What music would you pick if your M/T/S book became a movie?

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In my murder-mystery (Sunrise Caye) one chapter has the main character playing/singing Brian Burns' Dark Spanish Eyes. It's an important choice in song and plays a part in revealing some back-story.

The setting though is a small dive resort 30 miles off the coast of Belize so there is some obligatory Jimmy Buffett stuff.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently fallen in love with Johnny Marr (guitarist from The Smiths). I reckon the music from his new album fit pretty damn well with my action thriller..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfpBozCZtE

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In Sunrise Caye, cozy set on a small island off the coast of Belize, the main character owns two resorts. In the evenings he and some of the guides play guitars and sing. One important song is Brian Burns (www.brianburnsmusic.com) Dark Spanish Eyes.

bluelight

Δ
Registered
Reaction score
I think Ben Howard's music would probably fit best for my novel. It feels almost pastoral, which fits the setting of most of my novel well, but there's an unsettled vibe in there as well. Follaton Wood & Bones

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Hmmm. Christopher Walken would have to be able to dance to it. :D

The new book, Stress Fractures, is set in the summer of 1998. I looked up the top 100 from 1998, and I'm not sure any of that would work. Not that it has to be from that time. Anyway, some of the songs that would work.

Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin.
Redemption Song by Bob Marley
I Wish It Would Rain Down by Phil Collins (The video on this song is priceless, by the way.)
Take Me Home by Phil Collins
Pressure by Billy Joel
Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel
Running on Ice by Billy Joel
Badlands by Bruce Springsteen
O Death by Ralph Stanley

There must be more, but that's a pretty good start. :)

Last edited:

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working in a generally happy genre, except for the dead guy/s, and my character is kind of quirky/artistic, so Ella Fitzgerald type of music. Upbeat, and safe feeling.
Nancy

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Fun topic to consider!

I love how some music supervisors know how to include just the right mixture of songs. It enhances the movie experience for me.

My MC is actually a disc jockey, so music would be integral in my movie, but I would mix in some quirky, vintage music along with more modern songs.

Now I have to ponder this! Listening to a nice playlist while writing might really help my creative process.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When working on slow-burner mysteries I love listening to down-tempo trip hop or chill music. Portishead is a great source for such material. But mostly, the songs in this genre that I've purchased tend to be from obscure bands, usually with little or no lyrics.

slingerland

Absolute newbie
Registered
Reaction score
For my current WIP, part of the character arc is for the FBI agent's career to go down in flames, while the criminal (due to his political connections) becomes even more famous and popular. So score it, I would use a lyric Kansas' "Angels Have Fallen":

There's darkness around me, or is it within me?
You're living forever, I'm dying so slow.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
How did I miss this thread before? Nothing to add yet but I'm subbing to follow.

And no Kolta, you're not the only Zimmer fan here.