• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where can I get my work reviewed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone recommend any sites for publishing WIP to get feedback and maybe some Beta readers?

I've looked at 'Booksie', but my story contains quite a bit of formatting so I don't think it would work...

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
You mean critiqued, right?

Here in AW we have the Share Your Work section in the Writing Lab.

You need 50+ posts to put your work up on it, but you can view and comment on other people from the start. Please read all the stickies in the Main SYW section board. On top of that: Read the Newbie's Guide in the New Members forum and the FAQ and take a good look around--there's a lot to take in. Take your time, get to know the community.

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You mean critiqued, right?

Here in AW we have the Share Your Work section in the Writing Lab.

You need 50+ posts to put your work up on it, but you can view and comment on other people from the start. Please read all the stickies in the Main SYW section board. On top of that: Read the Newbie's Guide in the New Members forum and the FAQ and take a good look around--there's a lot to take in. Take your time, get to know the community.

all I get with that link is

Your administrator has required a password to
access this forum. Please enter this password
now.
Note: This requires cookies!
Password:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
all I get with that link is

Your administrator has required a password to
access this forum. Please enter this password
now.
Note: This requires cookies!
Password:

Here:

AW Writing Lab
Roll up your sleeves, put in your BIC time, and write! Posting and critting, here.

Share Your Work (5 Viewing)
This is a forum for peer critique and review. You can mention if we need to be gentle with you, or if you like your crits rough - but please do NOT post material if you don't want to receive feedback. The password for this forum is: vista

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of sites that specialize in this. One is Critique Circle . Another is Scribophile . There are others, but this is what I have in my favorites.

On those sites, you have to earn points by critiquing other people's work (which is surprisingly educational), you can review past critiques of people's posts, and once you have enough points, you can post a chapter or whatever of your work for critique. Each critique is done in isolation, i.e. you can't see what other people have said until after you've finished your critique-- so there's no bandwagon effect or piling on.

I hang out at CC, but there's a lot of variation of opinion about which one is "best." Also, some people get lots of crits, and some get nada.

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of sites that specialize in this. One is Critique Circle . Another is Scribophile . There are others, but this is what I have in my favorites.

On those sites, you have to earn points by critiquing other people's work (which is surprisingly educational), you can review past critiques of people's posts, and once you have enough points, you can post a chapter or whatever of your work for critique. Each critique is done in isolation, i.e. you can't see what other people have said until after you've finished your critique-- so there's no bandwagon effect or piling on.

I hang out at CC, but there's a lot of variation of opinion about which one is "best." Also, some people get lots of crits, and some get nada.

Thanks. They sound like what I need. I don't really want to post my work here as I plan to hang out a bit, and I don't want people judging me. lol

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely read the stickies and FAQs before posting in Share Your Work even on AW. I think we're a pretty welcoming bunch that hang out over there but if I see a thread I do usually assume the author is looking for how to improve the work.

Welcome aboard! *horn sounds, sails fall into the wind, waves lap at the prow and we're off!*

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
You can also post a thread in the Beta Readers Forum.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also post a thread in the Beta Readers Forum.

Even that works better when you've been here a while, but yeah, this way you get people who are interested in your genre-- and are the people who would pick it up in the book store. Make sure you include your blurb when you post a request.

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Project 2015

Have you seen the thread for Beta Project 2015? Its here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305581

I'm participating for the first time and it looks pretty amazing. I checked out some of the entries from last year's project and I'm really excited. There's no minimum post requirement and all entries and crits are anonymous. You're pretty much guaranteed to get some feedback on your opening and you might end up with offers to beta your entire manuscript. Not to mention, it's a great way to practice critting others work which we all know is the best way to improve our own :)

I don't think you need to worry about anyone here judging you, though. Critiquing the work you put up for critiques, yes. But judging, no. I'm new here myself, but everyone I've interacted with has been super supportive.

Best of luck and I hope to see you around!

