Blogging about the past

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have to admit that I've been a bit lazy with my sourcing of images. I usually google a thought or an idea and see what comes up. Frustration = a girl hitting her head against a wall. I grab the URL, so that if you click the image, it goes to where I pulled it from. I guess I was thinking that with such a small readership, who would care, but it's probably time to re-evaluate that policy. It's definitely not my intention to infringe on anyone's rights.

I was under the impression that everything on Wikimedia Commons was fair game because the copyright had expired. I hope that's true and if so, I should probably replace my images with images sourced from there. I'm thinking about one of my posts that showed all of the Windsor and Hampton Court Beauties of the 17th century. I had to really cull the internet to find them all, not really thinking about what I was getting myself into. Oops.

My blog tends to trend towards writing issues more than history. I would prefer to do more history, but those posts don't seem to be very well received. When I do a history post, it's usually tied to whatever I am writing at the moment. Case in point, my most recent post was about Charleston during the Revolutionary War. Though no one commented. :Shrug:

I more or less exclusively use Wikimedia Commons because there's great 18th-century artwork for my blog. And it's all pretty clearly marked as being in the public domain because of age. Photos of older works (statues, architecture) can be copyrighted by the photographer, I believe, but that's not generally a problem. I've also used some of my own photographs.

I don't often get comments, either. Hasn't stopped me yet!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hmm... Do you think I would get in trouble? They are past the 100 year mark. I think I'm more concerned on where I took them from...there may have been a few from the website that shows some of the Queen's collection.

FlapperPhilospher, what's the real issue at play in these matters? Can you cite your source and cover yourself or are you just making things worse? I have a lot of modern day photos I use to illustrate a point or in reference to a still living person. I'm officially getting freaked!

A lot of casual photo pilfering goes on around the 'net. I wouldn't get too freaked out, but it might be a good idea to go back and look at anything you question. For your own peace of mind, you can ask for permission or just use a different image. You really should ask permission AND attribute the image unless it's something in the public domain.

But don't worry too much. If anyone notices, the first thing they'll probably do is ask you to take it down. You probably aren't in danger of an imminent, massive lawsuit. (Not that I'm a lawyer!)

Last edited:

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of casual photo pilfering goes on around the 'net. I wouldn't get too freaked out, but it might be a good idea to go back and look at anything you question. For your own peace of mind, you ask for permission or just use a different image. You really should ask permission AND attribute the image unless it's something in the public domain.

But don't worry too much. If anyone notices, the first thing they'll probably do is ask you to take it down. You probably aren't in danger of an imminent, massive lawsuit. (Not that I'm a lawyer!)

OK, that makes me feel better. Lol.

I can start sourcing my stuff though. I was thinking that when I used the URL link to upload the photo, that it automatically took a person to the source if they clicked on it. But apparently not. I'm rectifying that as I speak!

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Hmm... Do you think I would get in trouble? They are past the 100 year mark. I think I'm more concerned on where I took them from...there may have been a few from the website that shows some of the Queen's collection.

FlapperPhilospher, what's the real issue at play in these matters? Can you cite your source and cover yourself or are you just making things worse? I have a lot of modern day photos I use to illustrate a point or in reference to a still living person. I'm officially getting freaked!

Aww, don't panic!!! The thing is, everyone SHOULD be very careful about copyright restriction and sourcing.... but most people aren't. And most copyright holders don't care. If they did, Pinterest would not exist, for one. There's this one fascinating site I follow called The Retronaut, which is all image content (and it is awesome, even non-history folks should check it out, it's fun)-- thousands of followers, mentioned in the Guardian and BBC and other outlets.... do they have the copyright or copyright permission for all of those? No. You can't even trace copyright on some, this site got them from another one that makes no mention of it. I don't know for sure but I'm fairly certain they're using images from the Nationanl Geographic archives without licensing them. Etc. I don't think that's okay, but my point is that it doesn't actually come up that often. Especially with older photos, when you (and even museums) can't trace the original makers.

It's the more recent stuff that you might get in trouble over. The best idea there is to stick to things that clearly state they may be freely used (usually with attribution). I don't have tons of experience with sources for these but know there's Wikimedia Commons and Flickr has a Creative Commons area as well.

The main issue really is that people forget that images are the work of other people. They have value. It's like someone posting the whole text of your novel on their website for free-- they make it clear they didn't write it, and in fact they're doing it because they love the work, but that's not okay, is it? As a professional photographer your livliehood rests on people paying money for your images. If people just take them, you can't make money as a photographer. That doesn't change just because images are easy to take these days.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use much past 1900 and credit most of the things that I use. Anything more recent has generally been taken by myself.

