Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I have no idea, but I've had similar happening with me. I wanted a book I self-pubbed removed from Amazon and they wouldn't because someone was selling a used copy for hundreds of pounds and said they couldn't remove it while it was still being sold! Well, who's going to buy that?! And I have no idea who was selling it or how they even had a copy. So I wonder if it's just a store listing it for a reason I don't understand.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
People offer books for sale without necessarily having those books in their possession. They assume that if they get an order, they'll be able to get hold of those books without too much trouble.

As for the books offered for sale at high prices: well, that's just people hoping that someone will come along and be willing to pay those high prices. It doesn't mean they're expecting to sell them at those high prices. It's a gamble, that's all.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
People offer books for sale without necessarily having those books in their possession.

That is correct. If you look at the number of books they have , it will be a very large number . You don' t pay to list books on Amazon , you only pay a fee on sold items . So , by using the right software , you can list every book on Amazon . Add your Fee plus a bit of profit and very now and again , you will make a sale. You buy the book and send it on.

Last edited:

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
The first day my book showed up on Amazon, there were several "lower" priced versions, new, available.

I went through the order process for one of them only to find that shipping was more than twice what it should have been.

Explains where they make their profit...

They buy full price from CreateSpace, then add $16 in shipping which makes up for the $2.25 discount and then some.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
People offer books for sale without necessarily having those books in their possession. They assume that if they get an order, they'll be able to get hold of those books without too much trouble.

As for the books offered for sale at high prices: well, that's just people hoping that someone will come along and be willing to pay those high prices. It doesn't mean they're expecting to sell them at those high prices. It's a gamble, that's all.

Yes, but it's annoying because it means somebody's selling a book that I've written, that they don't actually have, that isn't in print any more, at a price that nobody would pay even if it was in print, and because of this, it won't be removed from Amazon.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Why does it matter if it's removed from Amazon or not? It's no longer available as you say, so it should not be able to be ordered "new" - only from the reseller trying to make a fortune off a book that doesn't actually exist....

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but it's annoying because it means somebody's selling a book that I've written, that they don't actually have, that isn't in print any more, at a price that nobody would pay even if it was in print, and because of this, it won't be removed from Amazon.

Even if no one were selling it, Amazon would still not remove the book from its listings. They leave books up because someone might come along with a copy to sell at some point; and because it keeps their listings complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.