Do you use drugs when you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to say no, I've never touched drugs, but I think it's possible I am addicted to sugar.

My early-morning writing sessions in Starbucks before work are accompanied by a muffin or something even more sugary like a cinnamon bun, and a soya latte with sugar in.

I am generally quite productive at that time in the morning, and I think the sugar kick-starts my brain.

I don't drink coffee at any other time. In fact I don't actually like anyone else's coffee - only Starbucks.

I am, however, a big tea drinker. I will get through five or six cups in the average working day. And one sugar in each one. For a while I tried to switch to sweetener, but that's no better for you than sugar is so I switched back. At least sugar is less carcinogenic. I can't drink tea without sugar in.

I also like the odd glass of wine. But I don't write under the influence of it. I feel it dulls my brain, and what I write won't be any good.

This is an interesting thread, though. There are several writers in history who have used some form of addictive substance to write, and confess to being at the point, at some stage, where they feel they can't write without being under the influence of their drug of choice.

Are writers more likely to have addictive personalities than non-writers?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I used to drink far too much coffee that was good for me, but have now cut down and most days don't have any after mid-afternoon. I can also drink tea, but prefer coffee.

My only other substance usage is alcohol, but that's when I'm in pub. I may have wine now and again when I feel like it. And I've established a tradition of having a small glass of something - originally Hungarian pálinka (schnapps), more recently Polish Żubrówka (bisongrass vodka) - when I finish a first draft.

I've never smoked in my life, but the odd thing is, I notice an awful lot of my characters are smokers.

As to whether it affects my writing one way or another, no I don't think it does.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
A nice cup of black tea. I find it helps with concentration. Or I imagine it does anyway.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I can't write drunk. In fact, I can't actually get drunk. I can get asleep, but not drunk.

That said, a whiskey for company while I'm writing has never been anything but pleasant.

Tried writing once when I'd taken a Percoset. That went nowhere. I think I spent those warm, fuzzy hours chatting with you lovely people here on AW.

Oh, and I do drink coffee.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
and occasionally put a bit of Jameson or spiced rum in my coffee.

*looks at coffee* brb, going to the liquor store.

Because caffiene from coffee does nothing for me. I just like drinking coffee.

If I drink too much alcohol, I get happy (or mean, depending on the alcohol) and then sleepy.

May your supply of gulper eel skins be ever abundant.

Best. Blessing. Ever.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I am addicted to caffeine. I'm not afraid to admit it. If I don't get my morning coffee, then by noon, I'm dealing with a headache and nausea that no amount of Advil will correct.

I'm also overly-sensitive to caffeine. If I have more than that one cup of coffee, I get all jittery and sick. If I have caffeine after 2:00pm, I won't be able to get to sleep.

It's a delicate balance.

Other than my morning coffee, which has generally worn off by the time I start writing, usually 3:00 in the afternoon, and the occasional Advil for head or back aches, I don't get high on anything but music while I write.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Only caffeine these days, although I do use experiences from my much younger days in my fiction - the mushrooms were especially interesting for some of the more cosmic ideas...

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
4 cups of coffee in the morning, 3 in the afternoon.

Can't write drunk. MJ's good for ideas, but that's about it.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I have a glass of wine or beer when I'm writing sometimes.

Honestly, though, the drug of choice is sugar. Snowballs, to be precise - you know those chocolate coated coconut marshmallow things? I try not to have them very often, otherwise I'd be the size of a hippo, but when I'm really, truly stuck at writing I use them as bribes. "Okay, self, another 250 words and you can have a snowball".

Sadly, it works.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Are writers more likely to have addictive personalities than non-writers?

"Addictive personalities" is kinda devoid of meaning stated like this.

I would rephrase that into: "Are writers prone to use, and even become dependent on, substances or practices that suppress anxiety and/or give a feeling of confidence and/or kickstart a flight of ideas?"

"the mushrooms were especially interesting for some of the more cosmic ideas... "
+ 1000 These days there's an online experience repository which is a gold mine. https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml
Read, modify for fiction, thank in afterword, donate.

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'm probably the most boring person here. No coffee, no tea, no alcohol, no smoking, no marijuana, no illegal substances, not even any painkillers even though I'm in chronic pain (painkillers don't work on me, so no point). No recreational drugs or substances of any kind.

