Literary Agent Attacked (apparently by rejected author)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Last edited:

TherapistWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnaglaser.biz
I'm so glad her bulldog was with her and her daughter was NOT. (It may have been mentioned, but the attack occured in front of the child's school and was thought, at first, to be a failed carjack attempt.) I have a bulldog and I'm glad the breed did us proud.

Also, the attacker apparently tracked her done via her Twitter feeds and Foursquare postings. That is scary as hell.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I am an avid watcher of "World's Dumbest" videos. (don't judge me!)

One segment had to do with someone being robbed because he advertised on Facebook that he'd be out of the house getting surgery and thus the next-door neighbor was able to get in and rob him blind - except for the spycam that caught him.

One comedian commented "That's why every update I put on Facebook starts with 'I am at home cleaning my guns'".

I realize this is the current trend - telling everyone where and what you're doing but... I don't tell people when I'm home alone or when I go out of the house. Why take the risk?

Hope they lock this jerk up for life. If not longer.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this in a comment on a Dear Author post; I was just coming here to see if anyone on AW had picked it up.

I'm still in shock.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
OMFG.

This goes well beyond the usual scope of authors behaving badly.

Lock this guy up. And what callalily said.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just, wow.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Jesus. Hoping the cops make an example out of him to deter any other whackos from copycatting this.

Every agent needs to own a large dog, IMO.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Not using Foursquare might have only helped to a point, because he could have located her by her work address too. A determined-enough psycho will find a way, and this was clearly a guy who wasn't going to cool down and let it go.

I'm so sorry for the victim; I hope she's doing well and will heal completely, body and mind.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I saw this last night. So scary (and yes, a very good reason I why I don't use foursquare or allow facebook to check me into a place even though I only have personal friends there). At least she is ok, though, and they seem to have caught the guy quickly. One more entitled asshole criminal off the streets, hopefully.

One thing though, I thought it was her Jack Russell that bit the guy? That was what I read on twitter anyway, but maybe I misunderstood. Either way, hurray for dogs!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Newest literary trend to replace vampires, werewolves, and zombies -- attack of the special snowflakes...

Why are people wound so tight these days? Politics are the same way. Citizens are ready to lock-and-load over political issues and candidates. Hate has replaced civic pride and compromise.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This makes me want to cry. Pam is such a tremendous person. SO lovely. She said there was an attempted car-jacking...but that somebody filming it said there was more to it. I can't believe someone would do this. Poor Pam.

This makes me so sad. )-:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agent Pam Van Hylckama was assaulted, and it looks like the culprit was an author she rejected...

Did it get him a book deal? :)

There are psychos everywhere, the fact that this is on an agent makes it more relevant to us but it's not a common thing. Or at least I hope it isn't, agents aren't getting to be a larger segment of the population. We can't afford to lose them.

Jeff

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That guy clearly believes he's entitled to agent representation. I believe he's entitled to a long, stiff jail sentence. Yay for the dog! I hope the bite was deep and extremely painful.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I hope they throw the book at him.

What is troubling in cases like this is the trauma on the victim. And the possible lasting effects. I hope she has the courage to get back on the horse and send out the next rejection. No matter the strength and ugliness of the attack...something like this could snowball for the victim.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having been bit by a dog, even the smallest yapper can inflict serious pain (especially when it's on the lip. Srsly.)

I hope she's doing well.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I realize this is the current trend - telling everyone where and what you're doing but... I don't tell people when I'm home alone or when I go out of the house. Why take the risk?

Exactly. I've never understood the need to tell the world you're not at home. Might as well say 'please go round my house and rob me.'

I hope they throw the book at him.

I hope they throw his own book at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.