The Legend of Korra

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
@pandaponies: Hooray! *throws things into suitcase and runs gleefully up dock onto ship* Love the gif haha. And I couldn't agree more with your sentiments re: Mako and Bolin. Here's hoping things will get better?

Also, I am reminded of a Tumblr post I saw....

Fire: lightning-bending
Earth: metalbending
Water: bloodbending
Air: ...fart-bending

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Having re-watched some of the earlier episodes, I agree with whoever said earlier that Korra's bending should have been taken away. Or rather, I hope it will be in the season finale. If bending can be taken away, maybe it can be restored as well, and it would be some interesting character development to see Korra really have to dive into the spiritual side of her training and learn how to get along without bending.

This would be awesome.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Was this past episode the first lightning redirection we've seen, or had Mako done that before?

I squeed just getting to hear Dante Basco again, regardless of whether the voice fit the face. I see Iroh being either Asami's consolation prize or a second weird angle of the love triangle, where Mako's being pulled between Asami and Korra, and Korra is being pulled between Mako and ZukoIroh. And until they say otherwise, I'm going to choose to believe that Iroh is Katara's third child (a change-of-life baby!) :wag:

maramoser said:
And poor Bo. He used to have screentime back in the days of Episode 2 and 3. Now I'm started to wonder why he's even here!

I think this is my one and only real disappointment with the show. I really like the show, but I don't LOVE it the way I did A:TLA. In A:TLA, everyone in the Gaang was important and got screen time. If the plot pacing didn't allow in one episode, they were given more time in another. There was never a time when I felt Sokka, Toph, or Katara was an accessory character. They all had background stories and development. Aang was still the MC, but the others were vital to the group. You could pretty much lose Bolin, Mako, or Asami, and keep carrying on. Especially Bolin, now, which is such a shame. He was my favorite.

And yes, it was the original format that necessitated the shrink on development, but I really hope this gets reassessed now that the show is bigger than they first invisioned.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And yes, it was the original format that necessitated the shrink on development, but I really hope this gets reassessed now that the show is bigger than they first invisioned.

Yeah, frankly, if there is a show that DESERVES to be embiggened, this is the cromulant one!

The only real problems I have with Korra is, doubtlessly, due to the required focusing and trimming of plotlines by the shorter season length.

Hell, even with those issues, it's still incredibly baller.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: And I guess Aang and Katara's other kids are waterbenders? Cause they have three, but Lin says Tenzin and family are the only airbenders in the world.
An official family tree confirmed that Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a non-bender (link).

Possible spoiler: Iroh is Zuko’s grandson, not his son (link).

I really, really hope the last two episodes will answer some more questions. I want to know more about Amon's back story ... and Lin's daddy! :poke:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that the last two episodes answer some questions, but leave lots open so that another 3 seasons can be demanded >.>

heza

Registered
Reaction score
An official family tree confirmed that Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a non-bender (link).

I'm going to completely fail to acknowledge that as proof and cling to my delusions just a tad bit longer.... :D

I really, really hope the last two episodes will answer some more questions. I want to know more about Amon's back story ... and Lin's daddy! :poke:

I was totally wondering while watching this ep, by way of witnessing yet more of Lin's (obviously inherited badassery), who ended up with cajones big enough to marry Toph. Totally want to know that.

Hope it wasn't Haru.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
heza, we see Mako bend lightning in episode 3 or 4. Whichever episode it is where the Equalists kidnap the bending mobsters and have Bolin too. He has a day job with other lightning benders at a power plant.

And I'm convinced Lin doesn't have a Daddy. Toph just decided to have a daughter one day and pulled some bad ass parthenogenesis. :) What? I never never said my headcanons made sense.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
heza, we see Mako bend lightning in episode 3 or 4. Whichever episode it is where the Equalists kidnap the bending mobsters and have Bolin too. He has a day job with other lightning benders at a power plant.

Oh yeah... I'm going to have to rewatch that. Were they redirecting? Or just producing? I'm surprised I didn't remember that because I think that was one of the first things that made me think along the same lines that seeing him do it in this last episode did... mainly that bending has come a long way... redirecting lightning and bending metal used to be big, difficult, master-level stuff, and now Joe Bender can do it. And Amon can bend bending, even though that used to be Avatar-only power. It makes me wonder what's coming next? Like I've been waiting and waiting for Korra to glow it up, but now I'm wondering if that's even big enough for this world...

