Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score
QUICK! Off the top of your head - what will you wear for the photo on the dust jacket of your novel? And how will you be posed? Be creative, because we've all seen the "thoughtful author" pose a zillion times.
It will be of me in a leather jacket, leaning against a brick wall, looking contemplatively into the camera, while a cream pie is suspended in the air next to my head, a split second before it smashes into me.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
QUICK! Off the top of your head - what will you wear for the photo on the dust jacket of your novel? And how will you be posed? Be creative, because we've all seen the "thoughtful author" pose a zillion times. [SUP]*[/SUP][/SIZE]
Iron Man PJ's, messy hair, left side of beard wet from having drooled on it the night before, while I prop myself out of bed and shield my eyes from the flash.

A clock is visible in the background. It says "11:37."

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
QUICK! Off the top of your head - what will you wear for the photo on the dust jacket of your novel? And how will you be posed? Be creative, because we've all seen the "thoughtful author" pose a zillion times.

sandals, shorts, tee shirt and a wide brim hat. one hand the book the other a drink.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing.

Grin.

Just a head/shoulder shot, like the one I'm using a temporary cover. I'm a decent photographer for others, but I can't seem to manage the angles right to take my own picture like this.

But this is what I'd shoot for.

My WIP is The Dark, after all... :)

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
It'll just be a blank white square with 'footage not found' written underneath.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A week late and a dollar short, but it's here!

In honor of National Imaginary Author Month[SUP]*[/SUP], who is your favorite 'fictional' author. Note the quotes; you may define fictional - also note that does not say 'fiction' - any way you choose: pseudonyms, characters, POV conceits (such as Watson), etc.

I think mine would almost have to be Watson, simply because the Sherlock stories were some of the first "adult" fiction I ever read, and I devoured all of them the summer between sixth and seventh grade.

*NIAM is totally not a thing. Not even remotely a thing.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
I have to go with Miss Felicity Beedle. With titles like The World of Poo (now also available on Roundworld, aka Earth) and The Joy of Earwax under her belt, how can one not admire the bestselling Discworld children's author whose writing philosophy is basically that writing can't be that hard as all of the words have already been invented, and most of them are going to be "to", and "but", and "and" anyway, so most of the work has already been done.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes thread*

*checks mic*

This thing on?

Hello???

Leaving the question up from last week, seeing as we've had so few people in this week. I'm assuming it was a slow week for newbies....

D S LILLICO

Author of Xy
Registered
Reaction score
In honor of National Imaginary Author Month[SUP]*[/SUP], who is your favorite 'fictional' author. Note the quotes; you may define fictional - also note that does not say 'fiction' - any way you choose: pseudonyms, characters, POV conceits (such as Watson), etc.

I think mine would almost have to be Watson, simply because the Sherlock stories were some of the first "adult" fiction I ever read, and I devoured all of them the summer between sixth and seventh grade.

*NIAM is totally not a thing. Not even remotely a thing.

Jack Torrance without a doubt. "Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in."

I have read that book too many times but not enough.

JoshSpaceCole

Mostly I just avoid real life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshua-cole.com
Ma boy S. Morgenstern, if only because I totally believed in him the first time I read The Princess Bride. There's a little Morgenstern in all of us.

That, and I gotta throw a shout out to Abdul Alhazred, just because I like imagining the dude writing and rewriting the Necronomicon and trying to get it juuuust right.

ericgore

Registered
Reaction score
I would dress like my main character in the book. Long white hair, black overcoat and boots, with my gleaming vorpal blade ready to strike.

ericgore

Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice. I still haven't read anything that tops her series. Although there have been some good ones.

keiju

Registered
Reaction score

Bilbo Baggins!

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score

Mine would be Joach from James Clemens Wit'ch Fire series. I'm sure there's a proper name for the series, but I'm too lazy to look it up just now.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

Oh come now...it's the month of October and no one is going to pick Screwtape?

Fine. I'll claim him! He writes a devilish letter, indeed. ;)

spieles

Registered
Reaction score

I just read David Copperfield, and therefore, can think of no one else. But he's such a well intentioned idiot - and he turns out all right in the end.

KaiSmetham

Registered
Reaction score

I think I'd have to go for Agnes Nutter and her Nice Prophecies. After all, she's one of the few that (almost) got her End of the World prophecy right!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your Eyes Do Not Deceive You! A NEW QOTW!

Seeing as it's Halloween (least here in the US)

What are you going to dress up as? And before you answer "Nothing," I present the alternative QOTW: You are invited to a book-themed Halloween party? What are you going to dress up as?

If you still answer "nothing," I will stuff your reps with sheep.

My answer actually works for both: my 10 yo girl and I are going as the mad doctor and her monster.