Nope.

No matter how many times I say that those words together,
it just doesn't seem right. ;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
That's true.

It was some of the fringe nerds in my high school that began the futbol club.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
One of our Pokemon gym leaders (yes, I just said that), lifts weights competitively, and also has his own youtube channel about pokemon.

One never knows.
There may be some amount of overcompensation involved here... one of the guys I play FNM with is a competitive body builder.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Pssh. I don't believe that. Nerds come from all backgrounds, and some play football.

I don't play football, but I did graduate with 4 Varsity letters and was in several plays in high school.

Nerds have no boundaries, as verified in Shelley's famous romantic poem, Nerd Unbound.

His wife wrote Nerdenstein, a classic still studied at the University.

Blake wrote The Nerd, and Dickens wrote A Tale of Two Nerds.

After that came Weird Al and Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
OP,

You do realize there are programs to help people like you return to reality. They cost very little and can help you become a fully functioning member of society again.

:D
I saw something about that many years ago, there was a 16 year old girl who adamant about not wanting to do it, but was told "everyone goes through this at your age." Afterward, she spoke in a monotone about how grateful she was. Then Rod Serling had a few final words.
Nerds and sports
Nerds and sports

Nope.

No matter how many times I say that those words together,
it just doesn't seem right. ;)
Triathletes tend to be nerds. But then no one hears about triathletes or knows what triathlons are.

Monkeyarcher

Registered
Reaction score
ok, I may not cosplay, but I can rattle off all the different types of kryptonite there are, roll up a Dungeons and dragons character without looking in the books, I work at comic book and sci-fi conventions, and I have multiple versions of the Star Trek theme on my iPod. With lyrics.
In all good faith, I think I have to make that nerd claim.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do I even have to answer? I mean, just look at my avatar.

GrimMoody

Registered
Reaction score
I'm nerdy, but not in a pop culture way (though of course Star Trek is fun). I like history and political books. I'd rather do that than play video games.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I don't dress up at cons but I'm a Star Trek and Star Wars and video game/manga/anime/cartoon fan with hundreds of comic books. Also, I've loved Pokemon since high school and Mario since-well forever I guess.
And yes, I've played Magic: The Gathering, World of Warcraft, and Vampire: The Masquerade, to name a few things.
I don't call myself a nerd so much as a geek :).
Nerds to me are good at math.
Math is my lifelong enemy...

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
A good deal of my friends are cosplayers or are involved in related activities.

Myself? Not a cosplayer (though I can appreciate it). Love the game of Pokemon and many other Nintendo games. Will listen to video game soundtracks non-stop (which I am doing right now :D). Never got into MMOs though...

My Steam library is pretty light at the moment, mainly because during the sales, I don't buy that many games.

I go to more video game oriented conventions than anime ones.

I'm pretty "meh" on the nerd scale :p

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My kind of nerdiness wasn't even listed. I'm a old school nerd, although I own and regularly enjoy original Star Trek and Next Generation discs. An educated nerd like the crew on Big Bang Theory, my expensive tools include laptops, but my dress-up games are real interactive shooting sports and fishing. My favorite solitary game is deuces wild quarter slots. Like Cooper, I like to go by train. :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I make comics with my Tansformers and post them on my Deviant Art page.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
I think my problem was I don't like Pokemon all that much but will stalk for certain books or shows. I used to like dressing up but found as I got older I was too tired. I'd say I fit the dork mold much more than nerd but I like the question. :)

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I studied Comp Sci in school, but boy, was math my worst subject ever. Once I passed Calculus II I celebrated!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Nerds have no boundaries, as verified in Shelley's famous romantic poem, Nerd Unbound.

His wife wrote Nerdenstein, a classic still studied at the University.

Blake wrote The Nerd, and Dickens wrote A Tale of Two Nerds.

Then there's a bunch of American classics such as Moby Nerd, The Nerd Also Rises, The Great Nerdsby, and many, many, many more.

Not to mention contemporary masterpieces: Lonesome Nerd by Larry McMurtry, No Country for Old Nerds by Cormac McCarthy, and Khalid Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Nerds.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The Nerd Also Rises inspired me to drink red wine and eat a lot of cheese. That was my junior year in college. Good times!

Hemingway rocks! I loved A Farewell to Nerds. Even better: The Old Nerd and the Sea -- so spare, so poetic.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing so sublime as a telling by one of our own: I, Nerd

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm more geek than nerd. I failed math in high school, yet was indifferent to science then, but like it now.

I still enjoy comics. I love sci-fi and know that Forrest J. Ackerman coined that term. I also love fantasy.

I'm not a gamer in the least and never really have been. I prefer reading and writing to games.

And if anyone is curious, here are the differences between geek and nerd defined: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'd like to vote, but I'm not a 12-year-old boy, so Pokemon, Minecraft and Mario Kart are right out.

When taking our son to England for a graduation gift, we had to take a two day side trip to Cardiff in order to visit the Doctor Who Experience and tour the shooting locations.

I stood in line for two hours to meet Michael Dorn once.

My father and I use to play "name the episode" with ST:TOS. We could both name any episode from only the opening shot.

And you can't take the sky from me!