How do I go about finding a development editor?

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have hundreds of pages of notes, vignettes, and journaling, but no manuscript draft. I struggle with plotting and sequencing events. I feel like a need someone to help me determine what goes where.

Might it be a good idea to hire a "development editor"? And how do I go about finding the best fit/candidate?

(I'm writing a memoir)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to sit down and either: 1) Write without a pre-written plot. 2) Try to plot and learn how to in the process.

I don't see the use in hiring an editor to help you plot things out. A plot is just a sequence of events listed out. Sequence the events. BAM. Done with plotting. Get to writing.

If you were writing fiction, I could see the use of sitting down with a buddy and having them act as a sounding board. But this is a memoir; you should know everything that happened, right? Just list everything in order and start writing.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I have hundreds of pages of notes, vignettes, and journaling, but no manuscript draft. I struggle with plotting and sequencing events. I feel like a need someone to help me determine what goes where.

Might it be a good idea to hire a "development editor"? And how do I go about finding the best fit/candidate?

(I'm writing a memoir)

What you are describing is not really developmental. You have to have a manuscript to develop.

You are describing ghostwriting, which is upward of $10,000 to start.

Like Osulagh said, write it first, you know what happened.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
thanks

I'm gonna try to read some memoirs and pay attention to how they are arranged and sequenced.

you're right, I probably need more of a manny for development

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You need to have a manuscript already written for an editor to help you.

If you don't know how to produce a manuscript in the first place then you can read other memoirs; but there's no hard and fast rule that they have to be structured in a certain way. Just write. See what happens.

You could of course sign up to a writing course, which might well help.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can start anywhere you like. Folk who talk to us about experiences don't always keep things in chronological order. Events only have to relate to each other and the narrative flow from event to event.

The main objective of a memoir is either to be a form of catharsis for the writer or to entertain readers, or maybe a mixture of both.

I suspect the real issue may be you (naturally) think it's all interesting and readable and the chances are it isn't.

If you don't know where to start sorting, arranging or sifting out material then reading other memoirs of the type you intend to write is one solution.

In the final analysis you are in the best position to decide what goes in and what doesn't but unless you start you'll never find out. Imagine yourself in the position of a reader and write as you would wish to read.

Good luck.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
There are also several craft books on how to write a memoir on Amazon, and you might find one of them at your library.

vjorden

Supporter of Artisian Authors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storytelleralley.com
Writing Coach

Maybe what you really need is a writing coach? Someone who can help you figure out what to do with what you've got? I can recommend a good one if you're interested! :)

VJ

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score