Consultants or Non-Police as Detectives

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Temperance Brennan is a forensic anthropologist working for a university. Cal Lightman has made a career, studying human behavior and facial expressions to hone his skills as a living lie detector. It makes sense that these people work with the police and FBI to solve crimes.

Castle stretches plausibility a bit, being a murder mystery writer who helps the NYPD solve crimes as a part of his book research. But at least having a degree in psychology makes his contributions believable.

Are there modern day Miss Marples and Leroy Browns? When does it become too much of a stretch for the average John Everyman to solve a crime like murder?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Temperance Brennan is a forensic anthropologist working for a university. Cal Lightman has made a career, studying human behavior and facial expressions to hone his skills as a living lie detector. It makes sense that these people work with the police and FBI to solve crimes.

Castle stretches plausibility a bit, being a murder mystery writer who helps the NYPD solve crimes as a part of his book research. But at least having a degree in psychology makes his contributions believable.

Are there modern day Miss Marples and Leroy Browns? When does it become too much of a stretch for the average John Everyman to solve a crime like murder?

For something light and fluffy like CASTLE or THE MENTALIST, we don't need to work too hard to make it real-life-plausible. We just need the sleuth to be brilliant and charismatic - the reader/viewer is going to happily suspend disbelief. The justification for Castle hanging around is initially that he is pals with the mayor, and quite soon becomes that he is too useful to get rid of. The first is a pretty flimsy contrivance, but by the time the second takes over we don't care that much.

LIE TO ME and NUMBERS spring to mind as examples of fairly fluffy dramas where the sleuth has a particular scientific competence that actual law enforcement agencies might use from time to time (and then spin that plausible premise out to a series where every crime gets solved with algebra, or something, which can get a bit wearing.)

Sliding towards the grittier end, you do see journalists or lawyers as sleuths - people who might plausibly interact with law enforcement etc. - but it is probably going to be difficult to write a realistic series in which, say, I solve crimes without having to keep solving the mystery of why I keep end up getting tangled up in murders (maybe, like Jessica Fletcher, I'm a brilliantly cunning serial killer.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
When does it become too much of a stretch for the average John Everyman to solve a crime like murder?

I think Torgo nailed it: entertain your audience, and they'll let you justify almost anything. Write it well - sell it to your reader - and it'll work.

Personally, things that tweak me are too many coincidences, and the "real" investigators being too stupid. But a few coincidences, a understaffed/corrupt/otherwise distracted police department, and an interesting protagonist, and I'll keep reading.

Castle-wise, I figure once you get past the mythology of the millionaire mystery writer, you can accept pretty much anything. :D

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Castle-wise, I figure once you get past the mythology of the millionaire mystery writer, you can accept pretty much anything. :D

LOL! I think of Castle as a really fun romantic suspense with some crime and forensics thrown in. I love watching it, even as it stretches my credibility limits. Really, Nathan Fillion can stretch anything he likes!

I have read all kinds of civilian-sleuth mysteries, starting with Nancy Drew and those lawyer's boys, and I think you've got it - we can believe anything for the duration of the story as long as it is well-written and the protags aren't stupid.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Personally, things that tweak me are [...] the "real" investigators being too stupid.

Oh, this bugs me too. Silent Witness (long-running UK forensic investigation series focusing on heroic pathologists) has this all the time - the police are too stupid / narrow-minded / interested in themselves to see the truth.

I can take about one episode a series like that, but when it gets to be every single time it's just lazy writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Castle is not there to help the police solve crimes. It simply turns out that he's pretty good at it, so they listen to him.

I don't keep a file, but I've read a fair number of cases over the years where a determined friend or family member solved a murder when the police couldn't.

The police will probably jump down your throat if you mess with an active murder investigation, but if you go about it right, cold cases are fair game.

And, of course, a pretty fair number of police departments have turned to psychics to help solve crimes, and when they do this, nothing else is out of bounds.

