• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Light Sword Publishing / LSP Digital, LLC

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing published since May '09. Dare we hope...?

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Well if you look under the romance tab Linda Daly is releasing another Dove novel SOILED DOVE, what an appropriate title, on April 15 2010....so some activity is still going on there :/

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Oh, God, not again. This is whack-a-mole, isn't it?

I applaud your diligence in keeping track of the LSP nonsense, Victoria. But there are times when I wonder if any author, new or not, caught by such traps doesn't fundamentally deserve the hell they're going to put themselves into? Researching these guys isn't that hard.

By the way, now when I see 'LSP' I don't see 'Light Sword Publications', but 'Lumpy Space Princess' from Adventure Time. Snarky, entitled, rather useless -- a great mascot for a publisher!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
But there are times when I wonder if any author, new or not, caught by such traps doesn't fundamentally deserve the hell they're going to put themselves into? Researching these guys isn't that hard.

Many people feel the same way. But flip it around: if you (using "you" in the generic sense, not directing it anywhere in particular) don't feel that gullible writers deserve protection, maybe you can agree that predatory publishers don't deserve victims.

- Victoria

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Many people feel the same way. But flip it around: if you (using "you" in the generic sense, not directing it anywhere in particular) don't feel that gullible writers deserve protection, maybe you can agree that predatory publishers don't deserve victims.

- Victoria

+1

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Oh. My. Word. I thought Limp Sword had faded into oblivion long ago.

And why -- does anyone know -- was the judgment vacated? That means she never has to pay anyone to whom she owes royalty payments? I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I thought the whole purpose of going to law for breach of contract was to obtain the monies owed.

I hope Limp Sword does a fast fade once more, so as to avoid more author-damage.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely! The extracts from Daly's books were hilarious. I can't believe that this woman is giving advice on how to write...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I can't believe that this woman is giving advice on how to write...

I checked it out through the Look Inside feature.

Today's writers are required to turn in a well-written, edited, hard copy, or, digital protected file to specific industry standards, along with a comprehensive proposal or treatment that includes your projects marketability.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
And why -- does anyone know -- was the judgment vacated? That means she never has to pay anyone to whom she owes royalty payments?

The vacated judgment was won by Judith Eastwood, who sued Daly, Bonnie Kirby, and Light Sword for fraud (among other things). I'm no legal expert, but from the documents on PACER it looks to me as if the judgment was vacated as part of the disposition of Daly's bankruptcy--probably because the court decided she was insolvent.

See this comment on my LSP post for a convincing theory on how LSP Digital escaped the court's notice.

- Victoria

SimplyStated

Registered
Reaction score
I just went over to the LSP Digital web pages. It looks like they've been revised, yet again. You note I didn't say edited - just revised. When this subject came up the other day I went and looked at LSP then. There was a page that showed the company's 'staff': Charlotte J. Parker and Sheryl Hames Torres were listed as editorial (Parker did the 'editing' on Daly's now infamous 'Aspiring Writers Guide') and aquisitions directors. Parker is a former Lightsword author, and both she and Torres were published by the now-defunct Sapphire Blue Publishing house.

Now that page is gone and so is the 'Coffee Break Reads' link, and all the information regarding LSP reopening for submissions in January. So, based on that, what I have to say is YIPPIE! Apparently keeping Daly's feet to the fire has actually done some good.

That is unless my browser is just hitting on old pages that are out there somewhere. Please post if you're still seeing the new info on their pages!