Cost of printed copies? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just starting to research self-pub, and am looking at hardcopies. I went through the pricing page on createspace, and it gives me a (small) royalty for a selling price of $8.95 . But when I work through the pricing on lulu, it wants $12.05 from me to print the same book.

Now, there's a lot of sloppiness in the comparison, of course. For starters, one is quoting in US$, the other in Cdn$. But still, the createspace cost of printing must be somewhere around half of the lulu cost.

Am I missing something, or is this just a product of different business models? Or is there an "Oh, by the way..." in there somewhere?

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Createspace is hands down the cheapest POD printer I've ever found. There might be comparable ones out there, but when I self-published a graphic novel a couple of years ago, it was the cheapest one I found by a long shot. I suspect that Amazon does it the same way they manage to undercut prices on everything else: some combination of using their profitable sectors to underwrite the unprofitable ones, and selling their souls to the dark powers. :D

But every company you try is going to be a little bit different -- it's not one of those things where there's standard pricing across the board. Lulu was one of the more expensive ones I priced, presumably for the reason veinglory cites.

jmichaelfavreau

Smells like bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Createspace is the way to go. They are owned by Amazon and Amazon is a monopoly in everything but name and therefore can afford to have the lowest costs.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ppl. At the moment, I'm looking at draft2digital for non-amazon distribution, amazon for (wait for it) amazon distribution, and createspace for hardcopy.

No real gotcha's so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.