Not open for further replies.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Thanks guys :Hug2:

ETA: My husband actually just finished reading said novella last night, and came into the bedroom (where I was knitting and watching TV) teary eyed and pointing to the goosebumps on his arms. I mean, I know it's my husband and he has motive to be nice to me and all, but still. That's quite a reaction for someone to have to characters that are difficult to connect with...

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Bishop,

I think that just goes to show how subjective this whole business is. One person's treasure is another person's trash and all that jazz.

Hopefully someone else will love it as much as you and your hubby do :)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Bishop,

I think that just goes to show how subjective this whole business is. One person's treasure is another person's trash and all that jazz.

Hopefully someone else will love it as much as you and your hubby do :)

Yes, it is so subjective! And I promise I'm not adverse to crit on it, it's just that this piece has been beta read by MANY people and R+R'd twice, and no one else has mentioned having this issue with it.

Oh well *shrugs*

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: My husband actually just finished reading said novella last night, and came into the bedroom (where I was knitting and watching TV) teary eyed and pointing to the goosebumps on his arms. I mean, I know it's my husband and he has motive to be nice to me and all, but still. That's quite a reaction for someone to have to characters that are difficult to connect with...

Awww.

Good luck!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Bish and Parump! Sorry for the rejections! Don't get discouraged (easier said then done, right? I got so down after my first rejection, my wife had to dope-slap me back to reality).

Bishop, I didn't find your characters to be hard to connect with, if it's any consolation.

Dorothy! Good luck on your signing! I can understand your jitters. I'd rather be a stay-at-home kinda' writer myself 'cause, well, I just don't like people!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Kansas! I have an important question! When you turned sixteen, did you have a girlfriend and what did she get you?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
LisaLu! She got me a broken heart when I turned sixteen! Took up with a football player! Most of my high school "relationships" didn't last longer than three or four dates. I'd find some way to mess it up or a better looking guy would come along.

Now, if you're doing research, I can still probably help you out. When my daughter's boyfriend hit sixteen (ah, how I wish she was still with that guy!), she got him his favorite college knit cap for his birthday. For Christmas, she bought him--I'm blankin' here, not ear-rings, sorta' like "studs," but she called them something else. Posts? No, that doesn't seem quite right...hope this helps!

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R's,Parump and Bishop:Hug2:

Congrats,Dorothy! I wish I could go. I'd come see you!

Things are going great. I have an excellent editor after an exhaustive search and a very good cover artist in mind. I got quite beside myself planning my YA empire! As usual,my rude sibling destroyed my delusions of grandeur.

It's a lot of work,but it's a very satisfying kind of work. My daughter volunteered to be my Girl Friday for my social media,but not for free. She expects to be paid in Nintendo games and informed me that a late payment will result in suspension of her services.These children are quite greedy these days.

Fingers crossed for everyone querying and I wish you all happy writing!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, I am not going to BEA, but if I was, I'd line up for your book signing. I am sure it will be wonderful. I keep thinking about Smiley's pictures from last year.

I am on season 3 of Breaking Bad. It is cutting into my writing time, but very hard to stop.

I was interviewed for a feature story in my local newspaper yesterday. Now I feel famous.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent a story off to Random House again - we'll see what they say. Either way, I'm not giving up :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have another story question. This time for the parents here:

What were your ideal baby names?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejects, Bishop & parumpdragon.

But how do you submit shorties to Random House and what kinda shorties are they looking for?

As for ultimate baby name, nothin' beats "Mary Sue."

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score

I had always loved the name Taylor for a girl. But then my husband and I fell madly in love with the LOTR movies and we named our twin girls Arwen and Lorien :D (Arwen is Elvish for Noble Lady and Lorien is Elvish for garden).

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score

I was crazy about Swahili names. I envisioned a daughter named Imani and a son named Kwame.

Alas,their father insisted on Michael and Michaela after himself,of course.

I adore Elizabeth as a name for some reason. Probably why I use it for my writing name.

Oh,and I have to share! A friend made a book trailer for my YA novel! EEEEK!

Last edited:

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I'm super tired tonight. I had a cup of coffee yesterday night around 8:30, which was kind of great because I was wide awake and wrote. I wrote until 7 this morning, finished the chapter that someone critiqued, which ended up three pages shorter, but better. Problem was, I couldn't get to sleep until noon. D: Now I'm so tired and I want coffee.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
In middle school, despite the fact that I knew I liked girls, I still wanted kids. I envisioned a boy named Scott James and a girl named RaeAnne Leigh.

Today I have a son named James Michael Ray, so all those earlier names have been implemented into one child, if I have a girl someday the Leigh and the Anne are still supposed to be used!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I was crazy about Swahili names. I envisioned a daughter named Imani and a son named Kwame.

Alas,their father insisted on Michael and Michaela after himself,of course.

I adore Elizabeth as a name for some reason. Probably why I use it for my writing name.

Oh,and I have to share! A friend made a book trailer for my YA novel! EEEEK!

Elisabeth is sort of a family name for me (though as you see, we spell it with an "s" instead of a "z"). My mother's aunt was Elisabeth, my mom's middle name, my middle name and of course I passed it on so Lorien is Lorien Elisabeth. :D

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
Elisabeth is sort of a family name for me (though as you see, we spell it with an "s" instead of a "z"). My mother's aunt was Elisabeth, my mom's middle name, my middle name and of course I passed it on so Lorien is Lorien Elisabeth. :D

I have two characters with the name,one of which uses your spelling. I love this name,lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.