Self-publishing an enhanced ebook version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the title says it all, I guess. :)

It's a How-To book with 200+ photos, first published in 2006. The print edition usually sells 100 – 200 copies per month and does have around 100 reviews on Amazon.

I'm quite happy that I finally had the chance to add a lot of content (based on feedback I got via the website and, of course, personal preference) and could also address some environmental protection related concerns. I think it has become a much stronger book now.

I guess if it sells enough copies, the publisher might consider updating the print edition. When contacted beforehand, there wasn't too much interest - they didn't even bother to take a look.

Anyway, the ebook is up now, but isn't linked to the print edition. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lilly

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
My first update isn't a good one.
By chance I just found out, that the ebook (although with no additional content) is already available on Kobo and iTunes :Wha:.

I have no idea who is behind that - yes, there's the name of my publisher, but they certainly wouldn't do that without a proper contract and/or without telling me? So, I asked them for clarification.

I'll keep you posted.

Lilly

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My first update isn't a good one.
By chance I just found out, that the ebook (although with no additional content) is already available on Kobo and iTunes :Wha:.

I have no idea who is behind that - yes, there's the name of my publisher, but they certainly wouldn't do that without a proper contract and/or without telling me? So, I asked them for clarification.

They might well have just assumed they had the rights to do this--and it's well worth you checking your contract with them to make sure that you're clear on where they, and you, stand.

I've seen several publishers, good and bad, big and small, produce digital editions of books under contract to them when they didn't have the rights to do so. But I've seen more writers assume they hadn't signed those rights over when it was clear from the contract that they did.

Be careful. Take advice.

(Who published the print edition of the book, by the way?)

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Old Hack.

Before starting this project, I checked and double-checked my contract. Beside putting out a print edition they can use excerpts for promotional purpose. They even acknowledged that they don’t have any ebook rights during a brief phone call a few weeks ago. But of course I could still be wrong, that’s why I’d rather not post their name on a public forum.

My ebook isn’t yet linked to the print edition, so I contacted KDP-support today. Looks like this isn’t going to be much fun.

Lilly

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Did you use Smashwords to produce or distribute the ebook?

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
12 copies sold, things are looking a bit better :)
Yesterday a lawyer confirmed my understanding of the contract, so I wrote another mail to my publisher.
As soon as “the other” ebook is taken down, I’ll try distributing to iTunes and Kobo. But - first I want to win NaNoWriMo!

Lilly

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
During the first 30 days, 80 copies sold. The price is set at 9.90 Euros, less than half the cost of the print edition.
It’s also available on iTunes now, but there have been almost no sales.
So far, there is no review especially for the ebook, I guess I need to be patient. :)

Lilly

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
December sales:
Amazon: 86
iTunes: 9

January sales:
Amazon: 84
iTunes: 10

Yesterday, I published to Tolino and a few others (via Narcissus.me)

In 2013 (I just got paid for 2013 last December), the print edition of the book sold on average 275 copies/month, which didn’t do much for me money wise. Currently, one ebook earns as much as 6 – 7 print books.

Guess I should write another How-To book.

Lilly

Status
Not open for further replies.