Do you give honest bad reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the situation (purely theoretical, of course): You download a book from amazon because it sounds interesting, you start to read it, and you realize that there's no way you're going to be able to force yourself to plod through this thing. It's all tell, repetitive use of dialog tags, punctuation is wrong, paragraph breaks are in the wrong place, whatever else you want to imagine.

Do you:
1) Just move on
2) Give it a one-star and move on
3) Give it a one-star and try to come up with some platitudes or bare-bones statement that isn't too specific
4) Give it a one-star and try to write something that that will steer the writer to taking a course or something
5) Write a Jay-Sherman-esque flaying that will have the writer pull the book and never write again (note: I'm adding this one just for completeness. I don't think it's a serious alternative)

And for those who want to answer the bonus question: What do you think where there are a dozen or so 5-star reviews talking about how good the book is?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
1) Just move on. Just because I don't like a book doesn't mean others won't. It's probably not the fairest to readers, but it's fairest to the author.

But then, I don't get paid money for reviews. If I did, I would give it a one star and be honest.

Bonus question: If I only see five star reviews, I will discount them all, like an Olympic judge. Not everybody will like the same thing. See above. ;)

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I pick #1 and just move on. I rarely leave any reviews of books, and never bad ones. You never know who might decide to retaliate out of spite, or for that matter, who might be connected to whom. I imagine myself attracting the interest of an agent or editor...and then they Google around and find I trashed a book by one of their authors. Might kill my chances.

As for the 5-star reviews, you just don't know. Lots of times, they're from friends, family members, or other authors from the same publisher. But sometimes, they come from people who genuinely connected to something in the book despite whatever flaws it has.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely give 1 star reviews and I don't generally review novels that I don't finish. Most novels that I don't finish, I don't get far enough into to review, because if I get far enough, I'll finish to count it in my book-reading goals.

At the time of reviewing, I tend to be more generous than I might have felt when reading the book. I am pretty good about noting in reviews when things aren't working for me but might work for others. I'm also pretty good at recognizing when there was one or two specific things that dragged down my rating (like an atrocious cliff-hanger). If a book is a 2-star (or 1, I imagine), I'll probably review it, instead of just rating it, but most of my ratings/reviews are 3 or above, and my desire to review depends on how much I have to say. I just rated a book 4 stars and then wrote 2000 words on what was wrong with it, with a bit at the top and the bottom about why the rating was so high (I enjoyed it despite the problems, and that's what my rating is based on).

Bonus answer: I have given a book 2 stars and a long negative review when all the other reviews were glowing. On Amazon, mine is the only coherent negative review on that book, and yet it is always #1 or 2 on that Amazon page (depends on the day), so i know that people do read and appreciate it, even if it doesn't match the other reviews on there.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I think my last scathing review of an individual book was at least seven years ago, for a dragonshifter novel so bad I wanted to neuralyze away my memory of it.

Rating and reviewing bad books is not worth my time now, given the retaliatory and litigious bent of many new authors. If the book honestly rates a 1 or 2 star review on Amazon or GR, I simply move on without rating or reviewing it. I usually never even buy or borrow it - online sample texts will reveal all I need to know. I'll only review a book if I think it merits a 4 or 5 star review.

I will notice and skim 5 star reviews. The ones left by actually enthusiastic readers have a much different tone than the gushers left by friends/family/writers' group peeps.

I pay much more attention to 3 and 4 star reviews, because those seem to be the most thoughtful.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Reviews are meant to help people make smart buying decisions.

I do all my book reviews upon the idea of why or why not people should spend their money and time on it. If it's shit, I'll say why it's bad and warn others if they share my concerns that they shouldn't read it. If it's great, I'll say why that is.

I've given very few five-star glowing reviews, yet always with some caveats. I rated them five-stars because those books are worth every penny and second. I've given heavy one-star reviews before, not bashing the author or the book, but telling possible readers why they shouldn't waste their time and money--many of these were given to me by self-published writers, oddly from philosophical sections... I don't understand why.