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
No I'm ok with people judging my work. I'm worried about people judging me as a person. I'm a fan of grit and grime.

I guess that's what pseuds are for.

Oldborne

Registered
Reaction score
No one else has mentioned them so I'll suggest Goodreads and Youwriteon. Goodreads I've gotten some pretty solid feedback from, and even found a really inexpensive editor.

Youwriteon is good, but not brilliant in my opinion. I spent a good year or so on there, and now realise that it was probably time poorly spent. It's a point system, which is fine, you review a work and assign points to your own work. But I often found that I'd wait for months on end to get any sort of feedback and when I did get feedback it'd be as close to the minimum word count as was possible and would usually start with, "This isn't my genre, but...".

I think youwriteon would be great for short fiction, less so for larger bodies of work.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
No I'm ok with people judging my work. I'm worried about people judging me as a person. I'm a fan of grit and grime.

If that's seriously what you're concerned about, just keep in mind the we have subforums for different genres in SYW, and frankly, we see a lot of things here. Mostly, I think the closest someone will get to "judging" your content is to tell you when certain subjects might be problematic in your particular market or for particular publishers. You might preface with a warning about sensitive issues.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score

If you have a problem with being judged, or with your work being judged, you're in the wrong hobby. The most important key to making it as a writer (besides writing) is growing thick skin. Sooner you get it, the better. And there's no faster way to get it then to submit work to places like SYW.

Trust me, published writers have it way worse than a person being 'judged' in a sub-forum here on AW.

That said, check out SYW. See what people are saying about other people's work. Post a few opinions of your own, if you have them. It's a great place to learn, and you don't even have to submit work to learn.

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
No one else has mentioned them so I'll suggest Goodreads and Youwriteon. Goodreads I've gotten some pretty solid feedback from, and even found a really inexpensive editor.

Youwriteon is good, but not brilliant in my opinion. I spent a good year or so on there, and now realise that it was probably time poorly spent. It's a point system, which is fine, you review a work and assign points to your own work. But I often found that I'd wait for months on end to get any sort of feedback and when I did get feedback it'd be as close to the minimum word count as was possible and would usually start with, "This isn't my genre, but...".

I think youwriteon would be great for short fiction, less so for larger bodies of work.

Can you put your own work on Goodreads? I can't see an option.

RandyPendleton

Registered
Reaction score
No I'm ok with people judging my work. I'm worried about people judging me as a person.

Can you elaborate on this? Why would people judge you? Yeah, I can understand being judgmental about a work... but are you afraid people will read your work and believe it's a reflection of you?

If you have a memoir, I suppose it'd make some sense. What kinda book do you have?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. They sound like what I need. I don't really want to post my work here as I plan to hang out a bit, and I don't want people judging me. lol

Nope. The only judging I have noticed is in Politics and Current Events. And that is not really judging, because RYFW comes into play and the mods swoop.

But you do form opinions of different people.......that is inevitable, but it is not judging, it is in your (generic "your," not specific to anyone) head. You will find a wide variety of people that you could not possibly meet together as a group in real life, simply because there are so many.

Use the forum as a resource/library and expand your horizons. There is a risk of addiction.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Well, amazon, I suppose if you're looking to self publish. Or smashwords. I'm sure there are other platforms. And people review stuff on goodreads. I don't know much about how that works, though. I'd suggest seeking out beta readers before you publish or get reviewed, though. There's a forum here on AW for people looking for critting partners and beta readers.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's better to just bite the bullet and post it. It only hurts for a little while, haha. But seriously, you may be mortified to be corrected but to everyone else on there, it's just another one of many stories, all needing various degrees of help. Getting over the shyness is a necessary step. Otherwise consider what you'll do when it's published and some nitwit comes along and gives you a one star review, then completely and incorrectly lambastes you- publicly and when there's no chance for a re-do. Oh yes, they will! :Wha:

And hey, if there's any critiquer on here who thinks they know it all and that their own writing is above any correction, just let us know so we can laugh them off the planet! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.