A Life of Crime and Chocolate

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard that a former co-worker of mine (from two former employers) has died.

I actually mentioned him in a thread here a few weeks ago. He was the guy who was so depressed by what he felt were irredeemable flaws in a table he'd built, that he abandoned a woodworking hobby. But he'd often say that "some day" he might try again, "when I have the time".

Turns out, after a forced retirement (job-loss), he had the time, but used it to drink himself to death. Pushed away everyone he knew, friends and family both, and spiraled to what by all accounts was a very lonely and bitter end.

Sigh.

I'd lost touch with him, because he stopped replying to emails. (Turns out, that wasn't unique to me.)

And I wasn't very close, but we shared some good & bad times on the job, and he was usually a genial fellow to work with.

I'm just having a hard time reconciling that person and the person who found life so painful that they ended it. I knew he tended depressive, but most of the time it seemed more like performance art than something he couldn't cope with. :(

Depression is never an easy thing to recognize in others. It is an internalized condition that is difficult to spot accurately because people who suffer from it are often adept at hiding their true feelings. As you say, "he was a genial fellow to work with" though it's entirely possible that he had been suffering from depression for a number of years - he just gave no sign of it. Being 'sad' or 'negative' is not a reliable indicator of depression. It's not so much what a person says, or how he/she says it, that should ring alarm bells but the type of behavior that is exhibited. Your friend pushed people away and self-medicated (with alcohol) and I'm sure there were other things he did too, which would indicate he was severely depressed. Unless you were able to observe him everyday, you couldn't have known, or even suspected, how bad things were. But still, it must be so sad to hear of that happening to someone you knew. I hope you feel better soon. :Hug2:

And congrats, Shea!!!! That's awesome! :partyguy: Good news is always good to share. :D

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm back. Still very busy.

I'm sorry things have been rough for you, French and Intro.

But congratulations, Shea! That's great news.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Intro - :Hug2:'s

Shea - Congratulations! Fantastic news.:hooray:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
French (((hugs)))
Intro - I actually think about your story about the furniture every time I get downhearted with my attempts to learn painting and drawing and it always gives me that kick to keep going. I'm really sorry to hear about your colleague. ((hugs)) to you too.

Great news Shea! That's amazing :)

I have one more day of work to do then I have a week off. First proper holiday of the year, heading down to London for a couple of days. Can't wait.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Intro, I'm so sorry. One of my co-workers committed suicide a few months ago. I didn't know her well. She was such a sweet person. I don't know the details other than she'd suffered from depression for years. Such a terrible disease.

Just breathe, Silver - it will be over soon. I remember the night before the first day of the bar exam, I was panicky thinking I had so much to learn and so much to read. At one point, something clicked and I realized my brain was only going to retain so much information. So I poured a glass of wine and watched an Orioles game. They lost, which was a bummer (the Yankees won - even more of a bummer). I hope you can reach that point where you've done what you can and are able to let go.

Oh, and I passed. So the relaxing before going to bed was probably a good thing.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Far too quiet in here the last few days. How is everyone doing?

I made it through Easter, so I can breathe again. Next up, our new pastoral candidate comes in on Thursday, so I'll be working with him through the weekend, trying to convince him that our little church isn't crazy (hahahaha!--shhh.) and that he would love sunny FL. :Sun:

Kale the enormous kitten has grown. Ana the petite princess kitten has not. They are an endless source of amusement and joy.

How's you all?

tarak

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crazy is interesting, though. :)

I survived my oldest daughter's sleepover and skating party relatively unscathed. Six 11-year-olds squawking until the wee hours. It wasn't as painful as last year, but I've already nixed the concept of separate events for next year. I limited her to five friends sleeping over, but she wanted to invite a few others for skating. Inevitably, someone finds out about the sleepover and gets miffed because she wasn't invited. So it's one or the other. She's getting to the age where she'd probably prefer her friends stay the night than gather somewhere else.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oo, tara, I love sleepovers. :) We do them regularly here just because. Hey, it's Friday! Let's invite ten random kids to sleep over! I love it. (See: the aforementioned crazy.)

I'm glad she had a good time. :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you need :granny: or :beam:?

Friends, it's been a long time since I've visited all of the smilies. When did the alien contingent show up? :aliensmile:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Not so good.

