Non-SF/F Books for SF/F Writers

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
This thread is to suggest books that, while not in the SF/F genre, are good idea fodder for SF/F writers. Books that spark inspiration, basically. Most of my examples are (at least nominally) non-fiction, but they don't have to be.

My suggestions:

UFO's, Conspiracies, and Other Esoterica
I don't believe in this stuff myself, but I find it a great area to mine for plot ideas.

John Keel, The Mothman Prophecies. Much, much better then the movie, and I liked the movie. This would have won awards if it had been published as fiction.

Nick Cook, The Hunt for Zero Point. On the history of antigravity.

Atompunk

Spencer Weart, Nuclear Fear / Rise of Nuclear Fear. On the history of the public perception of nuclear energy, from the discovery of radiation to the present. There are two editions: Nuclear Fear was published in the '80s; Rise of Nuclear Fear is an abridged, updated version published last year. Both are excellent, though Rise is more accessible.

Fred Kaplan, The Wizards of Armageddon. A popular history of the Cold War nuclear strategists.

Edward Zuckerman, The Day After World War III. Written in the '80s, a popular account of the US government's Continuity-of-Government efforts - basically, their plans for how to survive the apocalypse.

Last edited:

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
History/Worldbuilding

Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel. An explanation for why some civilizations end up conquering others.

Mark Kurlansky, Salt: A World History. How a commodity shaped the course of history for thousands of years.

Mark Rosenfelder, The Planet Construction Kit. A step-by-step guide through one method of worldbuilding.

The Nature of Reality

Max Tegmark, Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality. If you want to write anything concerning parallel universes, start here.

Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time. Old and somewhat outdated, but still brilliant and fun to read.

Richard Feynman, QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter. Such a great book it's worth reading just to see if it will get your mind going.

Last edited:

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of Guns, Germs and Steel (which I sort of dislike, as it's really: Germs, Germs, and Germs) I'd recommend 1491 and 1493. (Although really any history is great for fantasy.)

I also highly recommend a subscription to Scientific America for the SF types. It at least reduces the possibility that you'll totally miss a fairly well-known scientific /technological advancement.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
The Children of Pride is great if you've got a primarily agrarian/antebellum-ish society. It's a brick, but it's an awesome brick. I also like Herodotus, dubious credibility aside. I think he was great at capturing the flavor of things. The Prince is good for anything with heavy politics, since he backs up his examples with things that are a.) very easy to check and b.) people who were cool/ruthless enough to inspire characters.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
At Day's Close by E. Roger Ekirch -- a cultural history of night and what it meant in times past, how people viewed it, what use they made of it, etc. Absolutely fascinating.

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene -- String theory. A bit dense, but well-written and certainly lots of SF fodder in there.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
I found both Parasite Rex and The Agile Gene prompted ideas, as did, oddly, Freakonomics.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For science fiction writers, Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. It was a great look into how some science fiction technologies might be made possible.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
As a sci-fi writer with a degree in Social Theory, I'll have to throw in Max Weber. Some brilliant and chillingly truthful analysis of the nature of society (which is completely timeless).

I'll also give a nod to the 19th century Russians. Gogal, Dostoevsky (specifically Notes from the Underground and his shorter works). Mostly because they pushed their genres and thought of new ways to use storytelling to deliver their message. Which I think is really central to any surrealist/speculative types of fiction. Not to mention there is something incredibly alien about the world as the 19th century Russians saw it.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
On the subject of Russia being another planet, my personal favorite is Why They Behave Like Russians (1946) by John Fischer. A boots-on-the-ground look at how political effects alter human behavior.

[No longer on OpenLibrary.org because the scan got mangled, but if you see it floating around, it is out of copyright.]