The closest I get is chocolate, and I'm not sure that that will even be a part of my life anymore - I'm in the process of determining if I'm allergic to chocolate or not. So I suppose the closest I get now is vanilla ice cream.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Caffeine, yes.

I've never been someone who wants to get lost in drug-addled crap that I vomit on a page and call, "brilliant." Then again, I got most illegal drugs and alcohol out of my system in my early 20's and am not giving many effs about that stuff at this point in my life.

Caffeine, though. Yes, precious. Yes.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I tried to write when I took LSD, but for some reason my hand wouldn't move. I seem to remember my whole body getting really annoyed with my right hand. Then when I actually managed to write a few sentences, I read them back and realised I had skipped every second word. Then I gave up and stood on a chair in my backyard with my head in a tree.

The moral to the story? Drugs are great.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I take prescription stimulants for my ADD, and those are definitely helpful for writing. I'm also a terrible caffeine and nicotine addict, both of which also help with energy and focus.

I love alcohol, but sadly have found that it doesn't mix well with writing. It makes focusing so hard I usually give up and go watch TV while eating terribly fattening snacks. *sigh*

ETA: I did the whole illegal drug thing as a teenager, but can't say there are any I particularly want to do again or think would help with my creativity. Everything either made me paranoid or happy to lie there looking at the pretty colors, neither of which is conducive to productivity.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Before you say no, remember legal drugs count. Where I live that includes marijuana, but no, no I don't. I'm a casual caffeine user, not an addict like most of you, but I was about to pick up a Coke, and I stopped myself. I was afraid it would make my voice all frantic and hyperactive. Of course, being only an occasional user, it affects me more, so maybe you guys can handle it.
Nope. I don't think caffeine-free Diet Pepsi counts.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Haven't smoked dope in years. I found it rather demotivating, actually. I was the kind of "stoned person" who would just sort of lose track of time and think about what I wanted to do but never get off my butt to do it. Fortunately, I was never more than a very occasional, "take a couple of hits at a party" kind of user.

I was on and SSRI drug (prozac) off and on for a few years when I was battling depression. It didn't alter my thought processes, exactly, but it made me more emotionally resilient, and it helped with my overall energy level. I was still able to think, write and work when taking it. Actually, one aspect of depression for me is demotivation and being tired all the time, along with being too self-critical, so anti-depressants helped there. Depressed, nothing I write or create is anything but complete and utter crap to be tossed in the fire.

I'm not sure I'd have been able to finish grad school without the SSRI and the therapy I got.

These days, I have a strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning, and an occasional hot tea or soda later in the day. And now and again (no more than 1x a week) I'll have a beer or glass of wine. I don't think one drink has much effect on my writing (though I've never done a controlled experiment to test this). More than one does, however. Makes me fuzzy headed.

All of these drugs and medications are mind altering to varying degrees, but I don't think my use has tended to cross the line into what most people would call foolish. But medications and recreational substances are things that some people have strong feelings about. There are people who refuse to take ibuprofin or tylenol when they have a fever or a headache because they believe that they should be able to control the pain or discomfort themselves, or that experiencing it helps them grow in some way. I personally would rather take the drug (as directed) and feel better so I can get on writing pain free. But I'd be worried if I were regularly using a recreational drug or substance to motivate myself to write (as opposed to treating a symptom that was interfering with normal functioning).

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny, I just saw a documentary on Kerouac and Leary in the 60's. I remember thinking: Wow, sloppy. Just so uninspiring. I know their work is regarded well, but meh . . . I just can't see the appeal.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Leary as such is an idea generator, but the structure for those ideas needs to come from some second person who can actually...structure. Like Robert Anton Wilson. A book by this team can open floodgates if the timing is right.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably the most boring person here. No coffee, no tea, no alcohol, no smoking, no marijuana, no illegal substances, not even any painkillers even though I'm in chronic pain (painkillers don't work on me, so no point). No recreational drugs or substances of any kind.

The closest I get is chocolate, and I'm not sure that that will even be a part of my life anymore - I'm in the process of determining if I'm allergic to chocolate or not. So I suppose the closest I get now is vanilla ice cream.

Aha! SUGAR! :yessmileyU R soooooo busted!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Caffeine and maybe some painkillers when my back is playing up. Otherwise, nope. I won't even go on the PC if I've had a few drinks. I always fear I'll wake up the next morning next to the Yahoo toolbar and never ever be able to get rid of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.