Oh no. :( That sounds not so good. :( Want to share with us? Or shall we just send you warm, happy thoughts?

Friends, it's been a long time since I've visited all of the smilies. When did the alien contingent show up? :aliensmile:

Ha! They must have turned up around the April Fool's Day stuff. That's cute! Take me away! :transport:

tarak

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oo, tara, I love sleepovers. :) We do them regularly here just because. Hey, it's Friday! Let's invite ten random kids to sleep over! I love it. (See: the aforementioned crazy.)

I'm glad she had a good time. :)

One or two is usually fine. I think it's having group of them - in the bodies of almost-young women but with the energy of toddlers - that frazzles my nerves after a bit. That, and the knowledge that I'm not likely to get any sleep whatsoever. But they did have a good time.

Not so good.

I'm sorry. :Hug2:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yup, you're definitely crazy!:D

Not so good.

Hope things get better soon. :Hug2:

Oooooh. Nice. :D *Wanders off in search of new smilies.*

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a couple of weeks since I checked in here.
Far out lots has happened.
Blake's has seizures, didnt get his infusion for the pain, as he has a seizure on the table. Then Again this morning he had his biggest one yet - it wasnt a massive one, but big for him.
We got told that instead of months, we may just have weeks.

Thursday we're off to our farm stay. Blake"s looking forward to it, even if he can barely walk, because of all the weight he has gained due to the steroids. He's gone from 19kg to nearly 27kg in 3 weeks. I can barely pick him up. He's still eating me out of house and home, which is probably a benefit long term for him, as there will come a time when he stops eating.

It's been saddening, and lots of tears have flowed, but it is what it is. Can't change it. If anything I'm looking forward to him being cured, eternally. He's worked hard for these angel wings, and he's one step closer to getting them.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hope things get better soon. :Hug2:

I'm sorry. :Hug2:

Oh no. :( That sounds not so good. :( Want to share with us? Or shall we just send you warm, happy thoughts?

The alien, please. Some quality time in outer space sounds pretty good right now.

I'm sorry I just posted this without any context, but I had to head out unexpectedly. You guys are sweet to worry, but it's nothing dramatic as such. I just failed an exam in the most embarrassing and frustrating manner possible. It was an oral exam (I hate those), it all went okay for twenty minutes or so, I was thinking: "Yay, I'm gonna make it!"... and the professor asks me a question I can't answer. I know nothing, somehow managed not to review this bit at all. I stammer, I try to make stuff up, I even try to argue. But no correct answer, no pass. I was this close. (I can take it again next week, though.)

I've already been doubting whether I really have the brains for this, so I've got some thinking to do now.

FM, I'm so sorry.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the failed exam. Was it in front of the whole class, or privately?
That sucks, but self doubt won't get you anywhere, you need to kick those thoughts to the curb my friend.
Good luck with the exam next week.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Whole class. A lot of them did say afterwards that they wouldn't have known the answer either, but they didn't get that question and they passed. Well, most of them. I'm not completely alone in my failure.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
asroc, sorry to hear about the exam. I'm one of those bright-side people so will say: Imagine how well prepared you'll be next week! It's not falling down that matters. It's making sure you get back up.

French, :Hug2:. Just lots and lots of :Hug2:.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
asroc- sorry about the exam- oral exams are the worst-

French- major hugs coming your way!

Nothing big going on in my life- rounding the final corner in finishing the WIP, but- I started working on a query on it and that's sucked all my time foe the last week when I should have been writing- i get obsessed like that! Gah! I hate queries- loath them actually.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Huge hugs to all of your family, French. You're very brave. And what a wonderful way to look at it--Blake's on his way to true healing. You're a wonderful mother. You're in my prayers, always.

Ouch, asroc! I'm glad you can retake that test. Stupid test. Who needs it anyway?!

Shea, you're a brilliant writer. It'll come. :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
French - like HJ, I wish there was something I could do for you but I'm also sending lots of :Hug2:'s and prayers. You're awesome.

Asroc - Oh, I feel for you. :Hug2: Same thing happened to me in college. It feels awful for a while, but you'll get past it and you'll ace the next one. It helps if you forget about the one that didn't go well and focus on all the other successes you've had. :)

And chocolate. Don't forget the chocolate!