Another "what genre do I call this" thread

KaelynMiller

"Bones" + Wednesday Addams = Me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on attaching a genre to this novel I'm trying to query.

Mathilde is a young Goth woman (4th century historical Goth, not modern Goth) trying to unite the Germanic tribes against the stronger surrounding Nations. I base much of what happens around actual historical events and real military leaders, tying them into my story. Because little is known about the Goths today prior to their later interaction with the Romans, and I don't "break" anything in a historical sense, I've just been calling it historical fiction.

That said, I based the founding of Mathilde's tribe on a myth passed down by Goth historians that some early Goths were banished as witches. This leads to my premise that a low level of mentalist type magic exists in the world, and Mathilde's self-training as a warrior incorporates some ESP and mind over matter type abilities that give her an edge. This is my fantasy/magic twist that I don't know whether it's worth highlighting in genre classification.

About halfway through the novel, the Huns show up for their historic conquest of Europe, and from that point the novel focuses heavily on military operations and fairly graphic battles. So it seems not unreasonable to include military in the classification.

As I mentioned at the top, I've been describing my novel as historical fiction. I tend toward querying agents who specifically say they're interested in military fiction, and either like or are not averse to some degree of fantasy. The letter itself makes the unmentioned genre elements pretty obvious, which is why I avoided trying to squeeze more into the classification. Basically I'm interested in opinions on whether this is a reasonable course or if I might want to consider calling it historical fantasy instead, and/or adding military in there, or some other option.

KaelynMiller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is not a shameless self-bump ! There was a delay in getting the thread moved here and I just wanted to make sure those who might be able to help will actually see it. Thanks !

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would query it as historical fiction. Magical thinking/beliefs are common in historicals without crossing over into fantasy (unless your character actually does something that defies the laws of nature!). I'm not sure about the military fiction part. My sense is that military fiction is contemporary? I'm not sure.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I would query it as historical fiction. Magical thinking/beliefs are common in historicals without crossing over into fantasy (unless your character actually does something that defies the laws of nature!). I'm not sure about the military fiction part. My sense is that military fiction is contemporary? I'm not sure.

I agree. I think historical fiction is your best bet.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
If there's magic involved I'd go with historical fantasy too.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've read work published as 'historical fiction' that has about the same amount of magic as you describe e.g 'The Whale Road' by Robert Low, so I would go with historical fiction.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If the magic is background, especially if it is more focused around spiritualism and cultural beliefs rather than actual magical happenings, I would call it historical fiction. Lots of HF novels incorporate this level of fantasy.

But if the magical elements have a significant impact on the plot, say... she summons demons to help defeat the huns, then yes, it would be historical fantasy.

ETA: I amended the first paragraph coz I are dumb.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

KaelynMiller

Registered
Reaction score
It's good to see that I wasn't too off base in waffling between historical fiction and historical fantasy. I've learned a lot since coming to AW, not the least of which is I shouldn't be querying just yet anyway. Thanks for all the input; I'll remember the key deciding factor of "how much magic" as I make another editing pass, and go from there.

I just recently posted chapter 1 to SYW-Fantasy, linked in my signature for anyone interested. I'd actually been trying to fix some things based on what I'd learned here, but was having trouble unsticking myself from what had been the current version for a while, and needed a virtual kick in the teeth (spoiler alert: I got it ! But it's a good thing, as I've hit the editing with renewed vigor).