When reading reviews: I tend to skip over "joke" reviews, reviews that open with summaries like "professional/expert" reviewers give, five star reviews that people are pretty much throwing up happiness and rainbows over the book, and one star reviews of bitching and complaining.

Bonus: It depends. Some elements can be polarizing, sometimes the genre can. I find that the more reviews, the less polarized (or more natural) the review community becomes in general.

Should clarify: I only review books that I have purchased or were given to review. I would not read a small sample, like a preview, not like it, and review it.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
If I intended to give a review at all, I would regardless of what I thought of the book. I guess I've never understood the "if you can't say something good..." philosophy. You're not writing a review for the author. And yes, someone else might like it, but others may dislike the same things you did, and you'd save them money and time.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only give reviews when I am in absolute love OR hate with the book. Bad writing doesn't make me passionately hate the book. A shitty plot, or an indulgent one where the author is obviously in love with his own writing and/or character, yes. In that case, I would write a negative review, but I draw the line at trying to teach the author how to write as well as personal attacks at the author. What do I care whether the author takes a writing course? There are so many good books out there waiting to be read, if a few authors turn out to be terrible writers, it's really not a great loss to me. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a lot of years since I wrote reviews, but, no, I never write terrible reviews. What's the point? Beside, I really could. If a book was bad enough to rate a horrible review, I guarantee I stopped reading long before I reached the end.

I wanted to tell readers where they could find books they would love to read, not where they could find bad books they didn't want to read.

Reading horrible novels, and taking time to write reviews for those books, is a complete waste of life.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd give an honest review stating that my main objections are not related to the plot but the utter lack of editing...

:DThough I might be a bit biased.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I intended to give a review at all, I would regardless of what I thought of the book. I guess I've never understood the "if you can't say something good..." philosophy. You're not writing a review for the author. And yes, someone else might like it, but others may dislike the same things you did, and you'd save them money and time.

"If you can't say something good" was never teh point, for me. The point is why waste time reading a book you hate, and then waste more time writing a review of a book you hate? For me, life is far too short too spend a minute of it reading a book I don't like, or writing a review about a book I don't like.

The truth is also that bad reviews are meaningless. They don't do any good, they don't even really make anyone not buy the book.

Good reviews do help people, and also mean you don't have to spend a minute reading a book you hate.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I review pretty much every novel I read on Goodreads, mainly so I can keep track of how many books I've gotten to every year. Those are all honest reviews, so yes, some of them have been ranty-rant bad reviews of the book.

None of your listed options really apply, because all of them work on the assumption that the review is there for the author's sake.

I do not give one single bolus of excrement whether the author reads my review. I wrote it primarily for myself and secondarily for other people who might be thinking of reading the book too.

As far as I'm concerned, the writer is foolish to go looking at reviews. There be dragons subjective opinions. Some of it is gonna sting.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
"If you can't say something good" was never teh point, for me. The point is why waste time reading a book you hate, and then waste more time writing a review of a book you hate? For me, life is far too short too spend a minute of it reading a book I don't like, or writing a review about a book I don't like.

Some of us like reviewing, though.

The truth is also that bad reviews are meaningless. They don't do any good, they don't even really make anyone not buy the book.

Oh, I know for a fact my reviews have caused some people not to buy a book.

Not a lot - I'm sure I have never had any impact on a book's overall sales (nor is that my intention), but a lot of people do read reviews when deciding whether or not they want to read a book.

Good reviews do help people, and also mean you don't have to spend a minute reading a book you hate.

I'm a stubborn finish-what-I-started reader. It's very rare that I dnf a book, and if I do, I note that in my review.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If I don't finish a book, I don't review it, period.

If I do finish, it's fair game. A review is supposed to be an honest reaction to a story. If my honest reaction is that I didn't enjoy it, I don't see why I should be intimidated from sharing that... especially as I myself read reviews, top and bottom, to help me make reading choices. If you only ever see happy-good-lovey reviews, you're getting a skewed perspective.

