laptop recommendations

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to take the millennial plunge and get a laptop as opposed to the pc I'm used to. It took one sticky keyboard too many, since my 9yo uses the same pc, for me to say, I've had it. Now I want my own little gizmo, so I can sit in a quiet place and type. I've got a kindle, but a virtual keyboard just isn't the same.
My question to the great and powerful AW is, what CHEAP laptop would you recommend? When I say CHEAP, I mean, less than $500.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had 4 work Dell laptops over the past 15 years and never any hardware problem. I currently have a personal Dell laptop, and again, no problems with hardware.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've only used 2 laptops, but my Asus has been a great machine. It would be old and outdated by now (say, 4 years old?) so you probably couldn't get the exact same model...

But Asus is a trusted brand, and I can recommend them. Not sure about pricing... (I'm in Australia, where a "cheap" laptop is usually $600+...)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
For simple writing, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers of laptops. HP, Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Samsung.

Samsung tends to run pricey. HP and Lenovo behind that.

But I'll also remind you that iPads will work with bluetooth keyboards. And now that MS Office will run on the iPad...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any requirements? Windows? Large screen?

$500 is in the meh~ area--where there's no great laptops breaking from the pack. They're all pretty bad, and pretty good at the same time. I run one for my mobile platform.

If you don't need Windows (as in, you can use Google docs in place of Word), I recommend a Chrombook. Something like the HP Chromebook 14.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever I get, it does have to be capable of playing my hubby's war games. I'd prefer to go tablet route with attachable keyboard because I lurve my touch screen kindle so much. And they are so light weight. But. Tablets don't have disc drives for cds. Damn marriage and compromises. Bleh. I don't get to spend all our money on a toy for just me. It's not fair. [Pouty face, foot stomp]

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever I get, it does have to be capable of playing my hubby's war games. I'd prefer to go tablet route with attachable keyboard because I lurve my touch screen kindle so much. And they are so light weight. But. Tablets don't have disc drives for cds. Damn marriage and compromises. Bleh. I don't get to spend all our money on a toy for just me. It's not fair. [Pouty face, foot stomp]

Playing games on a laptop under $500 isn't that viable--depending on the games, some older ones will do just fine, newer ones will have problems.
He could make due with a laptop that has a AMD APU, like this (it's a link, click it) It's got a 17" screen, so fair warning that it'll be cumbersome to haul around everywhere. Scratch that, this looks more promising (click it). This would be a bit faster for games, a 15.6inch screen (decent enough to carry), and running Windows 8.1.
I know some kids who play rather demanding games on APUs and do decently well--not as good as a gaming desktop.

You can go for a laptop without a CD-drive if you just snag a USB CD drive--I don't know of any that work with tablets at all.

Last edited:

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
I have a sample size of exactly one, but I've had good luck with my "scratch and dent" Dell. I bought a slightly more pricey machine (mine came in a little over $700), but that was after a 30% off coupon they had up on the site. The major manufacturers (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) all have online outlet stores that you can shop for refurbished laptops. Some promise to be in near-pristine condition, but mine had a tiny scratch on the lid. I am not at all bothered.

After the coupon I used, I got my computer for about half the price of buying new, which can be a big chunk of change when you're talking about something as expensive as a laptop.

Usually the computers you can buy there are going to be slightly older models, but you can definitely save a lot of money if budget is a priority (and IDK what kinds of games your husband plays, but most of them are a lot less frustrating with a dedicated graphics chip, and at full price you're probably not going to get that for $500).

It's just something to think about--like I said, I have the smallest possible sample size, so there might be a bunch of potential problems I don't know about.

Good luck with your purchase!

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
He gets the sticky keyed desktop. He's happy there.
After the input from you guys, and weighing what I wanted, more than what hubby wanted, (It's MY birthday gift, Dammit.) I decided smaller with no optic drive was my preference. Hubby wanted to continue to play his technologically ancient game on our vacation. He makes such a big deal about it. Sheesh. He really only needed a radeon 8180 g card, usb 2 ports, and email capabilities. Easy enough.
Found an hp touchsmart for under 300 which means I can comfortably add on extra insurance (2 yrs as opposed to 1), and a case, and possibly a portable optic drive, and still be under budget.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Hmmph. I play a technologically-ancient game, now 21 years old... in fact my fastest complete computer (as opposed to still being a pile of parts or in some state of half-salvaged) is dedicated to that. Cuz it has ISA slots and can still do sound in DOS. You get stickum on my keyboard and I'll feed you to the cyberdemons. :evil

External optical drives -- DVD are fairly cheap, Blu-Ray not atrocious. Frex:
http://www.directron.com/externaloptica.html
(I've done business with this outfit a couple times, no problems)
Given a choice, or if I'm paying money for it, I always go with a Lite-On (most durable, fewest issues), but they don't make many externals. My next choice would probably be Acer. Not LG if I can avoid it. Still:
http://www.directron.com/euau108.html

Oh, and happy birthday :D

Brian Cull

Still nailing words together
Registered
Reaction score
OK, we'll talk about hubbie's input into your birthday present in a minute.

