So what's for dinner?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A new Jewish Deli just opened in my neighborhood that I've been meaning to try. There was a decent one here that closed a couple years ago, and since then I've had to go about twenty minutes out of my way to get a fix. One of my first jobs (15?) was busboy/dishwasher in a great Jewish Deli where they paid very little, but we could eat anything we wanted and as much as we wanted. I developed a strong addiction to corned beef on rye during that time and I will feed that addiction tonight. Got a serious Jones.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Yumm cranberry beets. This is definitely my favorite way to eat beets now. And so simple - 3 cans sliced beets (not pickled) + 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce, mix and microwave.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I have some nice wild-caught cod fillets (from Trader Joe's), properly thawed in the fridge. Will probably gently cook in pan, with a little butter and sprinkling of salt, lemon-pepper, and dried parsley flakes. Salad is already made, and leftover brown rice still good. Steam some broccoli and it's a done deal. Oh, and wine. Maybe I'll open a bottle of something sparkling and white.

--Ken

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Vegetable soup and the BEST CORNBREAD IN THE WORLD.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have some nice wild-caught cod fillets (from Trader Joe's), properly thawed in the fridge. Will probably gently cook in pan, with a little butter and sprinkling of salt, lemon-pepper, and dried parsley flakes. Salad is already made, and leftover brown rice still good. Steam some broccoli and it's a done deal. Oh, and wine. Maybe I'll open a bottle of something sparkling and white.

--Ken
I love the taste of cod, but every time I've bought some it's had bones, to the point where I just won't buy it any more.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Get this: a friend of mine is bringing it to my house and cooking it for me. I don't know what it is, but who cares??

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chile rellenos, my way.

Anaheim chiles. Roast and peel off skins, remove seeds and membranes.

Slice red potatoes about a quarter inch thick, and layer in bottom of casserole dish. Sprinkle on a generous amount of chopped onions. Lay the chiles out for the next layer (open them up flat). Generous amount of shredded cheese of your choice. Pour beaten eggs (or egg beaters) over the rest. Use enough eggs so that they cover completely.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

The traditional way is to stuff the chiles with cheese, dip in beaten egg and flour for a batter, then deep fry.

MM

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Cod fillets, wrapped in collard greens, with a bit of orange juice (squeezed from half a fresh orange) and white wine, with the second half of the orange in slices, placed on top. All of this atop a bed of couscous with reconstituted wild mushrooms, wrapped in aluminum foil and placed in a sheet pan. Other side of the sheet pan, brussel sprouts, asparagus and onion, with a little bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and ground pepper.

Baked for ~20 minutes at 400 degrees F.

That's the plan. I'm pretty certain the fish and veggies will do fine. The couscous is an experiment. At worst, it gets dumped. I'll report back later on how this all works.

caw

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
For a change, I made a sort of beef stew in slow-cooker. (Beef stew is ordinarily my wife's department, and hers is a traditional variety, done in a cooking bag in the oven.)

I bought a pound of the best stew beef I could find at one of the better local stores: organic, grass-fed . . . and pricey. Also some multi-colored tiny finger-shaped ("fingerling") potatoes and some mini-carrots. Also some Original HP Sauce (which I had never seen before, but which looked interesting).

I poured two or three ounces or so of cream sherry (very inexpensive Christian Brothers -- great for cooking) into the pot, and added the beef chunks. Dripped on some of the DH Sauce. Would have used more, but it is VERY slow coming out of the bottle. Some salt and pepper. Stirred and turned to coat. Then added a layer of chopped yellow onion (from one whole medium onion), a layer of the carrots, and a layer of the potatoes, chunked, and another sprinkling of salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of dried parsley flakes.

(Sounds more complicated than it is. Prep time was only a few minutes, total.)

Cooked on medium (in a heavy stainless steel pan with watertight lid, on cooker base) for an hour and a half or a little more (would have been less at that temp but I had gone to the gym). House smelled great, and beef was already well done, so turned temp way down. Later had to add about three ounces of water, as too much liquid had evaporated. Turned down to lowest temp to coast to dinner time.

Result was really good. Enough left over for a couple of lunches.

--Ken

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're going out! :hooray:

However, this is the time of year I get rid of my winter insulation (blubber). Does cold weather make anyone else ravenous, btw?

So, the Olive Garden it is, for minestrone soup and salad. No breadsticks or wine. :cry:(but plenty of whine)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Last night, I took stir fry veggies, added some shrimp and served over rice last night. For that kidlet that doesn't eat, I fixed crescent rolls to go along with it.

Tonight, I am think either chili and something for the kids or maybe some kind of crockpot meal with chicken.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tacos, home made guac and a bottle of Dos XX --nothing spectacular here? Right, but we are having it ON THE DECK! --s6

Make it a margarita instead of the Dos XX, and I'm there. I have been jonesing for tacos, and probably won't get any until this summer. I don't make them at home any more, since Dad is gone, because hubby shouldn't eat them. And I only know of one restaurant that makes them the way we do. Unfortunately they are a six hour drive away.

Tonight, who knows, something with chicken.

MM

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Soaked some dried shitake mushrooms in warm water, now I'm cooking rice in the liquid. Getting ready to cook a London broil to go with it.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken thighs with carmelized onions, white wine, and garlic; baby red potatoes; broccoli.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The angel on one shoulder is thinking about getting some chicken or fish out of the freezer and the devil on the other shoulder is calling the angel a goody-two-shoes and thinking about nearby restaurants. Hmmm.

Last edited: