Robots? Robots!!!

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Oooo yeeaaah. I've had a robot fetish since I was little girl (long story short, Transformers set me off on this path back in the 90s) and now I'm adding a short story chapter about it in my mecha themed book. Problem is, I've never written erotica before. I've read plently of it, and I would say about 97% of what I have has made me roll my eyes. Sorry, I just can't take "And then he shoved his dick into me. Hard. And I loved it in my pussy." Seriously. Not even joking, that's the kind of stuff I've found. Printed. IN A REAL BOOK!! I know! So anywho, when it comes to the pleasures of the, er, metal, rather than the flesh, what can you all suggest (if you can, maybe robot-erotica is not your cup of tea/you never thought about it) are the cliches to stay away from when it comes to a human and their non-human partner?

Thank you kindly!

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
A non-fiction suggestion: Love and Sex with Robots by David Levy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ColdWintersNight (brrrrrrr!), you could use some guidance on finding much better human-on-human erotica! But that's not what you asked, so we'll save it for another time.

I have not read any erotica with a robot, but I have no doubt it exists. I have read a fair bit of science fiction in which robots are characters who take on unique personalities while remaining robots, so there's no reason they couldn't have sexual functions among their capabilities.

Maryn, who'd take C3PO over R2D2

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ages and ages ago, I think Barbarella had a robot lover (this would have been a comic), plus Data on Star Trek next generation was, as he explained, "fully functional" when he was propositioned by a particularly randy Enterprise officer.

AphraB

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Data hooked up with both Lieutenant Tasha Yar and LTJG Jenna D'Sor, and probably the Borg Queenas well...

Tasha Yar! That's the name! Thanks!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And in Mass Effect 3, the ship's AI got a body - complete with 50's style chrome girl look - and dated the ship's pilot.

Assuming you didn't steal her, of course. But I really thought he needed a girlfriend, after he broke up with Willow.

(The pilot in Mass Effect is voice acted by the same guy who played Oz on Buffy, see. That's the joke.)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Back in the '80s Avengers comic, the Vision (android) married the Scarlet Witch (mutant/human). She seemed pretty happy about it, so I guess we can assume he was anatomically correct, and also "fully functional." The kids had to be conceived by magic, though.

Not sure if they're going to follow this plotline in subsequent Avengers movies.

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all those examples! But that brings me back to my question, does anyone feel like there are certain cliches when it comes to a human falling in love with a robot. Anything that makes your eyes roll?

Maryn, you and me both. ;)

Zoombie, I loooove the interaction between EDI and Joker. I feel like that would be a real-life scenario if an A.I. ever developed feelings for a human/human for an A.I.

AphraB

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really think of a cliche, other than cliches about falling in love. But what I think this concept gives you the opportunity to explore the human condition, just as SciFi/Spec/Fantasy/Interstitial does in general.

Maybe some of your past relationships have made you feel as if you *were* in love with a robot, dammit! The person does the same thing over and over, as if they were programmed . . . wait a minute . . . human are programmed! And they do indeed repeat behaviors -- even maladaptive ones -- over and over! Oh no!!!:Shrug:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all those examples! But that brings me back to my question, does anyone feel like there are certain cliches when it comes to a human falling in love with a robot. Anything that makes your eyes roll?

Maryn, you and me both. ;)

Zoombie, I loooove the interaction between EDI and Joker. I feel like that would be a real-life scenario if an A.I. ever developed feelings for a human/human for an A.I.

The only cliche that really annoys me when it comes to robots/AIs (and this applies to all plot situations, not just the shmexy ones) is the robot who wants to become 'more human'. Like, why? Cybernetic body dysmorphia? Kinkiness? Those'd be legitimate reasons. 'To know what it is to love'? Please, vomit.

AphraB

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only cliche that really annoys me when it comes to robots/AIs (and this applies to all plot situations, not just the shmexy ones) is the robot who wants to become 'more human'.

Wanting to be a "real boy" . . .

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, can't believe I almost missed this thread.

