What song are you listening to

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this counts, but here there is only the sound of snow falling at night.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Signe by Eric Clapton

Unplugged is one of the greatest live shows ever. And they actually recorded the bass right!

Back in middle school, I bought a guitar and was taught how to play by one of the music store owners. After several months of learning music, on the keyboard (mind you), we picked up the guitars and he asked me, "so, what do you want to play?" I didn't know. I wasn't that big into music. So he said, "go out in the shop and grab a used album of someone you like." K. So I ran out and went through the racks. After five minutes I pulled up an album my mother always played. Eric Clapton Unplugged. So I brought it back and Eric (I kid you not, that was his name), asked, "which song?" Signe, 'cause I liked it. We listened to it, he wrote up the notes and taught me the song. After two months I could play the entire album, and after all these years, I still can.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Clapton unplugged is a fine album that I bought on it's release and can't listen to anymore. I had to attend the funeral of a baby who was murdered. After the service they played Tears in Heaven. It blew me apart then and still does.

Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush - Don't Give Up

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Clapton unplugged is a fine album that I bought on it's release and can't listen to anymore. I had to attend the funeral of a baby who was murdered. After the service they played Tears in Heaven. It blew me apart then and still does.

Now that just sucks.

I ain't listening to a song. But these guys.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not a big jazz fan. I like some of the greater stuff, but not a fanatic. It's just far too boring for my tastes. (Says the guy who likes Post-rock... :p) Odd.

Suffer for Fashion by of Montreal

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar conversation with my buddy the other day. I can understand why folk don't dig jazz as it is daddy o, but post-rock and even most rock have directly benefited from the artistic, stylistic and emotional freedom jazz liberated from music.

There's many examples, but I think Nina Simone's versions of Wild is the Wind and Here Comes the Sun epitomize how jazz can expand popular music. I hear all of that in her interpretation of the melody in My Ship.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I wish I had the ear for music you guys have, the knowledge. Listening would be a richer, deeper experience, I bet.

I just want to get lost in it sometimes. Sometimes, I need silence, like you say Foley. Snow falling or tears sometimes, or sometimes music like Do You Feel Like We Do - Frampton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Yq5m9eLIQ&feature=related

I was eighteen. There was an ice storm, we couldn't leave. We played this over and over.

Yes we did.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nine tonight - Bob Seger

The Nine Tonight album is in the top five best live albums ever. Shoot, it makes a strong case for THE BEST live album ever! Still rocks after 30 years.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had the ear for music you guys have, the knowledge. Listening would be a richer, deeper experience, I bet.

Just start where many of us have started: Pitchfork.

But, what you listen to and like is the best music in the world.

Circuitry of the Wolf by Mew

Still, one of my favorite albums, and I can't stand any other album by them.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
that's great KK :Sun:
what you listen to and like is the best music in the world.

I agree with Will (and he introduced me to the very magical Tycho so he knows you know, he knows).
But, like you say, music, and some special silences, also get tied up so tightly with our memories that a kind of alchemy happens.
Tycho gets a break today, here it's just Dustin and me tapping away the night fantastic:

Dustin O'Halloran — We Move Lightly

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Taking about silence... one of the most eerie and hauntingly beautiful experience of my life was about, 8 years ago. I stayed up at Lake Tahoe, with my aunt. I was young, and her and my mother took off to party. I was left alone with her dog in a house in the "keys" right on the lake. After an hour, the dog had to go pee, whimpering at the door and such. So, I got the leash and took him out. He ran off to the bush and started to pee. Then, he sat down and everything fell to absolute silence. Now, I know recording booth silence, when you can hear your own blood circling around your ears and your bones squeak. And ever since, I've never been able to meet that hush silence ever again. It was deafening silent, as if I had gone deaf. No wind, no cars, nothing. Just hanging silence. And all I could do was shiver, but I was too frozen in fear to move. Then, a wolf howled and me and the dog darted back into the house.

His Hands Matched His Tongue by The Dear Hunter

names

Registered
Reaction score
Besides having the greatest hits of airsupply, I had downloaded these to complete the collection:

the power of love (you are my lady)
just as I am
two lonely people in the world
lonely is the night

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Sauger. I love all stories that include the line "then a wolf howled..." :)

Philip Glass talks about creating silences in his compositions specifically so listeners can enter the music. John Cage takes this idea to its extreme in 4'33!

Dustin O'Halloran - Opus #20