For a writer, especially one with trifocals, the bigger and the more high resolution the screen the better. (Forget processor power, these days that's not a factor with word processing). The other important factor is keyboard feel, and that's not something you can tell from an image on an Internet site.

As for hubbie's war games, if they're the old-fashioned turn-based sort then no problem. If they need fancy high-resolution graphics, then it's unlikely that $500 is going to cut it. ;)

Cheers,

Brian

angelo11

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a very fair price for performance and in my experience Lenovo is a good brand.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Whatever laptop-specific upgrades you think you might need in the future, buy them NOW.

RAM upgrade. Extra battery. Docking port. Protective casing. Screen shield. Attachable camera. Etc.

In this day and age, computer offerings have time limits and the model you buy today - and all of its possible upgrades - won't be available 6 months from now.

-cb

ETA: bolded RAM and battery. Those are the major ones. Especially if you are taking the laptop on long flights.

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I hear Asus and/or Acer are great quality consumer laptops and PCs. I don't know for sure. I think Acer is cheaper.

nikoisbusy

Catching words & writing them down.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nikobommer.com
I got my laptop as a birthday present from my husband, too! I love it. It's a Sony Vaio T Series Ultrabook. I was chained to a desktop computer for way too long! hahaha! Good luck on your search.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
as per post #11 I found one. i'm soaking it now! it's an hp touchsmart, and once I peeled all the auto update and extra programs away, i'm quite satisfied. you guys can keep recommending away for the benefit of others, but i'm good.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
One final thought - we have a family policy of using a wireless keyboard with our laptops. There are several reasons for this - they tend to be better than most laptop keyboards, they let you sit further away from the screen and you don't risk damaging the laptop itself with excessive key pounding. Our 13 year old son nearly killed a laptop by bashing away at the space bar whilst playing minecraft. This pushed the laptop case down onto the DVD drive and made the whole thing vibrate as if it was trying to take off.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
One final thought - we have a family policy of using a wireless keyboard with our laptops.

Since the keyboard is the component most likely to fail (being there's really not much supporting it in a laptop) this is probably a good policy for anyone who can manage it.

And it need not be wireless; any USB keyboard will do.

(I use a USB mouse with mine, cuz I can't stand the touchpad.)

Craftsman

Registered
Reaction score
For what you want to spend I'd suggest you take a look at the Asus, 'Transformer' T100TA. It's received several decent write-ups; and you should be able to pick it up for less than $400.00.

If you want to spend a little more then checkout the Sony, 'Vaio Fit 14'. Personally, my next laptop just might be an Apple, 'MacBook Air'.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
ETA: bolded RAM and battery. Those are the major ones. Especially if you are taking the laptop on long flights.

Definitely. Aftermarket batteries might be cheap, expensive, or completely impossible to get, depending on the whims of the marketplace. And remember to swap the batteries regularly so the backup doesn't croak from sitting idle.

It's also a good idea to get an extra power adapter right up front. A lot of laptops can use a generic adapter (frex Dells can use a Panasonic adapter), but the oddball connectors and oddball voltages can become impossible to replace.

In my collection of Useless Junk I have a very ancient laptop (it runs DOS and Windows 3.1 if that tells you its age) where some prior owner got creative about a new battery, no doubt because a replacement cost more than the whole machine was worth. They'd taken the old battery unit apart, pitched out the existing innards, and replaced them with a whole bunch of rechargeable AA cells wired (soldered) in series, and left it rigged so they too can be replaced without too much trouble. Works fine, tho looks very strange.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
For what you want to spend I'd suggest you take a look at the Asus, 'Transformer' T100TA. It's received several decent write-ups; and you should be able to pick it up for less than $400.00.

I just got one of these, it's pretty nice but might take some getting used to if you're used to "normal" laptops. The fact that it charges with a micro USB is great, though.

Smoke82

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend ASUS as they usually perform well and are available at affordable prices. You also don't hear of them failing anywhere near as much as Acer, either.

Once in a while, make sure you blow some air into the vents of the device (via compressed air can) to keep the inner components clean. You'd be amazed how much dust computers can collect over time. Dust will cause the temperature to rise, which may cause the eventual overheating (and sometimes this can damage a computer beyond repair.) It's preventative maintenance more than anything, really.