Freelance Editing (finding jobs)

Word Trance

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to get some freelance work editing fiction, but all the freelance service sites such as elance and guru are bombarded with people looking for work. Also, the sites themselves are not specific to writing. Another issue with them (or at least Elance) is that people offer to do jobs for ridiculously cheap amounts (edit a whole novel for $10 ?!) I've also tried craigslist and other more message board-oriented sites, but there are usually only a handful of jobs posted there.

Is there anywhere out there on the internet that experienced but relatively new editors such as myself have an actual chance at getting a freelance job? I'm not asking for writers to gamble with me, but just to give me the opportunity to do some sample editing to see if they would like to hire me.

I appreciate any help or information you can provide.
Thanks

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm a bit suspicious, but what experience and training do you have? Have do you done a apprenticeship, and what work have you previously worked on?

You could advertise your work by being a part of communities like AW, showing your skill and knowledge of the forum. You could self-promote in the self-promoting section and keep a note in your signature to check out your freelance editing service. It's a great way to get well-known and generate some business that people will likely recommend because you are active on the forum.

Otherwise, I'm not much help for freelance editing.

Word Trance

Registered
Reaction score
Good ideas, thanks.

Haha, no problem. I have years of experience in critique groups, writing of course, as an English major, and editing for independent authors.
Unfortunately, no professional job experience regarding editing. I know that is a major issue.

I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it's possible to find jobs with these bare-bones credentials. I feel like given the chance with editing samples, I could convince the writer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I have years of experience in critique groups, writing of course, as an English major, and editing for independent authors.

I too have years of experience in critique groups, am an English major, and have edited for other writers before.

I wouldn't sell myself as a freelance editor, though. I don't rely on my skills enough to let someone rely on them.

I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it's possible to find jobs with these bare-bones credentials. I feel like given the chance with editing samples, I could convince the writer.

It's possible; I've seen people who were "long time readers turned editors" a lot... which is horrific, but...

You certainly have more education than those folks, but I wouldn't hire you. It's not so much that I need convincing as much as I need to able to rely on you--and that calls for experience. Practical experience. Internship, apprenticeship, work experience with editing at a newspaper, publisher, ect.. The writer needs to rely on you; to rely on that you're going to make things correct or better.

I'm going to point out: All of this kind of depends on the type of editing, and to certain types of editing the genre you're comfortable with. Developmental, copy, line editing. It depends.

However, I find this mostly to be a problem with the impersonal nature of the internet. A system of tubes won't let me get to know you enough to trust you. Practical experience, like I listed, could back you up here. Someone who has been trusted before for business, I could probably trust for personal matters.

If I knew you well, knew that everything you ever write is impeccable and your style of editing is right up your alley, I'd probably think about hiring you. That could be a good thing; editing the work of the writers you know and citing their work in your portfolio can really help.

And again, being active in a community can also help. Show your knowledge in the Grammar and Syntax sub-forum, represent yourself in the Share Your Work section with line edits and critiques, have every post you make be impeccable. Make yourself known--and known for a good reason.

All the while, you might want to seek out ways to improve yourself as an editor and gain experience like through a internship/apprenticeship or further with a job.

Word Trance

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, a ton of helpful advice. I definitely have a better feel for things now. I definitely see what you mean about trust and experience providing a certain level of comfort for the writer. Yeah, I almost would like to meet more writers face-to-face as opposed to the internet, but that can be fairly difficult as well. I really do appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anywhere out there on the internet that experienced but relatively new editors such as myself have an actual chance at getting a freelance job? I'm not asking for writers to gamble with me, but just to give me the opportunity to do some sample editing to see if they would like to hire me.

Kboards. That's where I got my start. If your initial rates are competitive and your free sample edits are strong, you'll start to pick up clients.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I used a professional editor once years ago. She had worked for several publishing companies and as an agent. Not only did she edit my nonfiction book proposal, she shared some contacts with me to get the ball rolling. She also talked with me about structure and the concept. I found her by word of mouth, and was very happy with what she did for me.

The thing is that she had an impressive resume. I would not have paid for this service otherwise. This is your competition. I'm not saying you can't find work, but maybe you should try working someplace as an editor before trying to branch out on your own.

hikarinotsubasa

Human, last I checked
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a bright center to the universe...
I started on Elance in September, with a few samples and not a lot of credentials other than being an agented author (which doesn't necessarily mean someone is a good editor... still, it's better than nothing at all). For the first couple of months, it was hard to find clients because, as has been mentioned before, some people charge practically nothing.

