One sentence summary before revising.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm gonna start revising my novella but I read somewhere that I should make a one-sentence summary for it first. Not that it's necessary, of course, but could be a good idea.

I thought about these two, but I don't know which one to choose. Also, it feels a bit as if they are not completely well-constructed.

After surviving an attempted murder which left him with amnesia, Ben searches for his attacker in spite of the recurring memory leaks.

A man, who suffers from amnesia after attempted murder, starts searching for his attacker while experienced recurring blackouts.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who is the summary intended for?

How about this?

"Left for dead, Ben wrestles with amnesia on his search for an unknown assailant."

(I don't actually know if he was "left for dead", but I figured it gets the action up front. ;))

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Who is the summary intended for?

How about this?

"Left for dead, Ben wrestles with amnesia on his search for an unknown assailant."

(I don't actually know if he was "left for dead", but I figured it gets the action up front. ;))
Thank you for your reply. I love the way you're thinking. I like it. Let me give you some more info that might possibly help you help me even more :D

I don't honestly know, maybe to write behind the book? I just read it as an advice before revising. But the story is about Benjamin, who was attacked in his own home when he was with a lover and his wife and son were out of the house, but remembers nothing except seeing a man with a tattoo on his hand, leaving the premises. Thereon after, he is trying find out who did it while slowly finding out stuff that he did, but doesn't remember doing it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Writing a logline, or one-line pitch can be a good way to wrap your head around your story before revising - but it's just one technique and, like all techniques, may not be suitable in every case.

The basic principle is that you should be able to articulate an answer to the question "what is your story about?" in one line. And the process of working out what that one line is makes you think about the core plot and action in the story so you go into revision with a clear idea what the story you're telling is.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
I see. Well, it makes sense. And I think it's good to have that logline :) And the one Introversion came up with is almost perfect, imo.