Greatest Horror Writer Of All Time If...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Yep I'd vote for Herbert too. (Since I can't say King hehe).
And Ray Bradbury. I've just been reading The Illustrated Man and there are some good horror stories in that.

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
Though not exclusively horror:
Shirley Jackson (The Lottery)
Henry James (The Turn of the Screw)
Mary Shelly (Frankenstein (pronounce Franken-STEEN))
Clive Barker (Several)

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Without a doubt Poe and Mary Shelley make my list. Shelley not only wrote one of the seminal works of horror when she wrote Frankenstien, she wrote one of the earliest seminal works of science fiction. I wouldn't hesitate to call her the mother of SF.

Everything Poe wrote seemed to be infused with darkness in some way. Well most, very few of his works aren't classifieable in some way or another as horror.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
She was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I thought I'd throw her name back into the ring as she's often overlooked as a horror writer:

Joyce Carol Oates.

I'd recommend checking out her short story collections for a taste of just how disturbing, gory, and frightening her work can be, especially the collections labelled "tales of mystery and suspense" (ie The Museum of Dr. Moses), although her standard literary collections always contain at least a few horrific zingers (ie Heat, which has "Family", a science fiction dystopian horror story).

Status
Not open for further replies.