I have no idea if they are offering professional quality editing... for fun? Not sure why someone would edit a whole novel for $50, but apparently some of them do. Or if those clients are getting what they pay for, but the good news is that some clients don't automatically go with the lowest bidder (the one time I hired on Elance, I didn't either... some people just want it done cheap, others want it done well).

Of course, I also couldn't charge the same amount that someone with a lot of existing feedback could, so I tried to keep my prices SLIGHTLY discounted compared to more established editors, but still enough that I'd be making more per hour than I would at a McJob.

I also offered a free sample edit of 2-3 pages for any prospective client, and posted a sample that I had done before. I had to show them what I was capable of, since I didn't have any feedback.

That was about six months ago. Now, I have referrals from those first clients and repeat jobs coming in. I am having to turn down jobs because I just don't have the time. And I'm still not charging what you'd pay for someone who used to work at a publishing house, but I'm making more per hour working at home than I would make working outside the home (FYI, I don't have any kind of on-paper qualification that would get me much more than a McJob... so YMMV there)

You can do well on Elance. But you have to walk that fine line between competitive pricing and ridiculous, at least at first, and you have to be able to PROVE that you can do what you say you can do, and that your work is worth at least the amount that you are asking.

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
It's not about editing, but I mainly started with those sites when I launched myself into translating. Elance, Freelancers and a few websites focusing on translation only.

I have seen the undercutting, especially on Freelancers and Elance, although when I started, Elance was more reasonable. But that was quite a few years ago.

To be honest, I stayed on Elance and Freelancers a couple of years but it was hard. I did get a few jobs from there and a regular client for 3-4 years (I translate less nowadays as I don't do it full-time anymore). But the undercutting doesn't leave much chance and is discouraging. Both because your job is potentially given to someone else who isn't that professional (I've had to proofread Googled translations by some less reputable "agencies", believe me) and someone is ending, without really knowing, with a poor translation. But on the other side, there are people out there who are a bit more "savvy" and know that cheapest doesn't mean best. I think once you get assignments and get ratings (some of the sites have this feature) it gets easier.

What I'm saying is yes, you might hurt a bit of a "wall" but it still might prove worth it.

But by all means, try and join writer and editor circles as well. Make yourself known out there as much as you can. Once you get a few jobs, it will get easier. For the translation, it took me a couple of years, but in the end, I was working for regular clients and didn't need to rely (and spend a lot of time for pretty much not much) on those sites anymore.

Best of luck :)

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Hi,
I am trying to get some freelance work editing fiction, but all the freelance service sites such as elance and guru are bombarded with people looking for work. Also, the sites themselves are not specific to writing. Another issue with them (or at least Elance) is that people offer to do jobs for ridiculously cheap amounts (edit a whole novel for $10 ?!) I've also tried craigslist and other more message board-oriented sites, but there are usually only a handful of jobs posted there.

Hello, Word Trance.

WRT Craigslist and the rest, read the threads here on AW. I wouldn't recommend them at all.

You can take editing tests with publishers. Before you ask a publisher for a test, check them here on AW and on P-E to see how they treat authors.

Anyone who doesn't pay authors and/or doesn't reply to them will likely not pay freelance editors and/or reply to them either.

Also... you don't mention which kind of editing you do. That matters. Have you read the Different levels of editing thread?

Is there anywhere out there on the internet that experienced but relatively new editors such as myself have an actual chance at getting a freelance job?

Yes. I got my first job because I hit up publishers for work. I chose genre publishers.

However, the sf/f genre has a lot of small presses and micropresses run by volunteers. You can volunteer with them for experience and references. This may apply to mystery too, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not asking for writers to gamble with me, but just to give me the opportunity to do some sample editing to see if they would like to hire me.

I appreciate any help or information you can provide.
Thanks

Did you decide what kind of fiction you want to work on?

Also ask editors if they'd mentor you, give you advice, etc.

There's online courses you can take; some have editing forums. I collected a bunch of useful editing/freelancing links on my blog during September 2013.

Hope this helps. :)

Best,