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to divert slightly, and suggest some fiction in other genres that presents examples of crisp, clear, vigorous narrative that any SF/F writer would benefit by studying:

The Travis McGee suspense thrillers of John D. MacDonald
Rogue Male, and Watcher in the Shadows, suspense novels by Geoffrey Household
Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, dark noir stories by James M. Cain
The Nero Wolfe detective mysteries by Rex Stout
Of Mice and Men, realistic novel by John Steinbeck
The Old Man and the Sea, realistic novel by Ernest Hemingway
I Am Legend, atmospheric horror novel by Richard Matheson
plus any number of "classics" in the SF/F field, which got to be "classics" by being damn good stories.

All provide useful lessons in how to structure narrative in such a way as to entrance a lot of readers.

caw

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I'm going to divert slightly, and suggest some fiction in other genres that presents examples of crisp, clear, vigorous narrative that any SF/F writer would benefit by studying:

The Travis McGee suspense thrillers of John D. MacDonald

If you write in first person, these are must-study books.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Historical Fiction is so close to SF/F that they are occasionally producing books that can be shelved in either genre. (*cough* Guy Gavriel Kay). Books translated into English from foreign cultures are also vital to building realistic futures.

Haldor Laxness is my favorite historical fiction author, but there are so many to choose from.
Orhan Pamuk is an amazing Turkish author, who won the Nobel writing about Turkey.
War and Peace and Anna Karenina are amazing Russian novels with the vast sweep of epicness that fantasy authors struggle to reproduce.

I could go on, but that's quite enough hefty, fat tomes, for now.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another suggestion: The Year 2000 by Herman Kahn and Anthony Wiener. Published in the early '70s, it's a classic work of future speculation. There are a couple of chapters that are just long tables of economic performance predictions, which can profitably be skipped, but the rest of it is philosophizing about how society will develop. This is not stereotypical "flying car and a moon base" early Cold War futurism; they're talking about stuff like "how will society adapt to increasing automation?" and "what will be the impact of high-capacity global telecommunications?" They actually got some stuff surprisingly right, and even what they got wrong is fascinating.

tianaluthien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Ok, so this suggestion is definitely not light reading and definitely in need of an editor, but Marx's "Capital" provides fodder for the creation of economic systems and regimes.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
The Ordinary Business of LIfe by Roger Backhouse is a rather fascinating economic history, and of course you can't go without Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.

Now, if you're really into some hard reading and philosophizing about the nature of torture, human behavior, and/or the effect of history on writing among other things, I might suggest sitting down with a little Michel Foucault or Walter Benjamin. (Not for the faint-hearted, especially Michel Foucault - I'd recommend Discipline and Punish).

I also found Alan Weisman's The World Without Us to be a great "what if" thinker...

And I know this may come across as trite and a roll-of-the-eyes moment, but studying Shakespeare, Thomas Middleton, Ben Jonson and some of the other Renaissance dramatists can prove to be quite useful when thinking about rousing speeches, witty banter, and, well, just plain fine language!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Epic of Gilgamesh, because it all starts here.

The Tale of Genji, because everything else starts there.

Shakespeare and the King James Bible, because as a writer English is your tool, and they made the toolkit.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd like to bump this to suggest The Image of the Future by Fredrick Polak. Tough to find these days, and very dense - it's two volumes of 500 pages each - but quite fascinating: it's a history of Western beliefs about the future, and how those beliefs have influenced history, from the days of Israel and Greece to 1960 (when it was written). Not a perfect work, by any means - in particular, it's explicitly limited to "the West" and its antecedent cultures - but still full of interesting stuff.

tianaluthien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm on a bit of an Arctic kick lately, and a couple of books I can recommend if anyone wants ideas about writing in that kind of environment are:

Prisoners of the North by Pierre Berton
The Arctic Grail by Pierre Berton
North to the Night by Alvah Simon
Du bon usage des étoiles ("On the Proper Use of Stars") by Dominique Fortier* (originally in French but also available in English)
Endurance by Alfred Lansing (technically this is Antarctic, but whatever)

*this one is a novel, the others are all historical accounts and extremely well-written, especially the Pierre Berton books. You might want to keep a cuppa nearby while reading, though...