The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Rick. Where were you off to this time?

Thalia - it depends on the book for me. With my boy POV, I felt like I knew him inside and out before I had a story for him. With my other book, I knew the story and the characters came from that.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Someone come cook for me? I'm too sick to move, but I'm hungry. My son is offering to make me a panini, which is sweet, but I can't have gluten.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I repped everyone. Thanks again! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

:snoopy: :hooray: Congrats, LW, Ink, and Blue!

*waves to Rick and Thalia*

You know, I really love Fridays.

Thank you, everyone! Now I want a coconut cupcake for breakfast.

Coming right up!

thumbnail.aspx

Hey, writerly question! Does anyone else know a lot of really specific things about their characters before they've even figured out the backstory? For example, in my current WIP, I know every characters' Starbucks order without thinking about it, but don't know any of their parents very well. Anyone else like that?

My SNI is different than my usual and is very character-driven, so yes, I would do that. But in most cases, I'm like this:

Thalia, since my stories are very plot-driven, I give them characteristics I need to fit the story.

*crawls back to Twitter stalkery*

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I missed Moving Day and a bunch of great news. I see the junk poster is up on the wall already, and someone's been tossing dirty clothes on the couch and empty vodka bottles in the corner. And what's that smell? * smells like pee in here *

Lily! Where's the Febreze?

Elisabetta - cool Turkish fort! I like Kris' idea - it would look great dusted with powdered sugar. :)

lwalker - Great Gumption! Vamp dust for the rev!

Lisa - Congrats on the book launch!

Dawn - WOOT! on the top 10 listing!

Justme - WOOHOO for signing the new agent!

Team Evil - great pics!

Ink - Giant Yay! for agent feedback and clear biopsy!

Blue - way to go, taking on that fierce competition in the Wine category! :)

:hi: Hi Thalia! Welcome back.

Mystery, I wish I had funny (agent) stories. Mine are all grim.
I have no funny ones either - but a great blow-to-the-gut rejection. We bitch about the boilerplate rejections we get from agents, without telling you what's wrong with your writing. lwalker got a really nice feedback email from the agent she queried. Here's one response I got:

"You don't have the writing skills to pull off such a complex mix of action and emotion."

That was from Dream Agent, when I queried her with the original version of Book 1. She was right, and I was thankful she provided the feedback.

She emailed me again the next day, asking for my home address so she could mail me some books and she gave me a reading list of others I should buy, so I could figure out what Book 1 was supposed to look like. Although she kicked me to the curb after 2 revs, without her help, I wouldn't have hooked Agent.

No news on the sub yet.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
"You don't have the writing skills to pull off such a complex mix of action and emotion."

That was from Dream Agent, when I queried her with the original version of Book 1. She was right, and I was thankful she provided the feedback.

My favorite funny R (after this big agent requested a full of my very first novel/attmept): "Thanks very much. You have a thriller in here somewhere, but I have trouble finding it." I've gotten over it....no, I lied. I have not. g.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be at the Avengers sometime this weekend!

Unfortunately, tonight I'm doing lights for a show my sister's in (since she volunteered when I was in Hairspray, I owe it to her) so my schedule this weekend is kinda packed. Seriously, this is the fifth production I've been part of in six months. It's crazy.

So, I'm so behind! What's everyone working on now?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn - I'm getting my hair cut, then I'm vowing to finish Peacemaker tomorrow. (I typically don't go out on drinking holidays, it's safer that way)

LWalker - That's spectacular!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at tally*

congrats on all the good news!!!

*sneaks litterbox into the new digs*

mercyupsidedown1.jpg

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who haven't seen Avengers yet, stay to the end of the credits. Seriously.

I always stay until the end of the credits. Even if there is nothing after them. This guarantees that everyone leaving the movie is in their cars and on the way and that the restrooms are clear.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the different usages of 'fanny' :tongue
Oh god, yes. And the snickers you'll hear when someone named Randy goes to Australia.
Blue - way to go, taking on that fierce competition in the Wine category! :)
That's kind of what I was thinking. :D

Blondie, I love that little vid clip. JL and Woolfie are so cute together.

Missed gretting Pisarz the other day, so :hi:there!

Hi, Thalia! Yes, I remember you very well. I can't believe you're still not 16, so you were about 13 when you first droped into purgatory?! Yikes. Glad you are still serious about your writing. You are getting such an incredible head start over most of us.
Rick! :Hug2:So glad to see you.
My favorite funny R (after this big agent requested a full of my very first novel/attmept): "Thanks very much. You have a thriller in here somewhere, but I have trouble finding it." I've gotten over it....no, I lied. I have not. g.
Oh, GJB, you poor thing. That was soul crushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.