The biggest difference between real life and Miss Marple is that in real life, an opportunity to solve a murder is probably a one time thing. Someone gets murdered around Miss Marple every darned week. Personally, I'd stay the heck away from her.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
IMO this would only work as a one-time thing. For a series it'd have to be like Castle, which so obviously doesn't take itself seriously that even my police officer husband can watch it without yelling at the TV. If Castle was a serious drama it'd be ridiculous.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
IMO this would only work as a one-time thing. For a series it'd have to be like Castle, which so obviously doesn't take itself seriously that even my police officer husband can watch it without yelling at the TV. If Castle was a serious drama it'd be ridiculous.

I think Castle is a serious drama. Just because there's some humor doesn't mean it isn't.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I adore Castle too but I'm with Kate: it's really a romantic suspense like a Harlequin turned into TV. Very fun and especially for fans of Firefly like me.

One of the running jokes I thought about when reading your post was Murder She Wrote where and male in-law or distant cousin became an instant victim or suspect every week. It was really popular but also implausible ... but then implausible is quite common in cozies. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you entertain them :) (as Liz said)

I would think Sherlock would fit in the same category as a psychic consultant that the cops would use regularly.

Have fun and don't worry.

Last edited:

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Even though Castle and Bones are often cited as analogous, there's a world of difference between the two, in terms of the plausibility of Bones in contrast to Castle.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I find Temperance Brennan pretty unrealistic. But as something of a nerd myself, I get touchy about how women in science/tech are often portrayed on television.

I can relate to this, pretty much for the same reasons. I guess I find the field of characters on Bones to be always embroiled in romance (with the exception of Booth's boss, and there's a lady I'd love to see in a romantic situation! Write that, TV writers!)

I love it that Temperance Brennan is portrayed as the smartest person there, with her female support characters also very bright in different ways - but they all seem to be preoccupied with their romantic interests. Maybe that's just what I get for binge-watching it.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I find the romances on Bones pretty unrealistic.

I think Paul is referring less to the romance and more to the "what is this person doing at a crime scene."

Romances aside, a forensic anthropologist has more right to be at a crime scene than a murder mystery novelist. Expert witnesses are called on to provide testimony in court all the time. But if a murderer ever goes free because James Patterson was asked to provide his insights based on a scene out of Roses Are Red, I'm getting out of this country pronto.

There were two books written by Richard Belzer entitled "I'm not a Cop" and "I'm not a Psychic". Both books feature the actor and comedian as himself, solving fictional murders.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
As someone with high functioning autism it can be incredibly difficult to watch Temperance Brennan on Bones (not to mention the stupid stupid mAgIcAl ScIeNcE). For being supposedly brilliant with a high level of education in anthropology, the character expresses almost zero knowledge of actual human anthropology beyond memorized facts about socially isolated ethnic rituals. Part of what frustrates me is that they make her an asshole. You can have Aspergers and actually know how to not be an asshole. Her character is explained (but never quite shown) as pretty brilliant and capable of inference, so it bothers me that they are so willing to make her a caricature of autism rather than a nuanced character.

The Lie To Me show is based on a guy, and one of his students actually does a lot of traveling to help teach law enforcement all over the country about reading people. She's very heavily involved in lecturing the FBI and a variety of groups, but began her career as a civilian who simply was discovered to be highly skilled at perceiving and identifying microexpressions.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
As someone with high functioning autism it can be incredibly difficult to watch Temperance Brennan on Bones (not to mention the stupid stupid mAgIcAl ScIeNcE).

Though I haven't seen past season two yet, I think it's established that Temperance's main issues stem from abandonment and being mistreated by the foster care system. The awkward way in which she handles herself in social situations were all part of the coping mechanisms she developed growing up.