I did a post with all the Hampton Court and Windsor Beauties right at the start of my blogging career and found them very hard to find! Isn't it weird that they aren't all in the same place. I didn't worry too much though as the Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures used to be my tutor at university and he's given me informal permission to use their images. ;)

I *think* I have my own photos of them all now though so if you ever need them again let me know and I'll see what I can do. ;)

I'd more be worried about the Claire Danes in the most recent Marie Antoinette movie images. The big movie studios and the music labels are out for every sous they can get (even going as far as to take clips of music videos off youtube if they violate usage clauses). You can credit them, sure, but if they're not getting paid for them, they might take exception to that.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just want everyone to be careful, because I did read a facebook or twitter article recently about this happening to someone. I can't find the original article, which is why I posted that other link.

Thanks for the good sources, FP! I have a site called PennyPostcards that I like using for my old town views. They're so old they're public domain.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
My blog, Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite, is ostensibly about what goes into my art, but a good bit of it is history. I am really slow about updating it, though.

I have a review of the April 1952 issue of "Astounding Science Fiction," with historical notes, which I posted on the 60th anniversary of its hitting the newsstands. I'm waiting to do the same for the November 1952 issue.

I posted a fashion spread of 1918 Red Cross uniforms I found and scanned from a 1918 magazine, and my own sketches of Paul Poiret garments from a museum exhibit.

And I found a forgotten and uncredited Ludwig Bemelmans book.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Not Claire Danes, surely. It's Kirsten Dunst, isn't it?

I think the reason I haven't posted more is because I've been so nervous about posting images.

Are any of you frightened about being focused on by enforcement agencies or people representing people whose images these are? They're gorgeous. I know most before say, 1923 are okay to use, but some of the others, I'm seriously scared of being sued over. And I don't have the money to pay out in case I do get a cease and desist letter. I think that's why I've been very low key so far.

http://hankinslawrenceimages.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/fed-up-with-copyright-infringement/

I'm mostly very careful. I've always been rather confused by the way people tend to post images without a second thought, especially writers vocal about protecting their own copyright. I don't get it – why shouldn't others enjoy the protection I think I'm entitled to?

Please note that nothing of what I'm about to say constitutes legal advice of course, and you should consult a copyright attorney or similar etc etc.

But off the record:

You can either blog without pictures (it is possible, actually) or you can find pictures on the net that you are allowed to use. It's not impossible.

I try never to use modern photos I haven't take myself. I use old photos but usually only from sources I'm familiar with, such as Library of Congress, various archival/museal sources etc. (Flickr Commons always displays the terms very, very clearly so it's a good place to look). I almost never just pick even old photos off the net.

A lot of museums let you use their photos of their collection (of items I mean) if you credit them – usually they have a page where they explain how it should be done and how they want to be credited. I have used that for posts on fashion among other things, but for museums like V&A where I couldn't find any permission, I've only linked to the picture on the museum website instead of posting the picture (most American museums let you use them for your personal blog, and all European collections in the Europeana are OK with that as long as you source it - you can find info on the Europeana website).

One thing one needs to keep in mind is that copyright laws regarding photography differs across the globe. While according to American law a photography that simply faithfully reproduces an image (like a photo of a painting) doesn't gain any copyright of its own (hence, you are free to use photos of old paintings), this isn't true in all countries, most notably the UK (and Sweden, actually). Therefore, British museums claim copyright (and quite often forbids reproduction) for photos of their paintings on their website. You can see this mentioned on Wikipedia for such images. Wikipedia still considers they have the right to reproduce them under American law and so they do, but I'm not sure that I (being Swedish) or a Brit could get away with using those pictures. I try to avoid those where it might be an issue, but I think I might have skated on that at a few occasions. I suppose I counted on the NPG not coming after me with a blowtorch for using a picture from their collection as long as I do my best to credit them and make no money off it.

I have posted pictures of movie posters, books covers etc. for reviews and such, but I wouldn't post movie stills or something like that. I'm far too paranoid for that.

If I post a youtube video, I usually try to make sure that the uploader had the right to upload the material. You know; trailers posted by the studio, music videos by the band or label etc, or films people made themselves. I do sometimes err, but I certainly try.

ETA: The Graphics Fairy is a great source for imagery too – she scans out-of-copyright pictures and it's a good source for graphics. She asks you to limit the number of images you use on a single webpage (think it's 7, but I could be wrong), but there are lots and lots of useful goodies there.

I also take a lot of pictures myself. I actually tend to only write about places I've been too as I don't have pictures otherwise!

Last edited:

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Very good post, Flicka! I hadn't realized that American and British copyright law differs in relation to images of images, very good to know. I'm really glad we're having this dicussion, even if it's off-topic (and nothing at all to do with historical ficiton, really, haha). So many people just don't think about it-- I've had plently of university professors who would drop dead before using a quote without a citation, but don't blink at taking pictures off a Google image search for their websites and powerpoints. Sure, minor usages like that don't seem like a big deal, but cumulatively it devalues the work of the photographer, and that's not fair, whether nor not money is at stake.