I too have sort of a robot fetish, although my stuff is more toward cyborgs than full robots--Metal modifications, human brain. The stuff I write, and love to read, is all about people adjusting to being altered that way.

I wish there were more robot and cyborg stories!

In terms of tropes, the robot who wants to be human trope has been mentioned, and was probably set by Data from Star Trek.

One trope I cannot stand is that of the servile robot who is a perfect lover in all ways. Think Chi from Chobits. It's usually a female robot who epitomizes the submissive woman trope.

There must be something in between a robot rejecting their, uh, robotness, and a robot who functions as nothing more than to serve their owner, right?

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I love robots. I've loved them since I was a child. I used to watch Lost In Space and that set me on the path for science fiction, but the strange thing is, even though I a robot nut, you'd think The Galactic Seven would have a robot. It doesn't. It isn't until my forth novel that I have one, and that is only used as a plot device. I do plan on having one of the crew members of the Galactic Seven build on at some point.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Four words: Heavy. Metal. Motion. Picture.

...If you don't mind comedy with your smut. And it's mostly just post-coital, with lots of female human nudity. And also the robot is voiced by John Candy.

Make sure it's Heavy Metal and not Heavy Metal 2000.

ETA: Forget everything I said above and look for the graphic novels Alex + Ada. Alex's fiance leaves him and his aunt gets him an android for 'companionship', but it goes much deeper than that. You will adore it, I am confident in this.

Last edited:

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
For some reason this reminds me of that episode of The Big Bang Theory where Wolowitz was going to make a robot girl friend and a robot prostitute. They asked him why he needed both and he said "There are things you do with your robot prostitute that you don't do with your robot girl friend". Just thought that was kind of funny. Anyway I remember Tasha Yar, the one he just got used to being around, but somehow I would like to have thought there was more. I have seen robot romances in other things, but somehow it just seems odd to me. In fact, there was the Robot prostitute lady in Blade Runner, and I believe that Jude Law's character in A.I. Artificial Intelligence was a prostitute, and there were also prostitutes in that show that was on Fox with Karl Urban where he was the cop with the realistic robot partner. Anyway, just some examples, haha. Might wanna check those out. Anyway, laters!!

Plisley

Registered
Reaction score
Not certain if you're still looking for input since this thread is a few months old but…
What is your robot’s appearance? I couldn’t find if/where you specify. You mentioned Transformers and your book is mecha themed but all the examples people gave (that I could recognize) don’t really fit into those categories.
What size are they?
Are they man made or alien?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The only cliche that really annoys me when it comes to robots/AIs (and this applies to all plot situations, not just the shmexy ones) is the robot who wants to become 'more human'. Like, why? Cybernetic body dysmorphia? Kinkiness? Those'd be legitimate reasons. 'To know what it is to love'? Please, vomit.

In my last short story my android girl experiences dysphoria.

She's a trans human. In the human direction.

Next you'll tell her robots don't have gender. :tongue

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
In my last short story my android girl experiences dysphoria.

She's a trans human. In the human direction.

Next you'll tell her robots don't have gender. :tongue
See? To me that's a great reason a robot would want to be human. Not just 'I want to become organic so I can know the inevitability of senescence and death true feels', which 1. I'd do a sentient robot (or alien) the basic courtesy of assuming they have already, and 2. if not, why not just program yourself some feels and avoid all that icky death stuff? But if robogirl has dysphoria based on her physical substrate or phenotype as a sort of metaphor for gender dysphoria? That's not cliched, that's a fascinating theme. I can't think of many SF works that are similar.

And I'd never presume to tell a robot they didn't have gender.

spicefiction

Independant Author
Registered
Reaction score
The cliché that comes to mind is the male human and the female robot that is a sort of hyper-sophisticated sex doll. The story usually has the guy working really hard to create or obtain the robot, only to have it backfire with some unforeseen (at least by him) twist.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
My husband watched the cartoon Futurama and I remember one episode where personalities of famous people are loading into a robot. The MC chooses Lucy Liu as his robot girlfriend.