History Hunters Weekend Reports

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
it sounds like LoC planning is just sailing along. Excellent! I'm with you - sometimes I have to see how things go in the build up before I can plan a chapter/scene, even though I need an overall structure. Keep going!

Yes, the planning is sailing along...but I'm already getting antsy about the writing.

I know in broad strokes how I want the opening to go, but I still haven't settled on the specifics. And I really want to do that so I can slam through the first section and get into the speed-draft mode. Starting off on a good foot and all that.

Planning to think on some ideas tonight after formatting and firing off a second partial for TSOR.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My goals for the weekend: fix the problems with the website. Edit a chapter. Start work on a Christmas script due in September (I have no interest whatsoever in doing it, but I promised.)

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a newbie, can I join too please?

My goal is to finish a short story (which I suppose is historical) by the end of next week. I've found a beta, so I'm very excited, because it's very hard to get one where I live :)

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for actual writing goals, BardSkye. And I respect your professionalism in keeping your promise with that Christmas script. It might turn out to be great fun. I hope so!

Tocotin - welcome! Of course you can join in. We'd love to have you. What is your story?

As far as my own goals, I am itching to write a sexy, sensual scene in my Sparta story, and thank the Lord my MC's wedding night is awaiting. But I have to admit those Spartans had some very strange marriage traditions.

c.e.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, c.e.lawson! (Should I capitalize your name? Sorry!) My story is about a Thuringian lady and her entourage awaiting the return of her husband from the Holy Land.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I had a great week and got a lot done on the article I have been writing. Congrats to everyone else who made their goal, or even tried very hard!

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Goal for the weekend:

Sort out some doubts I'm having about LoC and if I want to focus my attention on another project instead (Alaric, maybe, or something else altogether).

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got about midway through the Christmas script. Not much else, though, as company came and derailed my plans.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Got Untimely Passage finalized and sent off. Identified contest (September entry) for one of my other shorts. Puma

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Congratulations to everyone who accomplished last weeks goals! Here's your achievement medal if you're collecting them!

weekend-report-8-10-08.GIF

Me, I got a case of the mopes and onlygot 1/2 a chapter edited. *sigh*

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Mmmm, historical romance. Second round of edits? Great! That means you're almost done! Let's see - it's been 2 days, so you should be on your second chapter by now, right? :) Keep at it!

Ideally....

I didn't even make it through chapter 1. I kept letting myself get distracted.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll be at a ranch in Wyoming for the next week - it has no internet access, so I won't be able to check in here or respond to anyone's posts. I hope to write a Sparta chapter or at least a few scenes in my spiral notebook during that time. I'll check in when we return. In the meantime, keep writing!

c.e.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Well, I'll be at a ranch in Wyoming for the next week - it has no internet access, so I won't be able to check in here or respond to anyone's posts. I hope to write a Sparta chapter or at least a few scenes in my spiral notebook during that time. I'll check in when we return. In the meantime, keep writing!

c.e.

Good luck!

For some reason, I can never write anything on vacation...envious of those who can.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
This thread's been pretty quiet, so in the interest of maybe getting things rolling again, I have a brief update.

After setting The Legions of Cannae aside, I did a lot of deep thinking over what to write next, and ultimately decided to buck conventional wisdom and continue my Hannibalic War saga rather than pursue something completely unrelated. I realize doing so won't help me any in my quest for publication, but I also think I got too preoccupied with the business of writing there for awhile, and in so doing sort of forgot about the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction of crafting a story.

When I set out to write The Scourge of Rome, I did it so I could look back on my life and say I had written a novel. If I can get it published and turn this into a career, awesome. If not, I've still discovered a hobby that brings me happiness and satisfaction, which is a lot more than most people can ever claim.

And besides...there's a lot of story left to tell.

Since making my decision, I've gone back to my bevy of notes and thoughts and began constructing an outline. My goal for this weekend and next week is to get said outline to a happy place, and then begin work on the draft in September.