Keeping in mind of course that Temperance Brennan in the series is a different character entirely from Temperance of the Kathy Reich novels. The novels are more mainstream and the science involved has less of the Hollywood touch.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The Lie To Me show is based on a guy, and one of his students actually does a lot of traveling to help teach law enforcement all over the country about reading people. She's very heavily involved in lecturing the FBI and a variety of groups, but began her career as a civilian who simply was discovered to be highly skilled at perceiving and identifying microexpressions.

Although I'm pretty sure they've tried to test the efficacy of the Ekman technique for lie detection in various ways, and it's still very contentious. They tried to train the TSA and I think it didn't go terribly well. (I seem to remember that it's kind of hard to test in a research setting, because it's a very artificial situation.)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I think Castle is a serious drama. Just because there's some humor doesn't mean it isn't.

Castle is billed as comedy-drama. To me, shows like True Detective and The Wire are serious drama and Castle is light years away from those. Much of the dialogue is of the witty banter variety, the depiction of police work is... unrealistic, to put it mildly, and many of the cases of the week are really just excuses to satirize some pop culture phenomenon.
Castle does have serious moments but I wouldn't apply that label to the show as a whole.

Although I'm pretty sure they've tried to test the efficacy of the Ekman technique for lie detection in various ways, and it's still very contentious. They tried to train the TSA and I think it didn't go terribly well. (I seem to remember that it's kind of hard to test in a research setting, because it's a very artificial situation.)

That's the infamous SPOT program. The GAO reviewed it and found it has no scientific basis, is ineffective and should be defunded.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Though I haven't seen past season two yet, I think it's established that Temperance's main issues stem from abandonment and being mistreated by the foster care system.

The character changed quite a bit between seasons one and two. I liked her a lot in season one; in season two she seemed flattened into caricature. I gave up on the show when they wrote in the actress' pregnancy (in the stupidest possible way, modulo aliens).

But even though the character began annoying me, I stuck with the stories for several years. Which brings us back to the lesson for the OP: As long as you are entertaining your audience, you can stretch things all over the place. :)

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Not so much.

CSI (at least the early Vegas editions) were about the crime and the method. NYPD Blue is a serious drama based on the crime and the method, AND the results those crimes had on investigators.

Castle is more a dramedy in the vein of Ally Mcbeal. Yes, there's drama, but it's just a canvas in the BG on which the lighter, fluffier, comedic scenes and lines play out. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Castle. But true drama--though it's an hour long--it is not. Most current cop shows are about the serious nature of the business and the consequences (regardless how believable they may or may not be) often with some light comedy thrown in.

The brilliance of Castle is that is a lite comedy masked by mysteries and crimes. I can't tell you how many times the murder of the week was solved in a Scooby Do-like fashion in the final minutes with a sudden realization by Castle and/or Beckett of what really happened in a rapid-fire conversation. If this were a true drama (hence, making details and procedure tantamount) I would hate it. But because it is more of a comedy, I can give a lot of these last-minute brilliant guesses a pass, since it's about the journey, not the details.

ETA my least favorite Castle episodes are those in which they attempt to appear more serious and less comedic--at least a couple per season. I understand the urge to switch things up but they don't pull it off in those episodes. Without the comedy, this is a ridiculous, boring show. But with the comedy, and the well-defined character interplay, it's highly entertaining.

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I love Bones, but, yes, The Jeffersonian is the Fleetwood Mac of scientific institutions.

I never had an issue with her being on-scene, for what it's worth, I thought it was pretty well covered -- she's a Federal asset on-loan to the FBI because she has significant experience. I know she mentions several different third-world genocides/hotspots that she's worked at, identifying human remains. It wasn't too much of a stretch for me -- probably a sign of my own ignorance.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest difference between real life and Miss Marple is that in real life, an opportunity to solve a murder is probably a one time thing. Someone gets murdered around Miss Marple every darned week. Personally, I'd stay the heck away from her.

Absolutely. I once had a friend who used to joke that the Angela Landsbury character on Murder She Wrote was actually a fiendishly clever serial killer :D