's book, the prose was wonderful, and in honor of Red being a Purgy, I continued on. And... I couldn't put it down. I read right through dinner and stayed up until 1 am, and finished it last night. Red's very talented, and if I liked it, I know you will too.

I'm continually amazed at the talent we have in Purgatory. When you hear the horror stories about the crap submitted to agents, I figured we'd have a similar spread in Purgatory. Not even close. From the books I've read and the Purgy Mash-up we had a while back, I couldn't tell the difference between pubbed and unpubbed Purgies. We truly are an incredibly talented bunch of writers. (Present company excluded - most of you are far better writers than I am - I'm bringing up the rear when it comes to literary talent. I can plot well, which is what saves my bacon, apparently.)

Anyway - gotta run. Movie night with Lynne, then it's off at zero-dark-thirty tomorrow morning for Kiddo's meets on Saturday and Sunday. I'll catch you later!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Just got a review on some fanfic I wrote, oh, 15+ years ago. "You should keep going with this story."

Okay, I'll admit. That still makes me feel good. ;)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Just got a review on some fanfic I wrote, oh, 15+ years ago. "You should keep going with this story."

Okay, I'll admit. That still makes me feel good. ;)

Me, too. One site tells me when a fic has been favorited, and it's always nice to see someone is still reading.

Rick, I hope these are temporary fixes. New cords ASAP.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention... (smacks forehead)

I finished reading Red's book last night - L@st Will. When I started reading it the other day, in similar fashion to Phoenix's book, I knew within the first few pages it was Not.For.Me. I have a very limited attention span and like fast moving plots, and Red's book is more on the literary side (I don't really know what genre it is - I'm crappy at that sort of thing.)

But like Phoenix's book, the prose was wonderful, and in honor of Red being a Purgy, I continued on. And... I couldn't put it down. I read right through dinner and stayed up until 1 am, and finished it last night. Red's very talented, and if I liked it, I know you will too.

Good literary writing is wonderful. Once I got into this, I too did not want to stop reading. Even when I did, I kept thinking about it. Really well done and interesting! g.

Aardvark

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, but I feel I may be here a while.

My book is with 10 agents, 3 of whom have rejected, one of whom asked for a full about four weeks ago. The one who asked for the full did so within two weeks and I got it to her within 24 hours (after a hasty final check). In my naivety, I thought that a full would get a quicker response than an initial sub (see, told you I was new). So, I'm now imagining all scenarios, biting my nails and kicking the cat - and we don't have a cat.

Where's the bar and how do I set up a tab?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Morning team. (It's 12 noon which is my idea of morning after a late edit last night.)

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
*waves to Aardvark*
:welcome:

Morning Purgies....

I had a crazy week at work and was exhausted yesterday. So, I TRIED to go to bed early...like 6 pm early... no luck, ended up tossing ALL NIGHT and have finally given up the hope of decent sleep...*sigh*

Guess I should make good use of the quiet and get some writing done. *nod nod*

I'll get right on that after I do a catch up in here. (yeah I am procrastinating)

Prepare yourselves for Zombie reps lol

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I'm exhausted from scary weird dreams. This one was particularly bizarre. The dream is as follows. It's really weird and kind of gross:

I dreamed that I was out with my friend Jason. He was jogging and I was walking and somehow I was only a few feet behind him. Ah, the magic of dreams. Anyway, this goes on for what seems like forever. We are heading closer and closer to a mountain in the distance when I hear something hit the gravel at my feet. It is a rotten penis- like something that fell off a zombie. So, I look up and ask Jason, "Are you okay?" And he turns around, and his face is distorted and sort of melted and gray, and he replies, "It doesn't matter, I'm finally getting closer to God. I can feel him now." He turns back toward the mountain and continues jogging and I woke up.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all :)

Reped as I went as there was a lot :p

(((huggs))) to all. It seems we need a good group hug.

I am hoping to get some time to outline a new story today. Not sure what it willbe about yet ;) I hope y'all have a wonderful day.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. I forget, did I say in here how Mr. Maryn finally got himself a smart phone? You've all heard of golf widows, but I'm a phone widow. He's become the 15-year-old who is not present when he is with me, but intensely doing something on his phone.

I just don't get it. But man, I hope it fades once the 'new' rubs off.

Maryn, not a tech lover

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
OK I think I am all caught up....

I may be taking a nap now until daughter gets ready to leave. She is going with 2 friends to a college open house at St3phen F. @u$tin (about 2 hours away). She is excited! I would love for her to go to this college but I am not sure how their art department stands up against other further away colleges... *sigh*

yeah... I am about to nap. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.