On the other side of things, I received another query rejection this week. Still no word on the two partials I have out to agents.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Progress report - the rough outline is in place.

Tonight, I've started putting some flesh on the bones, taking the outline and expanding it into a story treatment.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I've returned from an extended (far too extended...) holiday visiting family. A month away from doing or even thinking about writing. Trying to ease myself back in, as I've gotten out of my good habits.

I've set aside the post-WWI book that I was working on, as the story was starting to get away from me and generally frustrate me, and have returned to revising my as-of-yet-unrevised World's Fair heist story. I printed it out for my many airplane rides and gave it a once-over with a red pen (and a blue pen and an orange pen and a black pen...). I'm now going through and doing a synopsis of the whole thing to see just where my plot stands now and what I need to do to neaten it up.

My goal for this week is to finish up the synopsis and hopefully comb smooth my current plot tangles. I would love to get to some rewriting by next week, but I'll take baby steps.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear from you, Doogs and PastMidnight! I leave for a week at a ranch in remote Wyoming, and the thread falls asleep! Where is everybody?

As Doogs predicted (I believe you cursed me!) I was able to get NO writing done on my trip, though I polished my short story for the last time and am sending it into the HNS short story comp tonight.

Doogs - I'm glad your planning seems to be going along nicely for your new WIP. Keep it up! I'll have to send you to the arena (lions this time) if you change your mind and start another brand new story!

PastMidnight - I think a lot of us 'parent types' are struggling with writing time while the kids are home for summer vacation. I know I'm looking forward to a more structured schedule for writing beginning on Monday of next week when school is back in full-time session. Don't worry - you'll get back into it. We're here to crack the whip and make sure you do!

My goal for next week is to get back into my novel and complete a scene that has had me stumped for a while. I think I've worked it out, though. Starting next week I'm going to post word count goals, since my schedule will be better for writing.

Anyone else want to give us an update?

c.e.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've been poking my nose into threads here and there in this forum since the Summer Road Trip brought me to your neck of the woods. Just found this one tonight. :)

I've got a WIP going that's set in 1871, Newton, Kansas, and thereabouts. It's on 'hold' while I edit the 1870 English historical WIP set along the 'Headlands of Slaughter'. I had the 'fun' of writing it; now I'm doing the work of re-writing it. ;)

It's really interesting to see what y'all have going!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Good to see you back, OFG! :D

My weekend goal is a historical short story. I'm outlining it now and plan on a writing blitz over the long weekend with a 10-15k goal.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We've got a 'one page a day' club going over in the Roundtable. It seems to have motivated a few of us to get off high center. If I can ever get that English WIP finished so I can do the query/synopsis/submit thing...

Thanks for the welcome! ;)

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
We've got a 'one page a day' club going over in the Roundtable. It seems to have motivated a few of us to get off high center.

I definitely think I'll be taking that approach with the second book. Staring down a chapter can be a daunting prospect, but a page, a single page, that seems more manageable.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
So glad to hear from you, Doogs and PastMidnight! I leave for a week at a ranch in remote Wyoming, and the thread falls asleep! Where is everybody?

As Doogs predicted (I believe you cursed me!) I was able to get NO writing done on my trip, though I polished my short story for the last time and am sending it into the HNS short story comp tonight.

I'd say you were fortunate to get even that done! I'm useless when I travel. Though for some reason I can write for work no problem...

Doogs - I'm glad your planning seems to be going along nicely for your new WIP. Keep it up! I'll have to send you to the arena (lions this time) if you change your mind and start another brand new story!

LOL! Don't think I'll be changing my mind this time, though. This is the story I wanted to write all along. I just let publishing considerations get in the way for a while there. Now that I'm back to Scipio and friends, I'm as happy as a pig in...well...what pigs are happy in.

My goal for next week is to get back into my novel and complete a scene that has had me stumped for a while. I think I've worked it out, though. Starting next week I'm going to post word count goals, since my schedule will be better for writing.

Awesome. I love that feeling when a troublesome scene just clicks! Best of luck with it.