And I'm convinced Lin doesn't have a Daddy. Toph just decided to have a daughter one day and pulled some bad ass parthenogenesis. :) What? I never never said my headcanons made sense.

Toph (chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.
Toph (picking nose): I think I'll bend metal.
Toph (scratching ass): I think I'll reproduce asexually.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Toph (chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.

Dude, you best be glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

My suspicions on Toph's baby daddy. 1) Sokka or Aang, which is why Lin couldn't be with Tenzin. Any other guy, well, I don't believe it. I mean, Lin reminds me of the cop in Les Mis, and he was illegitimate. I'm probably wrong, and it's probably Haru or wheelchair inventor kid or (barf) the Duke, but I can hope that Bryke decided to get a bit adventurous.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

Possible spoiler: Iroh is Zuko’s grandson, not his son (link).

Love that family tree - where is it from?

Can't wait until Saturday...

*glares at clock*

Faster... FASTER!!!

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Pff, we all know it was Suki.

Sokka might have helped.

Hah!

You know, I liked Suki before season three. I didn't understand why they brought her back, tbh. She was awesome and then she was just... Sokka's arm pillow.

Maybe it was Jet. If he didn't die, that is. Jet is just about the only guy crazy enough on the show to procreate (yes, procreate) with Toph. And badass enough to father Lin.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
She didn't seem the same, though. I was just disappointed. No discussion on how she fared in jail, how Azula treated her, no nothing. I thought there'd be more depth to her character after she was in the toughest prison in the world for a few months. Instead, she was just the GF quipster who could kick a bit of ass. Not quite as bad as Yue, but not what I'd expected from her character.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah... I'm going to have to rewatch that. Were they redirecting? Or just producing? I'm surprised I didn't remember that because I think that was one of the first things that made me think along the same lines that seeing him do it in this last episode did... mainly that bending has come a long way... redirecting lightning and bending metal used to be big, difficult, master-level stuff, and now Joe Bender can do it. And Amon can bend bending, even though that used to be Avatar-only power. It makes me wonder what's coming next? Like I've been waiting and waiting for Korra to glow it up, but now I'm wondering if that's even big enough for this world...

Duh. You're right. This was the first time we saw him redirect it. *puts on dunce cap* It does raise some interesting questions considering it's a technique Iroh created. I wonder how he and Zuko managed to spread it like that.

I still have money on Korra going Avatar State in the finale. At least I hope so, since I don't see her mastering air bending any time soon. She's got to make a real connection with Aang (other than flashbacks) somehow.

(chewing toenails): I think I'll learn to see with my feet.

:roll: Exactly!

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I still have money on Korra going Avatar State in the finale.

Me too. In the teaser where you see Amon put his thumb on her forehead like he's about to take her bending away, I bet THAT's the moment it happens.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I bet that she goes avatar state AFTER her bending gets taken away, when she makes a major spiritual realization.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
^That'd be much better, IMO. Her just going all Avatar state when he puts his thumb on her head would be pretty predictable and anti-climatic. It'd make me wonder what the point of the whole series was if it was that easy to take him down.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I personally think the series point is that...well, there is a historical problem in the avatar world, one that the characters haven't really adressed. They might beat up amon, but they need to deal with the fact that...well...

He has a point.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
From her spiritual/personal growth perspective, though. If taking him down is just as easy as glowing it up, well, what's the point of her growing and training and learning? It's Aang's dilemma, really, that I'm wondering how they're going to get around since she doesn't have his sense of monk morality, thou shalt not kill, ingrained into her.

I'm hoping his defeat will be more than the great avatar spirit tossing him around. I hope it's Korra actually thinking, and not the god mode doing it for her. That's probably why I stopped reading Naruto. Watching the fox pull him out of all the big problems got annoying after a while. I'm more interested in her big show down for season one, and the world's showdown in season two.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Put me down on the Korra + Asami team. WAY more interesting than what they've done with Mako, ever.

I miss Zuko...

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo, good points, you two. Zoombie, now that you say that, your prediction seems more likely.