When I post a review, to my site or (sometimes) Amazon or elsewhere, I give a rating, and I try to explain what I thought of the book and how I arrived at that rating. And, yes, editing/proofreading (or rather lack thereof) can affect the rating - though poor editing is, in my experience, often indicative of poor writing in general. I'm reading one right now - which got pretty good reviews on Amazon, BTW - that has my inner editor curled in a fetal position, among other issues... (Kinda committed to finishing at this point, unfortunately. Once I post it on my blog, I feel an obligation to myself.)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score

James, I have to question what you mean. Perhaps this is due to the confusing wording of the thread, as "bad" should mean "negative".

Surely, negative (one-star) reviews are meaningful as they can alert consumers that the product is not to their liking or faulty. I can't see how "positive" reviews would alert others to this.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score

I would definitely review a book that was so bad I couldn't finish it. I would say that I couldn't finish it and why. That, to me, would be the most useful review to read. Frankly, writing a review of any sort could be seen as a waste of time, but if you've spent time reading and are the sort to write a review, why shouldn't other readers know if you didn't like a book as much as if you did?

Personally, I think reading reviews is a waste of time. I just want a summary so I know if it's even a book I'd be interested in. Who cares what a perfect stranger thinks of it?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I admit I have left brutally honest reviews, before. If I'm spending my hard-earned food money on a book, it better damn well not be full of punctuation errors, and amateurish writing. That said, I won't buy a book if I can't download the first few chapters free.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Disagree. I, and other people I know, have chosen not to buy books plenty of times precisely because of bad reviews, so speak for yourself.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
5) Write a Jay-Sherman-esque flaying that will have the writer pull the book and never write again (note: I'm adding this one just for completeness. I don't think it's a serious alternative)

I usually do this, though I don't really attack the author - I do shamelessly butcher the work. If I sincerely feel it sucks, I say so. I'm not the "Bless your soul" kind of person who smiles and walks away, much less if I paid for it.

I recently read "Sweet Jealousy", a free "erotic" novel which came in parts. Sice I had read the first 80 or so pages of "50 Shades of Bleh", I knew this was a way too blunt attempt to share in the latter's success. While I'm also trying to write something on that bandwagon for a quick buck, it's NOT, unlike SJ, about an insecure office/agency chick with a female roomie, getting abused, errr seduced by her sexy, enigmatic boss. While it was free, I refuse to just look the other way at so much blatant copycatting, executed even shittier than the original.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Although I think I've only on a few occasions given 1 or 2* reviews, the same for 5*, my average rating is probably about 3*. I review books on Amazon to help other people to decide whether or not to buy a book. If people only ever reviewed books at 4-5* what would be the point of Amazon's rating system?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I wouldn't give the very low rating is if it's some tiny deal that looks like someone's big dream, such as if the only other review is from their mom or something. I wouldn't feel good about that so probably just wouldn't rate/review it at all.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't review books on Amazon because Amazon has a thing about people reviewing in the same genres as they write. But elsewhere, it depends on the book. Sometimes I write a review. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes it'll have details about why I hated the book. Sometimes it'll be short. There's not a single answer really.

I don't usually reference other reviews in my review, because I'm not reviewing the reviews.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Reviews are helpful. I rely on them. Often there isn't much more to go on. So keep them coming and be brutally honest. Save that flattery for your swain or lass.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Like Polenth, I'm annoyed that Amazon doesn't think I can be an impartial judge of *my own genre*, which I've read for nearly four decades. So I no longer review directly on Amazon. I might write Goodreads reviews. Longer reviews go on my blog, which is linked to Amazon, Goodreads, and my Tumblr account.

Still, I rarely waste my time in a negative review, unless it's part of a longer 'case study' comparing or contrasting other works.

Status
Not open for further replies.