The April Words Do Matter, 500 words/day thread-all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I wrote a few tiny words. Mostly they are good ones. That is all.

Tiny words add up just as much as big, multisyllabic, incomrpehensible words. Yay, you! :hooray:

You know, Liz, Dante wrote about the seven levels of Hell. Hmmm… wonder how we could describe those in terms of writing and revising?!

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I've rewritten this book at least seven times. :e2faint: I am beginning to believe that I will be rewriting it forever.

I did, though, get through another chapter and a half, and I only added 69 words! Small victories. :)

Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for small victories, Liz.:Clap:

My victory isn't so much small as minute. I read over the scene, highlighted the problem paragraphs, now I'm in thinking mode.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, managed a little over 500 words today. Most good and even managed to make one of my MCs smile at some bacon humor. If I can manage the same tomorrow, I'm declaring my writers block conquered.

For the first time in a couple of months, words and ideas flowed freely again and I'm feeling confident and positive.

Liz & Muse, I know where you are coming from, but even though the steps are small, you are still closer to your goal than you were the day before.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So, not as much as I wanted to get done today. I was hoping to do two chapters a night, and last night I only got through one and a half. Tonight I finished the second half, so officially I'm two chapters behind.

Mustn't...panic....

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
First posting of April!

Total word count for March = 5,225. Works out to be an average of 168.55 words per day. Pretty pathetic, to be honest - that's the worst average monthly word count since I started logging them last year.

I think April's not going to be much better, but I have the excuse of having to work on edits much of this year - two books coming out with MuseItUp, one re-release and one new, and the editing cycle for both has begun.

I'm also going to be horrendously busy with the day job this month.

However, I did manage 658 words this morning.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Yay, managed a little over 500 words today. Most good and even managed to make one of my MCs smile at some bacon humor. If I can manage the same tomorrow, I'm declaring my writers block conquered.

If it's inspiration for bacon humor that you want, Maxx, check this out. They even have bacon toothpaste.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I've rewritten this book at least seven times. :e2faint: I am beginning to believe that I will be rewriting it forever.

Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

Second that -- cheers to all! :e2cheer:

Liz, just keep telling yourself that every time you go through the book, it gets better and better!

Haven't updated in a few days, but am now 20% through round two of revisions. That's the good news. On the down side, I'm adding more and more words. The WIP is now up to 89,000 or so, with +340 new words just this morning. On the other hand, I like the way it's shaping up! Maybe words can be trimmed in round three of revisions….

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg

Right there with you. I think once I'm done with these revisions, unless a publisher is asking me to make others and I have a contract, I'm setting it aside. I'll continue to query it, but I don't think I have another massive rewrite in me. While I love this book, I want to love the next one, too. And I haven't worked on that one nearly enough to feel invested in it.

I got through a good twenty pages over the weekend and have the next chapter substantially revised. Just haven't typed those revisions into my MacBook. I'm over halfway there, which feels good. And I've been able to get some of the new bits in draft form. I really, really want to get the rough draft done by the end of this month. I'm still feeling like that's possible.

Try not to panic, Liz. You'll get there.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still in thinking mode. Scrivener says I've added 22 words, which is great, but I'm supposed to be cutting words out.:Headbang:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Minimal wordage, doing some revising.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
650 words today and a plot hole resolved. Feeling happy.

WTG onesecondglance

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Four chapters tonight. Woo hoo! Of course, two of them didn't need much work, so I got lucky. But I'm back on schedule. Phew.

Yay for new words, and for revisions! :e2cheer:

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Go, Liz!

:hooray:for all with words, even minimal.

:Hug2:to those with no words. Hang in there.

First new words since my last update, the !@#$ day job is kicking my butt. Managed to get on with a scene I started and got a whopping 751 words. Brings the WIP to 61,537. Getting there. :D

Good luck and good writing!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thank you, Maxx. :)

Sorry about the day job, Ken - but wow, you are getting close! That is fabulous!

Here's to unstuckness, Saoirse. It will come

Two more chapters, and +90 tonight.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
478 words this morning and it's a struggle.

For reasons too complicated to explain, my main character has ended up in Vietnam in 1967. I need to do a pile of research before I can take it any further.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Ouch, Shara. Sounds like a big job.

I managed around 400 words this morning. Just getting to one of the first bits I've been looking forward to writing. (I almost have a body count! It's been too long...)

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another scene edited, but I have a feeling there's one missing between it and the next scene. Dunno. :Shrug:

I guess the thinking hat will stay on for another while.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Well done folks. Although the fate of the universe doesn't rest with your writing. I'm sure it appreciates your efforts to make it a more enriching place to be. :D

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
That's todays writing over and another 470 words were added to my WIP, another plot development was mapped out. A good day.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Well, total of -150 words today in Revisions, Round Two, where I'm up to chapter eight (of 50, total). Most of my free time today was spent on winery book promotion (sadly, I have to actually drink some wine in order to post comments about it on FB, but that's the way it goes…).

But, on the bright side, it's the weekend, right?!

Happy writing, everyone!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Two more chapters revised. Yay! Up another 104 words. Boo.

I may have a fundamental pacing problem, but for now: pushing on.