Writing a M/F Romance with Bisexual Undertones

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
In my novel I have bisexual undertones (female/female), although the romance in it is between a male and female. Some people who have been critiquing my novel and think it's kind of.... strange. Like they thought my character was lesbian at first and said that goofing around with other girls is not flirting to them.

I am bisexual myself.... And I do flirt with my straight girlfriends sometimes. So is it weird that I would have that in a romance novel between a female and a male?

I just worry about turning people off of my story. But I do not want to remove the female/female stuff because.... Well it's normal to me.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is a difference between "the way you've written this, it just doesn't ring true to me" and "I do not do this, and therefore it would not be realistic that anyone else would do it either". The former is an author's-craft problem; the latter is a privileged/narrow-minded-reader problem. Without reading your book, it's hard to guess where the problem might lie.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
There is a difference between "the way you've written this, it just doesn't ring true to me" and "I do not do this, and therefore it would not be realistic that anyone else would do it either". The former is an author's-craft problem; the latter is a privileged/narrow-minded-reader problem. Without reading your book, it's hard to guess where the problem might lie.

Pretty sure it's the "I don't do this, therefore no one else does either." No one has commented on the believability on it.

Thanks though, the idea it's just a narrow thought really helps me.

Status
Not open for further replies.