What on earth have I written?!

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
I need help! I don't know what genre my manuscript falls into, other than young adult (which is more of an age group than a genre).

Is it bad if I just call it a YA novel and let the agent decide what genre it is best suited to? Or will they look at that and go 'well if you can't work it out why should I bother?'

I had thought it was sci-fi, but after posting the query in QLH I've realised that it's not really very sci-fi-ish at all. There are elements of sci-fi, but I'm not convinced that it a science fiction novel. Which leaves me thinking... What the heck have I written?? ARGH! Can I just call it Bob? I mean, young adult fiction?

Any suggestions or advice would be HUGELY appreciated. If you want to get a feel for what the story is about, you can find the wretched query here.

Thank you!

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto heyjude. YA is as specific as you need to be while querying. There are plenty of things to stress about during the query process, but this isn't one of them. :)

KillingAurora

...with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto heyjude. YA is as specific as you need to be while querying. There are plenty of things to stress about during the query process, but this isn't one of them. :)

Second favourite person right now :D

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Curses, I hate coming in second place!

Good luck to you. :)

Belld

Wont give up!
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to third that. Stating it as YA is better than calling it one thing and then the agent looks at your query, scratching their head and goes "But it doesn't sound like a sci-fi novel."

LHughes

Registered
Reaction score
Killing Aurora, your post made me laugh. :)

I read your query and commented there, but if you haven't read it, I'll repost my answer here (in case the genre is still an issue).

Based on your description of your novel, I think you can call it YA Thriller or YA Mystery (if the story focuses on who killed her mother and why). That's how it read to me.

Good luck!

Sol Quince

Don't mind me.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same problem. I thought I wrote a SF (maybe I did) but it's more like a YA. I just hope when someone else I know reads it they can figure out what genre it falls into.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the others, just call it YA. A friend had a similiar problem as his YA book had some sci-fi elements, but it didn't come across that way at all in his query letter, which just led to confusion.

Sounds interesting though. Like the three heartbeats thing. Good luck.

Troyen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad I am not the only one who doen't know what genre their book falls into. I have the same trouble. I posted my question already, but maybe I put it in the wrong place or something because I have not gotten a single response. Since there are people responding to this one (thank you killingaurora) I will give it a try here. Sorry to interupt, Killingaurora, I know nothing about YA books. If I did, I would give an opinion. But I hope those who helped you might also be able to help me. My book is a dramatic story about the MC healing from the wounds of an abusive childhood, while helping a young girl to deal with her own abusive past. The best example I can think of is that it might be a bit like a Pat Conroy novel. Please help!!!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Troyen, without knowing more this is just a guess, but I'd try calling it contemporary. Or women's fiction, if that fits?

Troyen

Registered
Reaction score
Troyen, without knowing more this is just a guess, but I'd try calling it contemporary. Or women's fiction, if that fits?

Thanks so much for the advise! contemporary is just so broad that I wanted to know if it could fit into a more specific group. I have considered women's fiction, but I am not sure that it fit since it deals with issues that could just as easily affect a man with an abusive childhood (for the most part anyway).

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Don't overthink. Really. :) If the agent you like likes contemporary, it's contemporary. If s/he likes women's, it's women's. Easy peasy. Seriously, genres can be fluid and the lines blur easily. One person calls my stuff noir, another thriller. :Shrug:

Troyen

Registered
Reaction score
Don't overthink. Really. :) If the agent you like likes contemporary, it's contemporary. If s/he likes women's, it's women's. Easy peasy. Seriously, genres can be fluid and the lines blur easily. One person calls my stuff noir, another thriller. :Shrug:

Ok. Thanks so much. I haven't yet tried to find an agent and the whole process is overwhelming to me. I want so bad to do it all right that I am probably overthinking a lot of things. Any advice on the word count thing? I am worried mine is too long and don't know how to cut a lot out. Is it possible to sell a novel as a first timer when it is over 123,000 words?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow! That's a LOT of words! Yep, that's going to make it very, very hard, especially in your genre. I'd knock it down below 100K. Deep breath. I know this sounds ridiculously hard. But you can do it! And it will give you your best chance.

Troyen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Yes, I am wordy I guess. And now I find out that is bad just when I thought most of the work was done!!