The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good luck Putt and Becca!! Putt, I'm glad you got receipt confirmation--one worry down, at least!

Becca, I'm so impressed that you finished and revised another book while waiting--I'm in the "fits and starts" revision/rewrite mode on book two (have been for a while--ugh!)

Are any of your agents going to Bologna?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy, that drawing is gorgeous. Beautiful and haunting...

Crossables crossed for your subs!! I love your title :).

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't she fab? It's going to be such a great launch. Thanks!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
That is beautiful, Peggy! What a cool launch idea, too.

Hi, Becca! I hope you hear back soon, and it's great to have another book ready to go!

Hope you hear soon, too, Putt. I know how agent PTSD feels — in my case, it's a fear that any given agent/editor can only like one book of mine and will reject everything else. (I do tend to write wildly different things when I indulge my weird ideas. :) )

Speaking of waiting ... I heard I'll be getting my editorial notes very soon. Jittery, y'all.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! It's pretty exciting. Getting a call from my agent in a little under two hours.

Treehouseman, unfortunately HC passed in the end, though they were very nice about it. Off-topic, but do you do any urban exploring in London? I did some a few years back and it was great, but the people I went with have moved away now, haha.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! It's pretty exciting. Getting a call from my agent in a little under two hours.

Treehouseman, unfortunately HC passed in the end, though they were very nice about it. Off-topic, but do you do any urban exploring in London? I did some a few years back and it was great, but the people I went with have moved away now, haha.

Never got to London unfortunately, but I know people who have (I'm from Australia) and document it fairly regularly. It's an exploring Mecca - all those lost rivers!

When I was younger I was probably into the more hard core stuff, but I got a little too old for climbing fences and security guard evasion! I'm more into the urban flaneur side of things, strolling through the Psychogeographical environment. The Cave Clan are holding their annual awards night next week, I might turn up after work to say hello to some old friends.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy - That is such a cool idea for the launch!

Hester - Thank you for the well wishes!!

Fuchsia - Sorry to hear about your agent PTSD. I remember you mentioning it before, it must have been a really shitty time! Good luck on the editorial notes!

Bryan - Sorry about HC passing. Let us know how the agent call goes!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Never got to London unfortunately, but I know people who have (I'm from Australia) and document it fairly regularly. It's an exploring Mecca - all those lost rivers!

Oh, sorry - for some reason I had the impression you were UK-based! But yeah, I live close to the huge abandoned Millennium Mills, but never made it inside...

Bryan - Sorry about HC passing. Let us know how the agent call goes!

No worries - I don't think I would have quite clicked with the editor anyway, though her feedback was very productive!

The call with my agent was great - she thinks we're very likely to get offers for both US and UK/Commonwealth rights in close succession, and we're going to put out a second round of submissions now that we can say there's 'strong interest'!

Then we talked about the pros and cons of smaller publishing houses that are likely to be more interested in developing a longer career and Big 5 houses that might throw more money at a first book but will drop you if it falls short of expectations. But until I have the luxury of choice I don't think I'll be overthinking it!

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Helloooo everyone! It's been a while since I poked my head in here. :) I went home to visit family and haven't been online in a while. Plus waiting for notes. *tickticktick* My poor agent is stuck in her place of vacation. Flights cancelled. So I assume edits will come…….eventually? :tongue
I did in the meantime write the first chapter of my next WIP :D so excited! (another YA contemp)

((Bryan)) sorry about the pass but fingers crossed after that agent call.

Becca I am so impressed with the fact you wrote another novel and edited it in the meantime.

Fuschia, hope you get your edit letter soon. Even if it is nerve-wracking.

And sorry to Putt and Fuschia on agent PTSD.

Peggy, love the sketch.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bryan - That is super exciting to hear! "Strong interest" sounds like it might give editors that extra nudge to get them reading faster.

Smiley - Oh no! Poor agent. How long have you been waiting for your notes?

I'm working on the book I wrote for Nano last year. I wrote it in 11 days, so it is a MESS. :D It's completely different from anything I've written in the past though, so that's kind of a nice change. But you know even though I'm working on a new project, half my mind is on the one sitting with my agents, going, "Bwuuuhhhhh, have they read it yet?? Do they hate it?? AAAHHHH."

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Bryan - That is super exciting to hear! "Strong interest" sounds like it might give editors that extra nudge to get them reading faster.

Smiley - Oh no! Poor agent. How long have you been waiting for your notes?

I'm working on the book I wrote for Nano last year. I wrote it in 11 days, so it is a MESS. :D It's completely different from anything I've written in the past though, so that's kind of a nice change. But you know even though I'm working on a new project, half my mind is on the one sitting with my agents, going, "Bwuuuhhhhh, have they read it yet?? Do they hate it?? AAAHHHH."

I completely sympathise! In fact, I'd say it was way more than just half my mind doing that.

And yeah - thank you! My book is being taken to an acquisitions meeting in a couple of weeks so we'll see what comes of that!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Bryan, and I wish you patience in waiting for that meeting! (I was a sleepless wreck, but I hope to do better if I'm ever lucky enough to be in that position again.)

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
***tiptoeing in nervously***

Probably way early to come in here, but wanted to say hi. Just signed with an agent a week ago. Waiting for revision suggestions...or whatever comes next? This is all new to me.

Glad to see so many people having success...gives me hope!

Bryan--that is exciting. Best of luck!

Lily--is this for your sequel?

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the passes, Lily. *pours some hot Vermont hard cider*

Welcome, Lena! Congrats on signing!

I'm bidding goodbye to my WIP for now and preparing to hibernate in the revision cave.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*adds chocolate truffles to the mix*

Sorry about the passes, Calla. But congratulations on your beautiful cover at the top of AW!!!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Fuschia, best of luck with the revision notes!!

Calla, sorry for the passes *offers hugs and more wine.*

Congrats on the agent, Lena, and good luck!!

Whip, congrats on finishing the pilot--writing a pilot sounds so cool :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.