Thoughts on old world disabled peoples...

Da'loach

Registered
Reaction score
I've wondered what would become of someone back in the old world, say Roman era, who was handicapped, either by birth or circumstance. I don't see the topic brought up in many literary works.
Battles were brutal affairs and losing limbs or the ability to use them must have been a permanent struggle. Falling from a horse could cause an injury. Manual labour without machinery could cause permanent injury.

So what would life be like for someone who say broke their back and lost all movement in their arms and legs, would there have been services or would someone probably just "put them out of their misery"? As messed up as the thought might be I don't see, historically, too much evidence of wheelchair accessible ramps or a network of social services (not to deny it could exist) in old world cultures.

Thoughts or evidence?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Look at what happens in more primitive cultures today. Families look after each other and love is a binding force. If he or she had someone who could care for them then they would be cared for. A wealthier person could be carried in sedan chair or something similar. Of course they are more likely to die of the initial injuries.

Also think about the bible stories of people being brought to Jesus to be healed.

There is also a History Cold Case about a man with fused limbs who was with the army during the Civil War -- I'll go and find the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q6R2aQXsw

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Much would depend on your wealth and the extent of your family.

Although ancient people were pretty resourceful. There's a very nice example of a prosthetic toe from ancient Egypt and I seem to remember a a whole photo reel of ancient prosthetic limbs but I can't find it now. Could have been on National Geographic but anyway, it wasn't an isolated thing.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Very few would have survived to adulthood, and those that did only did because they had supportive families. Many would have been smothered at birth.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Attitudes toward disability and impairment would vary greatly by time, place, and type of disability or impairment. And as Friendly Frog said, the individual and family place in society. There are no blanket answers. I definitely support writing people with disabilities into historical fiction, but as with all things, do careful research. Don't assume. The meaning of disability changes based on social context and the ways people navigate it would change.

ETA Er, sorry if this sounds preachy. :(

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As people have said it depends on how well to do the family were, if not then you probably ended up sleeping on the streets, begging (but the freezing January nights in Rome would probably finish you off).

Not a theme you see often, but I would recommend Rosemary Sutcliff's The Eagle of the Ninth, where the MC is discharged from the Roman Army early in the book, and the question of disability and how Marcus is going function in a world outside the military is a prominent theme (Sutcliff herself was left disabled after suffering Stills Disease as a child). Sutcliff also wrote a book called Warrior Scarlet about a British Bronze Age boy with a crippled arm and his quest to become a warrior of his tribe.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would think there would be a huge difference between someone born disabled, and someone disabled as an adult. The adult would at least have formed relationships, have skills, etc, which would give something to build on, while the infant is relying solely on people to love him enough to look after him, even if he might not be of much 'benefit' later.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Tamerlane was lame, it didnt hurt his career any. Of course, thats a pretty mild affliction. I would assume deformities from battle were held in higher regard than birth defects, which were usually seen as a curse or punishment.