Magpious March 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
(Moderators may feel free to nuke this thread if I've opened it improperly.)

How did February go? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Unexpected?

What are your goals for March? And how can we all nag you to stay on target? :D

Share here, everybody!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Repeating what I said in the February thread:

I took the last few days of February off, with respect to writing. Just needed a break from it.

I hit just under 8,000 words for February. Short of my goal of 10,000, but I'm not feeling bad about it. If I'm traveling from Boston to San Francisco, and I wanted to reach the New York state border by nightfall of the first day but am still in western Massachusetts, what am I going to do, turn around? Just stop and turn into a puddle of remorse? No, the end-goal is the same. Progress is good. Eventually, I'll get there.

I intend to do 10,000 words in March. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
February was actually not bad. Made some headway with the WIP and have dug out my old MS to see if I can do some rewrites and make it into something readable. So that's pretty much March's goal, to carry on with that.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
February was not a good month for me. March will probably be just a busy, but my New Month resolution is to manage my time better. Will finish the WIP. Will do some rewriting. Yes. That'll definitely happen.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much, Liz! I just got in from a weekend away, so I appreciate you opening this. :)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Zelenka!

It's okay, asroc. Don't beat yourself up. Are you enjoying the process, are you getting the story down? Any words are good words.

+722 for me today.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Ha! I see from the Fantabulous February thread that I wisely did not specify a February goal. Just as well, since I probably wouldn't have made it (I tend to be overly ambitious). That said, February wasn't too bad, all in all. I made lots of progress revising the first three-quarters of the WIP and am cautiously pleased with how it's shaping up.

And now, goals for March. I'm feeling optimistic, so this month I absolutely, positively WILL finish the revisions on the final one-quarter of the WIP. I'm taking an online challenge class this month, in which my challenge was (wait for it) to finish the last one-quarter. No excuses now!

Total of +679 new words today, revising a scene between the MC and his love interest.

And, guess what — we're going to get walloped by even more snow tomorrow! (Blech!) But my employer has already announced that we won't have to go to work, meaning lots of good writing time.

Happy March, everyone! Rumor has it that spring will arrive in a few weeks. (It has to at some point, right?!)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My February goal was to get the last part of the first draft in good enough shape to send to the agent. I managed that, with the heroic assistance of my wonderful, wonderful beta readers, and good things ensued. :)

My March goal is to get Real Revisions done. I don't have a good sense of how much work this is going to be (I don't have the editing notes yet), but I'm guessing, if I'm lucky, I may be able to get about a quarter of the book revised (that's 35,000 words, roughly - 13 chapters plus the prologue). The first part is going to require the most changes, so I'm anticipating that this work is going to be fairly dense and fussy.

Also, I still need a title. Everything I like has been taken.

Today* I removed a chunk, thus providing an instant savings of over 2,000 words, and did a light revision pass on an early chapter, leaving me with a net total of -2,290.

Go, March Madness! :e2cheer:

*I also spent way more time than I should have trying to find some Terribly Clever Vocabulary Words Beginning With M. I suck at this.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I googled magpious and the only match was this thread...

I'm being very, very ambitious this month. I want to finish the first draft. That means about 70K words. I have a plan and it's definitely doable. I just need to show some discipline.

As a back up, I'll be happy with 20K.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So last month was all about getting First Book out of the nest. This month my attention returns to Second Book.

Targets... let's say finish the outline and start on the first draft.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
February was by best month ever on this MS! If I can stay the course, I can finish this month - yes, that is my goal, to get to the Big Revisions.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The word I started with was "magpiety." I adjectimified it. :D

(Maybe it should have been "magpietous"? That's prettier, anyway.)

And, both of them have "pie" in them, so there's that. :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what you're all talking about. I'm still in February.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay, asroc. Don't beat yourself up. Are you enjoying the process, are you getting the story down? Any words are good words.

Yeah, writing is still fun and after three years of work I still think it's a good story. I'm just really busy and feel guilty when I'm not doing any school work or work work. Plus I'm turning 29 on Friday and I think I'm getting a mid-life crisis. (Also realized it's probably too late to have a quarter-life crisis. Shitshitshit...)

Anyway, I rewrote a section of the WIP. It's now 200 words shorter. Success!

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Ah, to be 29 again. Asroc, 29 is a good age! Don't be sad!

Completely deleted one chapter in its entirety and rewrote it, the whole shebang. Total of 59 new words in all, but a bright, shiny new chapter is there in place of the clunky old one. (In theory, at least.)

Back to work tomorrow. Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't know what you're all talking about. I'm still in February.

I'm still in 1985, but that's just because I'll always be 21 on the inside. :)

No actual words for me tonight, but I did read through 18 pages of editing notes. Really good stuff. It means, however, that I'm looking at major rewrites of probably about 1/3 of it, and fairly focused changes throughout the rest.

So for the next two days I will be organizing my thoughts, and coming up with a game plan/schedule.

Asroc, definitely get the mid-life crisis over with while you're young. When you do actually hit mid-life, you're going to be having way too much fun for a proper crisis. :)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Asroc, I will resist telling you that 29 is not old, because at every age I've been, someone was happy to tell me, "That's not old!" And on the Internet, those conversations quickly devolve into a Monty Python skit and end with someone living in a lake. ;)

However, I will say that if you're writing at 29, you should have many years in which to do it. Good for you for starting when you did, and sticking to it. If I'd started writing at 29, I'd probably have bushels of rejection letters by now. :D

+409 words for me tonight. That seems to be about what I can manage on average. So be it.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think it's partially because at school I'm surrounded by people who are ten years younger than me and many people who've set out to get what I'm currently working on have already achieved it at the age I am now. (Not sure if that was a real sentence or just a collection of words... I need more sleep.)

I've decided the WIP needs a third draft. Rewrote part of the first scene, it's going strangely well. Having some distance really helps a lot.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Great going and Happy Birthday Asroc!

My 65th is approaching...! When I was a child living in China with my parents in the 1950's, they used to attend 30th birthday parties of various women in their circle - women were not considered fully adult until that age and it was a great celebration of independence, property-owning, wisdom, etc.

There was no similar celebration for men as it was assumed that they would simply never mature...perhaps there was no need for them to do so, I never found out.

Congratulations on all your progresses!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well, I got my first rejection. Is there some sort of badge? Or a hat? I feel like there should be a hat.

There is a hat. It says "I am a real writer."

How many published authors have you heard of who have never had a rejection? There may be a few out there, but I've never heard of them. This happens to everyone. And yes, it's a hard, hard thing.

:Hug2: Have faith in yourself, and in your art, and keep going.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got my first rejection. Is there some sort of badge? Or a hat? I feel like there should be a hat.

Sorry to hear it!

Frame it. That way, when Oprah mentions it, and it's #1 on Amazon for the third straight month from that and all the buzz on goodreads, you can Nelson Muntz at it.

200px-Picture0003.jpg

+671 tonight for me.
url

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
First chapter revised - +189.

I am going to have to step up the pace, I think. Somehow I appear to have 60 chapters plus a prologue and an epilogue in this thing (WHAT AM I THINKING??), and I'd really like to finish by the end of April.