Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
More great photos everyone. And Haggis, that is one terrifying avatar.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
birdbath_by_Rosemerrie.jpg

I don't know what kind of bird this is. I took the picture in Bradenton at the Hernando de Soto park. It had rained recently and it's taking a bath in a rain puddle that formed near the Manatee River.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
And now for something completely different...

DSCN0275.jpg
Wow! What a beautiful shot. Love the colors.

birdbath_by_Rosemerrie.jpg

I don't know what kind of bird this is. I took the picture in Bradenton at the Hernando de Soto park. It had rained recently and it's taking a bath in a rain puddle that formed near the Manatee River.
It looks like a great blue heron, but it's hard to say for sure at that distance.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think now we need a Charlie and the Nature Factory theme song. Should I write one?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I think now we need a Charlie and the Nature Factory theme song. Should I write one?
Yes! And if it's half as good as your thread title idea, it'll be a hit. :)

Here's a closer view of a great blue for Lyra to see if she can recall if her bird resembled this one:

2-10-12028-SM.jpg

They're not easily approachable and have earned their nickname, Big Cranky, for good reason.

One of them jabbed a friend of mine with its beak while he was trying to clear a tangled mess of fishing line from its wings. The blow was swift and struck him hard near the corner of his right eye. His head snapped back and he fell bleeding as if he'd been punched in the face.

While he recovered his senses, he swore that he'd break that bird's neck. I removed my my t-shirt and placed it over the heron's head, easily subduing her, then cut away the fishing line before my friend could make good on his threat. She flew off, squawking the whole way.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! And if it's half as good as your thread title idea, it'll be a hit. :)

Here's a closer view of a great blue for Lyra to see if she can recall if her bird resembled this one:

2-10-12028-SM.jpg

They're not easily approachable and have earned their nickname, Big Cranky, for good reason.

One of them jabbed a friend of mine with its beak while he was trying to clear a tangled mess of fishing line from its wings. The blow was swift and struck him hard near the corner of his right eye. His head snapped back and he fell bleeding as if he'd been punched in the face.

While he recovered his senses, he swore that he'd break that bird's neck. I removed my my t-shirt and placed it over the heron's head, easily subduing her, then cut away the fishing line before my friend could make good on his threat. She flew off, squawking the whole way.
That damn thing is all neck, Dino.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That damn thing is all neck, Dino.
It is, and it's packed with all kinds of attitude. No other birds hang out with them; as soon as they show up, the place scatters as they take over the area, alone.

Their smaller cousins, the little blues, are far more sociable and often share the same feeding areas with other birds.

Such as this one, pictured alone but wouldn't mind a little company:

2-16-12039-SM.jpg

Please note this is a tricolored heron, not a little blue heron. More about that here.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One more for the road, another little blue:

2-9-12116-SM.jpg

Please note this is a tricolored heron, not a little blue heron. More about that here.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, the little blues are SOO cute!

There's a big blue that hangs out on a pier near here that doesn't mind people, so much. He keeps a close eye, but he lets us get pretty close.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Those are some great photos of herons, SK. Are they used to humans being around or do you have an awesome camera with an even more awesome zoom?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
The bird might be a little blue heron. I didn't think to use the zoom too much on my camera. I had just gotten it and still learning the ins and outs.

It met an unfortunate canoe accident a few years later. While I didn't physically lose it. It took a complete dunk in the river.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, the little blues are SOO cute!
Have you ever seen the darker colored ones? They're the same size, yet their head and neck areas have a maroon tinge that's striking.
There's a big blue that hangs out on a pier near here that doesn't mind people, so much. He keeps a close eye, but he lets us get pretty close.
I've seen similar great blues hang around bait shops and marinas, and one has been traveling for years on a friend's boat when he's out crabbing.

One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed happened one evening when I was having drinks with some friends on their dock. A rat appeared nearby, and before I could jump onto the table out of fear its way, a great blue heron swooped in and pierced the rat with her beak. She flew off, a dark silhouette against an orange sky, the rat dangling from her mouth. It happened very fast, and all that was left of the encounter was a smear of blood near the edge of the dock.
Those are some great photos of herons, SK. Are they used to humans being around or do you have an awesome camera with an even more awesome zoom?
I use a Nikon D80 with three main lenses: 18-135mm, 55-200mm and 70-300mm. I usually make up my mind before leaving the house which one to mount, depending on what I'm in the mood to shoot at the time. It never fails, though, that I wish I'd brought one or both of the two I left behind when certain situations arise. But I'm lazy and prefer not to lug around extra lenses.

What's more important than quality equipment, I think, is being in the right position at the right time. It takes patience and some study of the subjects, along with a stealthy approach. After a while, you can almost predict what the animal will do and anticipate the shot before it happens. That's what works best for me, as I can't ever seem to swing my camera into position fast enough to take unexpected shots. Oh I try, of course, all the time; but they never seem to turn out very well. :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, SK! You keep amazing us all with your stunning photos. You need to send some of these in to National Geographic or Audubon!

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does this look more like it?

As I mentioned in my previous post, some little blues have darker coloring. I could be misidentifying the bird, however, so don't take my word for it!

3-9-12060-SM.jpg

SK, I love this photo. It is now my desktop.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
We had one of the big blue herons that came to our pond where I worked. He would usually fly off when anyone came out, but I ate my lunch there by the pond, and he starting staying after he got to know my (boring) habits :)

Oh, and my brother's current wildlife interaction made ESPN today, lol! I had literally just watched it on youtube, and it came on during the NC State VA game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XBFaG5zGY

Ratatouille The Snowboarding Opossum

This is what my brother does at work :ROFL:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed happened one evening when I was having drinks with some friends on their dock. A rat appeared nearby, and before I could jump onto the table out of fear its way, a great blue heron swooped in and pierced the rat with her beak. She flew off, a dark silhouette against an orange sky, the rat dangling from her mouth. It happened very fast, and all that was left of the encounter was a smear of blood near the edge of the dock.

That would be absolutely disgusting and yet fascinating. Birds are amazing. I love to watch the seagulls at the beach--few animals are that persistent. If they ever teamed up with squirrels, they'd rule the world.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
More great photos everyone. And Haggis, that is one terrifying avatar.
Thank you. I think so too.

I don't know if you all realize this, but SK has gone to extreme efforts to bring us the finest in photographs--sometimes at great personal risk. For example, here he is trying to get that close up picture of the Haggisaurus he promised:

dino.jpg

And here he is trying to get a different angle on the swamp:

dino2.jpg

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Not my doing, I assure you. I'm much too evil for a cute avatar like this.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What shapely legs you have, SK! :D

And Haggis, admit it. This is just your softer, sweeter side showing.