What Historical Fiction Cliches Would You Put In Room 101?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Bit of fun here.

If you were God for the day, which cliche in historical fiction would you wipe out?

Okay, here's mine:

Rich, high-born son is sent to desolate outpost of the empire [Roman/British/American - you name it] as punishment/in hiding from big-bad.

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
Wealthy and/or titled girl with politically motivated parents goes to the court of Henry VIII and becomes his latest obsession.

Yuck.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Girl rebels, doesn't want to be a housewife, has modern ideas about choosing for herself.

So agreed. I'll see your Mary Sue, and raise you a PHYSICALLY RAVISHING Mary Sue - because, let's face it, they're always gorgeous. Authorial wish-fulfillment much? Beautiful characters have begun to bore me senseless.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Wealthy and/or titled girl with politically motivated parents goes to the court of Henry VIII and becomes his latest obsession.

Yuck.

Girl rebels, doesn't want to be a housewife, has modern ideas about choosing for herself.

So agreed. I'll see your Mary Sue, and raise you a PHYSICALLY RAVISHING Mary Sue - because, let's face it, they're always gorgeous. Authorial wish-fulfillment much? Beautiful characters have begun to bore me senseless.

So how about a physically ravishing and rebellious Mary Sue who has modern ideas about choosing for herself who goes to the court of Henry VIII and becomes his latest obsession? Do we have a winner?

Mine would be: the evil and reactionary Church, whose elite doesn't really believe in anything except keeping free thought down/exercising power, wants to destroy MC with weirdly 20th century mindset.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Haha, yep, all of these.... very modern mindsets make me insane. Sure, characters are individuals and all their opinions don't have to line up to prevailing ones exactly, but they're tied to their world. They aren't going to think like 20th century folks! (well, unless it is the early 20th C, which is also within the realms of historical fiction, hehe).

My biggest one though are the cameos by famous people of the day. It's 16th century London and our character runs into this budding young actor and loans him a couple bucks (or shillings, or whatever it would be)... and the guy's like thanks, the name's Shakespeare, Will Shakespeare. And that's the extent of his role in the story. Nothing wrong with incorporating real people into a story if it makes sense and you use it, even if they're just minor characters, but please, no cameos!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would say a naive young girl (usually pretty) who becomes the companion of a princess, queen, countess, etc, and comes of age. I would like to see a really creative spin on that cliche, but otherwise I'm pretty over it.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
So how about a physically ravishing and rebellious Mary Sue who has modern ideas about choosing for herself who goes to the court of Henry VIII and becomes his latest obsession? Do we have a winner?

Mine would be: the evil and reactionary Church, whose elite doesn't really believe in anything except keeping free thought down/exercising power, wants to destroy MC with weirdly 20th century mindset.

So - I see you've seethed your way through "Pope Joan" as well, then ... ?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yep, all of these.... very modern mindsets make me insane. Sure, characters are individuals and all their opinions don't have to line up to prevailing ones exactly, but they're tied to their world. They aren't going to think like 20th century folks! (well, unless it is the early 20th C, which is also within the realms of historical fiction, hehe).

My biggest one though are the cameos by famous people of the day. It's 16th century London and our character runs into this budding young actor and loans him a couple bucks (or shillings, or whatever it would be)... and the guy's like thanks, the name's Shakespeare, Will Shakespeare. And that's the extent of his role in the story. Nothing wrong with incorporating real people into a story if it makes sense and you use it, even if they're just minor characters, but please, no cameos!

I LOVE cameos!! :(

arvind

Registered
Reaction score
How about
1. a strong, rebellious woman,
2. a marriage that's not arranged
3. a fantastic battle scene that describes the terror and battle-rage that the hero goes through
4. a brahmin priest who tries to reform a casteist society

in 13th century India?

Ha! I know what I'm not having in my WIP :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Identical twins standing in for each other.
Anything to do with lost heirs.
Heaving bosoms.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Ever tried deep-breathing in 18th century stays? There's heavage, I promise.
I know! I have worn replica Tudor corsets and they are incredibly uncomfortable especially as I am blessed with a bosom that has much heavage. I just think that reducing a woman to heavage is laziness on the part of some authors.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Bit of fun here.

If you were God for the day, which cliche in historical fiction would you wipe out?

Okay, here's mine:

Rich, high-born son is sent to desolate outpost of the empire [Roman/British/American - you name it] as punishment/in hiding from big-bad.

Oh dear! This happens in my WIP. However, it is not the MC but her dad, and it happened in the past.

ANother take on that: Common wife of five mythological princes in retelling of ancient Indian epic rebels against her role of wife and mother to their children and yearns for Freedom. (Otherwise, it's an excellent book!)

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Incurable Cough of Death. If the list of all instances from literature were present and correct on that page, it would run on for several million words.

I think it's more common in film than in literature. And to be fair, if your TB has progressed to the point where you cough blood, you're pretty far gone.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Incurable Cough of Death. If the list of all instances from literature were present and correct on that page, it would run on for several million words.

I have that one in my first novel! Hah!

Whenever a young woman vomits, I immediately know she's pregnant - and that's for contemporary as well as historical fiction.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's more common in film than in literature. And to be fair, if your TB has progressed to the point where you cough blood, you're pretty far gone.

I seem to notice it a lot - probably because I dislike it. I also seem to keep coming across books which are set just before or after a major event (like the American Civil War) and go out of their way to drop hints and sly references while never actually progressing to the event itself. Soooooo annoying. Playing up the historical moment while not getting around to dealing with it is teasing and playing with the reader more than it is cute.

I have that one in my first novel! Hah!

And my case is made... :D

Whenever a young woman vomits, I immediately know she's pregnant - and that's for contemporary as well as historical fiction.

LOL. I immediately think hangover or drugs, then (if it is a certain type of novel) poisoning. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

I have identified the male version of the in Roman military fiction. The MC is always a handsome, smarter than his superiors, athletic/master swordsman, heroic, centurion/soldier who single-handly saves the Roman Empire from certain collapse . . . from a small rowdy bunch tribesmen.

If that isn't male wish-fulfilment, I'll eat my stola. :D