THE OFFICIAL "I NEED A HUMOR CRIT" THREAD (Got Humor in SYW? Tell us here!)

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Rich,
I'm no genius at these things. The password for Share your work is "vista", as for enabling your cookies...

Here is what I suggest without knowing your browser:

1. click on the help menu in your browser window

2. In the help file, information about cookies should be listed under "cookies", "privacy" or "security". You need the information on how to "allow cookies" or to "accept cookies" the phrasing may vary.

3. Follow those instructions and voila! You'll get cookies!

Failing that, send a PM to Roger Carlson (Tech Mod) he may be able to help you.

Best of luck,
Barb

JEP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jepreport.blogspot.com
New Submission "Notes From Skid Row"

I just posted a story in SYW "Notes From Skid Row". This piece has received awesome reviews on my blog site as well as on a comedy website it was published on, but of late has been garnering an impressive array of rejection slips from some of the industry's leading publications. I would really appreciate some honest feedback from fellow aspiring humor writers.

Thank you so much.

Bret

Opinionated curmudgeon
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi funny people. I dove in SYW with a piece called Vacation. A look at the self inflicted pain of getting away from it all.

savethemooses

Okay, I posted my first SYW under the title "My hips are dirty, rotten liars."

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have been posting funny poems (I, at least, find them, funny) on poetry critique. I just wrote them for fun but have been getting pretty decent responses that make me wonder if I should continue writing more like them or maybe even submit something? Someone please burst my bubble if you feel it must be burst. Thnx in advance!!

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In desperate need of YOUR help

Would greatly appreciate all positive and or negative comments on my latest posting "How to get a free gym membership." I personally do not find it vulgar, but was warned to warn people in future. Got one response so far, they said they laughed (albeit possibly at themselves), so shouldn't be that hard to get through. Apart from first initial reference to paedophilia it really is not that low brow at all... could go on hyping this up forever but must eventually submit reply... anyway I will so appreciate anyone who takes from their time to at least try and read it. Thnx!

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Since the people here have a good sense of writing in addition to a sense of humor, I would ask all of you to look at any one of the three selections I have posted in SYW.

Submission Guidlines for our Periodical (Where should I send this or what needs to be done to tighten it up and make it even more priggish?)

Potty Wars --searching for a place for publication --suggestions welcome.

and third is a stretch for me in the sci-fi section, The Siphoning Man --trying to work on a book, and this is it. Help me sharpen it. --Thank you very much.

sdarb

You want me to write what?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just posted a chapter of my WIP in the humor section...the book has taken on a life of its own and the chapters (no outline here!!) are transitioning like a VCR tape - fast forward, rewind, pause?

Anyway - it's titled "The Free State"

Thanks in advance!!

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
AmyDoodle said:
Hi all! I just posted a piece in Share Your Work that didn't come near to kicking the competition in The Writing Fairy contest. Is there any hope or should I disconnect life support now? Thanks for your input!

I thought it was hilarious.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Amy, for what it's worth, I think your location description alone is hilarious.

Hang in there, sister. It's not your fault when the biased judges just don't get you. (As I tell myself frequently.)

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Been suggested I post here when I have stuff to put in SYW since recent submissions have had little traffic.

Please let me know how to polish these two pieces, Ateams and Bteams is a bit soft, and Goodalls in Our Midst, well, I think it's good and that's a bit of a problem, I can't see what isn't good about it.

Feel free to crit away if something doesn't feel right to you.

Many thanks in advance

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty then, my first work for critique is up. It's called "The Brown Brown Grass of Home."

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to read it.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Since this seems to be the thread to refer to the thread...take a look at my first pages...and tell me if you agree with that dork agent or not.
THIS CHAPTER DOESN'T SUCK... OR DOES IT? is name of thread. Probably not a good choice for title, huh?

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Piece in SYW

Hey Everyone,

I have a new piece in the humor section, Why Aliens Attack America, I am thinking of changing the title to "To Better Serve Mankind" but it needs some polishing, I want to send it to a Sci-fi mag after we get through destroying it enough to make sure each paragraph pops.

Thanks for your help as always and see you on the boards.

Sherrytex
p.s. rep points freely and gratefully given for crits

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have a humorous piece in... Erotica! It is a steamy, satirical look at a parisian gay gym. PM me if you need help getting in