What do you see too much of?

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
What type of stories are flooding the query folders these days? What do you see too much of, and would like everyone to stop sending you "that" plot, "that" character again?

Is there something not enough of?

I'm particularly interested in answers related to MG/YA market, but I'm sure everyone else will enjoy reading answers that apply to their writing as well.

Thanks!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Hey! Bukarella.

Unfortunately agents only hang out here everyonce in a while. The people who answer a majority of the questions are long time writers. Agents do pop in to answer questions but only out of the blue for the most part.

To answer what I know about your question, it seems that agents are looking for more MG right now. And they are overwhelmed with YA paranormal.

The best way to keep track of those types of things are follow agent blogs and on twitter. They often give hints about what they want (If not a full on post THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE!). Sometimes on Twitter they have #askagent in which agents will pop in to answer questions by writers who use that hashtag.

Disclaimer: Just remember they are people too, people who you want to work with professionally one day. So be polite and professional and don't bombard them.

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
From what I gather from comments other writers and I have seen/heard from agents:

1) Cancer storylines
2) Dystopia unless it has a strong sci-fi hook
3) Paranormal
4) Vampire, werewolf, angel, demon, guardian, and reaper storylines

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Dystopians for sure. I don't even really know what this is. But a writer I follow posted on her blog after a writer's conference about this and she said every single agent is getting a lot of dystopians.

And I heard there are a lot of cancer stories flooding the market and stories about angels parading around on earth, as well.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I gather from comments other writers and I have seen/heard from agents:

1) Cancer storylines
2) Dystopia unless it has a strong sci-fi hook
3) Paranormal
4) Vampire, werewolf, angel, demon, guardian, and reaper storylines

So, Bella getting cancer and being taken by guardian angels, along with Edward, to Panem is likely out, huh? :)

As for what agents are looking for, they're all different. But all are looking for something publishable and marketable. Whatever you write, there may be a market, and an agent, for it. But some topics will limit you.

A good general rule is that whatever you see frequently on TV or at the movies is usually over done.

Jeff

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
I figured so much about vampires and dystopian novels, but the cancer story lines are new to me.
Thanks for the links!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Awesome post. Crappy thing is, I feel like my manuscript would've worked for her on a bunch of levels... but she rejected my query this week :(

In fairness, I reject most things. That doesn't mean they aren't good, or interesting, or whatever. Just that I, personally, don't love it enough to push everything else aside for it.

I get hundreds of queries a month and take on... maybe 5 a year. So, you know. It can't just be "good", it has to really really resonate with me like on a cellular level.

(If you really want to know why I rejected yours in particular I can tell you - but I don't know that that would actually be helpful. Since the things that I responded negatively to are not things you can fix without basically just writing a different book!)

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
So, Bella getting cancer and being taken by guardian angels, along with Edward, to Panem is likely out, huh? :)

As for what agents are looking for, they're all different. But all are looking for something publishable and marketable. Whatever you write, there may be a market, and an agent, for it. But some topics will limit you.

A good general rule is that whatever you see frequently on TV or at the movies is usually over done.

Jeff

HAHA - PERFECT!!!:)

I am an avid GoodRead hangouter (though mostly YA stuff) and it's still mostly paranormal romance stuff people are talking about - it's amazing. I think vampires is starting to finally die down...some, but paranormal has so many aspects to it, people are trying to see what they can come up with.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am an avid GoodRead hangouter (though mostly YA stuff) and it's still mostly paranormal romance stuff people are talking about - it's amazing. I think vampires is starting to finally die down...some, but paranormal has so many aspects to it, people are trying to see what they can come up with.

There's a big difference, though, between what people are reading and talking about now and what agents are sick of seeing. If I remember my research right, it takes an average of 18 months to go from a publishing deal to that book being released. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lots of agents have their wish lists on their blogs or websites. (Like Mary Kole's is on the side of her blog: http://kidlit.com/) Also a lot mention things on twitter. A few yesterday were mentioning that they wanted scary/horror.

I've read a few times that agents are getting a lot of mythology stories and fairytale retellings.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter, Twitter, T-W-I-T-T-E-R. Follow all the agents you're interested in on Twitter. You'll get daily updates on what they're seeing and what they like/don't like about it.

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, Twitter. Just tonight, from Brittany Howard at Corvisiero:

"What I'm seeing a lot of in queries: Paranormal w/ Gods and Elementals, Shape shifters, High Fantasy, Abused Teens"

Then "I'd love to see more: Contemp Romance (Adult & YA), Funny Girl YA regardless of subgenre, I want a MC who makes me laugh"

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Jumping on the twitter band wagon. Adrien Luc Sanders @smoulderingsea has awesome #editortips that I've found very useful.

And I've had feedback that the urban fantasy market is glutted.