I had a couple other things I was going to say, but I just had a three-hour lecture on historical photographic materials (when I say this is my field, I mean it :p) and my attention span is shot. I'm so pleased though to see how aware everyone is and is becoming! :)

And, back on topic, loving all the great stuff you guys have in your blogs!! :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Not Claire Danes, surely. It's Kirsten Dunst, isn't it?

Yes, and I posted in a hurry. My apologies, as their names begin with the same consonant sounds, so it's hard for me to keep them straight.

I'm glad everyone has made me more aware of sources to use for images. That gives me more options. I just want everyone else to be aware as well.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
An idea; how about we help each other out with pics? I have a Flickr with lots of pictures of historical buildings – help yourselves to them as long as you attribute me/no commercial use (but I don't care if you have ads on your blog; just don't use the pictures themselves for advertising or similar) etc. I mean to put up plenty more; I've just been lazy.

If anyone else has a similar stash, feel free to share them too! It could serve the double purpose of helping us find pictures and giving each other exposure. :)

MmeGuillotine

Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
Haha, typical that my blog has those pictures for THREE YEARS and no one says a word and then on the very day, I spend my afternoon WEEPING over my CSS style sheet to give it a whole fresh new look... ;)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
An idea; how about we help each other out with pics? I have a Flickr with lots of pictures of historical buildings – help yourselves to them as long as you attribute me/no commercial use (but I don't care if you have ads on your blog; just don't use the pictures themselves for advertising or similar) etc. I mean to put up plenty more; I've just been lazy.

If anyone else has a similar stash, feel free to share them too! It could serve the double purpose of helping us find pictures and giving each other exposure. :)

Gorgeous images, Flicka!

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk

MmeGuillotine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
The National Portrait Gallery only made the announcement about free low-res images a week or so ago. You still have to pay if you want to use the high-res stuff. :)

The low-res stuff is more than up to the job as far as blog posts are concerned. I've been updating all pictures I've had filed away since finishing my History of Art degree from their archives over the last few days. It's arduous but oddly satisfying. :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca

That's a great idea! And thanks for sharing your photographs, lovely!

I have heaps of my own photographs-- I don't have a ton on Flickr, and many are pretty arty, but this is my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/beyondthebarricade/ . I am happy for any AW'ers to use them in a personal blog, with some kind of attribution somewhere. I also have a lot that aren't online that I'd be happy to share if someone's looking for a pic of a place I've been-- I have lots of North Wales, London, Scotland (especially Edinburgh and the Islands), millions of Nova Scotia, lots of Canadian Rockies.... some are certainly better than others but I have a decent number of decent ones, so if you're looking for any of that stuff, just let me know!

I'm also happy to help anyone looking for historical photos of something-- I can't promise I can find it, especially if it's super detailed, but I probably have a good idea of where to look, at least! So just let me know if you ever want any help. :)

MmeGuillotine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
Actually that might be really helpful as I've just been commissioned by a publisher to write a 'guide to being a 1950's housewife'. I've been given a nice budget to pay for illustrations and have a research strategy in place but if I get stuck then I'll know where to come! :)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I have tons of historical crushes and I've started this rather flippant category on my blog called "historical hotties" for the long dead men of my heart. First out is a blogpost about the Chevalier de Saint-George which was inspired by a thread over in PoC where someone asked about hot historical PoC and I realised that very few people had heard of him (angeliz, you probably know all about him though) and he deserves some recognition. I mean, a fencer AND a musician? Who was clearly gorgeous? Still, my beating heart!

Anyway, full story here.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Hi again!

I've updated my thread recently with a bit about the grounding of paleontology in the 19th century (see my web site link in my sig). :)

And just as another comment on the issue of image use in blogs, it's worth reading Roni Loren's blog about her experience being sued: http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/...can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html

A bunch of you have offered some great options, but it's always important to either post your own images or make sure you have explicit permission to use someone else's. Linking to the original source isn't enough. And don't even get me started on sites like Pinterest and Tumblr...as an English teacher, I think they're a nightmare of copyright infringement.

MmeGuillotine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
Oh I love the Chevalier de Saint-George! My blog tends more towards 18th century women's history but he's on my list of top 18th century men. :)

I haven't been blogging much lately as I stupidly decided to celebrate my blog going past 1.5 million page views (woo!) by (finally!) moving to self hosting. It's been completely AWFUL and my husband has banned me from posting and replying to comments until it's all sorted. I have LOADS to talk about though! :(