Do you have a right to privacy (and to call Obama a "nigger?")

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How I Could Just Kill A Man

The notion of the secret racist is interesting. I don't think they exist. If you're a hardcore racist, I don't think there's anyway to prevent that from showing in day to to interactions unless you're some kind of psychopath who takes it out by... hold up, that's the plot of the craigslist killer.

Anyway, I don't think there's a way to be racist "privately" without it affecting someone. There are different levels, sure, but I'd like to eliminate them all. They're all bad for society.

And the gene pool. Don't forget that.

As writers we are creative people. Placing arbitrary limits on freedom of expression is abhorrent to me, but that doesn't mean there's no limits at all. Censorship has its place even in a free society.

For example, here's a name we haven't referenced in a while (and boy, was I enjoying the silence): Batshit Glenn Beck:

The conservative media mogul took toilet humor to a new level on his web TV show Tuesday, as he responded to a painting that depicts President Obama as a Christ figure with his own work of art. Hearkening back to the infamous "Piss Christ" photograph of 1987, which featured a small crucifix placed in photographer Andres Sorrano's urine, Beck dipped a bobblehead doll of Obama into a jar of what he said was his own urine (though he later admitted it was a non-urinary liquid).

The jar, which he gave the name "Obama in Pee Pee," is on sale for $25,000.

Beck's cloddish antics, puerile and vile as they might be, have to be tolerated.

Which doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't give me a great deal to beat his ass to death with a baseball wrapped with barb wire and smeared with feces.

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
Lot of posts talking about how this is a valuable lesson for people in internet privacy- or publicity rather.

But if that's why this tumblr is okay, then why a backlash against collations of pictures of women that the poster finds attractive - the information is all public so why not tell the followers where they live and which school they go to or where they work? They deserve it after all, don't they? Not being away of how public the internet is.

And it's not like the absence of this tumblr prevents any backlash against the racists. As has been mentioned many times, the information is still public. Anyone unaware that racism exists can type a few hashtags and find out for themselves, employers can still google people's names. The impression I'm getting is that without this tumblr, suddenly the posts become stealth and all the consequences people warn about won't happen! But... these consequences are the reason we are supposed to be careful about what we post online?

So what's the problem? I guess for me it's about being part of a database that I did not consent to. I might agree that my phone number should go into the phone book, but not be happy when I learn that someone is selling a smaller directory of all the people with blond hair to interested third parties in the local area. Similarly, just because I put a picture up on facebook, does not entail that I am happy to be included with my name and address on www.wankbank2012.org.

I'm not sure though, they are real assholes...